How should I convince my parents to let me go doorless? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How should I convince my parents to let me go doorless?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #31
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

honestly...id weld together a simple pair of tube doors just for the fact of having an arm rest haha. Plus, make sure you let them know that THE DOORS WILL BE CAPABLE OF GOING BACK ON. rents dont like to see you 'destroy' something that they/you might want to resell down the road.

PS. go with the 31's.

Arbslikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM   #32
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

maybe thats why they dont care what i do to it. cause i aint sellin my rig :nice:
aircruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #33
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
this thread brings the lawls.
Yea, Im laughing at myself for mentioning that I even have parents on the webs.

Never turns out well.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #34
wil badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post
I never asked about the legality either, only commented that my parents think it is illegal. It's not in my area.

I'm comparing 3 projects, and I wanted some help with convincing my parents.
And what makes you think that it's legal in your area you sat down and read every vehicle statute for your state.I have serious doubts that it is legal in Cali being they are one of the strictest states out there when it comes to vehicle modification.

So I brought up the fact that it is most likely illegal to have no doors on.I also stated that in reality tubes doors are not really legal in most states either.

If you feel you are up to the task of yanking almost all of your drive line and replacing it go for.If you want your vehicle to be down for several days while you attempt it ,do it.

You will have to purchase a whole lot of parts to make it happen.new transmission,cross member,front and rear drive shafts,pedal assembly,linkages or hydraulic slave cylinder ,oh and last but not least a new computer for a 5 speed since yours in for an auto.

As for which project to choose.Go put some 31's on the Jeep and enjoy it.
Unread 08-14-2008, 08:38 PM   #35
black2door
Web Wheeler

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenxj513 View Post

ohhhh and when it comes to the 5-speed, yea its fun driving stick around town but the second you do some serious wheeling you'll probably think otherwise.
I like wheelin with my 5 speed. Its not hard, I dont have to even touch the clutch that often. Sometimes you have to ride it a little, but thats just a sacrafice I make for wheeling.

1994 Black XJ 2 door - 4.0 - Auto - Making a wheelin rig
Beefy steering - 33" Bighorns - 3" bastard lift - Welded rear

black2door is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #36
in_motion
1996 XJ Cherokee 

it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

just make sure your state's vehicle law doesnt say something like "if the factory put it on for saftey, you can't take it off". damn pa laws, grumble, mumble...
in_motion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:49 PM   #37
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

some **** faced neighbor called me in for having no rear bumper once and the cop came over and just said dont really worry about it, he just needed to follow through with the call. but i had the doors off and had taken off my mirror brackets since i was putting them back on and the cop said it was completely legal since the other jeeps can do it. id ask a cop but i never did until i talked to one when my doors were already off.

and yeah, wheeling with a 5 speed is easy. muddin i never touch the clutch unless i get stuck and usually just roam around in 1st in 2WD and put it in 4 when going over rougher terrain.
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #38
wil badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
the cop said it was completely legal since the other jeeps can do it. id ask a cop but i never did until i talked to one when my doors were already off.
And this shows the ignorance of city cops.They have no idea themselves .Like I said if you really want to know ask a State Trooper he will know the ins and outs of the statutes .
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #39
precooked
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ever considered takin your parents for a cruise with the doors off to let them at least experience it...might be a little easier for ya if they can at least understand where youre comin from
precooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #40
EagleStorm
2008 WK 

He's 17 he needs door's and a hard top with a roll bar at 17 your superman so you think. First it's no doors then you wont need your seatbelt just to go to the quicky mart untill someone cuts you off then you jerk the wheel to miss him and bam there go's your jeep and your on your *** in the road oh yea look behind you there's a BIG TRUCK I am with your dad NO
EagleStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #41
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil badger View Post
And this shows the ignorance of city cops.They have no idea themselves .Like I said if you really want to know ask a State Trooper he will know the ins and outs of the statutes .
yeah but then he will probably write you a ticket for asking and then tell you its legal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by precooked View Post
ever considered takin your parents for a cruise with the doors off to let them at least experience it...might be a little easier for ya if they can at least understand where youre comin from
id have to agree. people always ask me "why would you take your doors off? its so stupid.." then i give them a ride in it and they completely understand.
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #42
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
yeah but then he will probably write you a ticket for asking and then tell you its legal..
but its not.....

NYS law is just about the same as the other 49 states. its something like "if a door was not removable from the factory, it is not legal to drive without them" and most states require two mirrors, one inside and at least the driver's side view.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:24 PM   #43
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
but its not.....

NYS law is just about the same as the other 49 states. its something like "if a door was not removable from the factory, it is not legal to drive without them" and most states require two mirrors, one inside and at least the driver's side view.
thats why ya rig some up

the way i see it, its like this. you can be like my neighbors across the street who stay in their house, looking out their window for people they can call the cops on and the only sun they actually get is when they walk out to their car and you can live a safe, 100% legal and boring *** life. or you can try and have some fun once in awhile. sure some things may not be legal but with all the laws there are now days, its almost impossible to obey all they laws. as i mentioned above, the cop said it was legal because the other jeeps could do it. im not saying that means its legal for everyone but it was just something i brought up.
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM   #44
BorderC
1991 XJ Cherokee 

No doors is ok here in CA as long as you have side mirrors. Personally I wouldn't take my doors off though. You can hang your head out the window and see fine. Go with the tires. Stick with the auto too, swapping because "I like manual" isn't worth the cost or time.
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #45
aircruiser
gravity sucks

1996 XJ Cherokee 

honestly, i went wheeling doorless and its much easier to self spot on your drivers side. and it just makes 12mpg much more pleasurable..haha

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.