How young is TO young for the kids first wheeling trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How young is TO young for the kids first wheeling trip

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How young is TO young for the kids first wheeling trip

SO... My boy just turned two and is in love with "daddy jeep" . I am going wheeling soon and am so of up in the air about taking him... He rides well and loves the jeep, so.... Is 2 to young... MOM says yes and I say no... whats your opinion?

Pocket

Last edited by samuraisavr; 09-16-2008 at 08:03 PM..
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
bushytails

I say make sure he's buckled in tightly and drive slowly.

--Bushytails
bushytails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
MissMurder
Enemy of all chicks

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytails View Post
I say make sure he's buckled in tightly and drive slowly.

--Bushytails

Agreed. If he can sit well, go for it. Just go on a short trail.

I think they are only too young if they can't sit up on their own, or fuss too much being in a vehicle.

Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #218

Just so you all know, If I think you're an ******* I will gladly tell you. I'm not your everyday girl, so don't expect me to act like one. And yeah, I do like it topless and dirty!

Quoted Jetscuh: "I really have to force myself to eat nuts. There are other forms of protein as well, but it can be hard making sure you get enough at times."
MissMurder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Had my daughter out at 3 months old. She loved it. My son is 6 months now and is only happy if there are bumps in the road LOL.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
_Trucker
'Bigger Member'

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Is there such thing as to young????maybe before the cord is cut,but after that it's all good!!

NAXJA member # 3388
_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I dont think 2 is to young had my little boy out when he was around 1 and it was not a short trip but he did great sitting all day and actually fell asleep on the trail a few times.

Of course after a long day with him strapped in he was absolutely crazy when we got home and he was able to run around. He is 2 now and loves "daddy's jeep".
5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's. http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/IMG_0007.jpg
fedrusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
madrabbitt

Shoot. We took the rug rat camping in the mountains when he was tiny.
Probably not even 6 months.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
NEVER-ENOUGH
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2 is not too young IMO. Know the limitations though. You don't want the kid's brain turning into scrambled brains.
On that same thought. It's not yourself you need to worry about, it's the 1 in a million wheeler' out there not playing with a full deck (so too speak.)
I've seen ALOT of close calls out in the trails, even while one was parked. They do call them accidents for a reason.
NEVER-ENOUGH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #9
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
Shoot. We took the rug rat camping in the mountains when he was tiny.
Probably not even 6 months.
Same here, my son started going camping, and doing some wheeling at 6mos. At about 5 I started letting him sit in my lap and steer down the dirt roads, he loved it. He's 15 now, recently got his learners permit, and is bugging me to lift the 98 XJ I bought for him last year.
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #364[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #101[/COLOR]
Slowride63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Both my boys started doing the proper bumpy stuff when they were about 18 months old (camping weekends at events and day long trail driving) They always loved it The youngest is now coming up to 2 1/2 yrs old and never stops talking about winches and fat chunky tires. The biggest problem I found was the afternoon nap as it can get a bit tricky driving with one hand holding the youngsters head to stop it falling off! They even slept during trial competitions! I never read about you US guys doing trials, perhaps it's a Brit thing but we lay out sections with 10 gates and you have to drive through as many of the gates (a pair of canes stuck in the ground about 3 yards apart) as you can without stopping and without hitting the canes.
Otherwise get a seat with good harnesses and good side head supports to stop the neck from taking too much strain when you start rocking side to side. The car seat we used (might not be available in the US but probably is in much of Europe) was great as it had a lever that put mucho tension into the 3 point belt so the seat couldn't move then had a 5 point harness to hold the child securely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!

Last edited by sprintagogo; 08-16-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: speelling!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #11
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my dad always threw me in the car seat in the back of his 89 xj right after i was born. apparently the bumps were soothing to me and i'd fall asleep. got bit by the jeep bug early
mJUSTINm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Chad29860

Not too young!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraisavr View Post
SO... My boy just turned to and is in love with "daddy jeep" . I am going wheeling soon and am so of up in the air about taking him... He rides well and loves the jeep, so.... Is 2 to young... MOM says yes and I say no... whats your opinion?
My daughter took her first trip at 1. DO IT! He will love it.
Chad29860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:42 PM   #13
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Too young?!?! such a thing?

As long as they are strapped in securely and you aren't tackling anything too risky, any age should be good

and totally offtopic...

and totally just doing this for an informative piece because I was an english major, and not trying to be a ****

two = 2
too = to an excessive extent, used like too young; and used as in addition; also, I like that, too!
to = used just about every other time besides the two above
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 07:47 PM   #14
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dude, the very BEST memories are of my old man driving home around christmas time in an old SCOUT through blowing, blinding, drifting snow, coming up over the hood and pushing the floorboards up, half the time we werent actually on any roads and didnt realize it until later......and memories like that stick with you forever.

And I was probably about ....2, maybe 3 years old at the time. That was probaly 1971 or 72, and we still have the old scout. He kept it for me for my 18th birthday, just as my son will get my XJ.

- in short, kids love that shiznit. Go for it. You are solely responsible for any puke or dirty diapers, though.

4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
RBxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Too young? How far along is she?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.