How to test drive 1999 Cherokee xj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How to test drive 1999 Cherokee xj

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #16
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyone even cut a FRAM open recently? People throw that "FRAM filters suck" thing around so much, but I haven't seen anything CURRENT about them. For all we know, they're just fine these days, but because of ignorant interweb info-regurgitators, dated info might be getting spread around.

What I KNOW for certain is the Purolator PureOnes are great and that Wix/NAPA Golds are also great. Anything else good or bad I'm unsure of because people recirculate old info instead of keeping current.

Anyway, yes, there is a larger filter you can use. Whatever brand you buy, I highly encourage you to use a synthetic oil with that larger filter; you can push your oil change interval safely to at least 5000 miles if not 7-8k. Shell Rotella T6 0w-40, German (look for mention of Euro blend or "Made in Germany/Belgium" on the back) Castrol 0w-30, and Mobil 1 0w-40 are all great oil synthetic choices for the 4.0. Lots of insane research helped me arrive at that list. Really, the 4.0 isn't picky at all and could practically run on vegetable oil, but if you're going to buy oil, why not buy an ideal oil, right? Everyone has an opinion on oil, but at the very least, don't let somebody slam you with the myth that you need some specific oil because of the 4.0, its flat-tappet cam, and ZDDP (they much just call it zinc); it's a commonly-held misconception around here that we simply don't need to get into.

I have absolutely no insight into your parking brake situation, but for goofy, hard-to-find original typey parts, TeamCherokee.com is a common stop for me. Morris 4x4 (jeep4x4center.com) has also come through for me where other places haven't for some parts.

mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
straight67

OK, jeep needed a new o2 sensor after the cat. Finally got the sucker out with a pipe wrench and a torch, left the threads in the cat. Going to replace the cat, muffler and tail pipe. Any advice? Brands? Eastern Catalytic converter? I need a muffler that's quiet as my will complain other wise. How about advice on separating the cat from the pipe leading from the engine? If the o2 sensor was that rusted in I guess I am in for a treat in removing it. Auto parts guys said just cut it and splice it in there with some adapters. Is there some tool or trick to separating these pipes or should I just splice them in. Appreciate your help as always.
straight67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.