How should I convince my parents to let me go doorless? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How should I convince my parents to let me go doorless?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

just grab the 31's man. you can go doorless anytime

Unread 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #17
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

my parents dont really care what i do to my jeep as long as its not illegal. when i took my doors off, my parents were pissed only because it took longer than i thought and i was 4 hours late for work..

my mom doesnt like it because of the safety issue but again, they dont really control what i do to my jeep since i pay for everything to do with it. if you want to go doorless bad enough, just use the old "atleast im not dropping out of high school and doing drugs everyday" thing.
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #18
SpoiledRotten
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are you a brat at home? Not being smarty here, but if you are a little spoiled brat that whines when you don't get your way, they may be justified in saying that they don't think you can do a project. That applies to anyone that has a lower responsibility level than someone that takes on projects with final results to prove they are responsible to make certain decisions. I was the kind that had the mentality and the nads to state that if I couldn't do something, it couldn't be done, and I proved it many times to my parents. They had confidence in my abilities from a very young age. My dad would ask me to do certain projects to help him out since he was an office type, didn't know how to do some projects, and I was a go get my hands dirty type.
If they don't want you to take the door off, then live with their decision until you get out from under their roof. You owe them that. If you are man enough to make all decisions then you need to be out making your own living. Simple. Time will take care of all of that. Enjoy the easy life you have now. You'll not have the choice soon enough.

This, I'm sure, is not what you wanted to hear, but it's part of the parents' rule book. They paid their dues, just like you are going to pay yours and will be able to dictate your kids' life while they live with you.

Again, I'M NOT SAYING YOU ARE THE IRRESPONSIBLE TYPE. If you are though, you will have to gain the confidence from them by changing your ways and proving that you are. One poster above stated that he took the doors off of his and by doing so at that time, was late for work... This would give his parents just cause to deem him an irresponsible person. Don't be that type. Put your priorities in the right order.

You asked for opinions and not all will be exactly what you like to hear.
Christian Jeepers _ Member #2
United Four Wheel Drive Association _ Member
National Rifle Association _ Member
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
One poster above stated that he took the doors off of his and by doing so at that time, was late for work... This would give his parents just cause to deem him an irresponsible person. Don't be that type. Put your priorities in the right order.

well, this was in the process of taking the doors off for the first time which involves cutting the pins and popping them out and dis-connecting everything. it took me way longer than expected and all i got was a write-up at work which gets cleared at the end of 90 days anyways so it wasnt a bad thing. my parents trust me and im almost always home by curfew and i have yet to get a ticket (got one in my old car but i got off with probation). either way, not all parents work the same way and ive built up alot of trust with my parents so that little incident meant almost nothing to them.
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
Are you a brat at home? Not being smarty here, but if you are a little spoiled brat that whines when you don't get your way...
unintended pun?

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM   #21
Bullseye
1998 XJ Cherokee 

At least your parents let you lift your Jeep...

If you aren't allowed to go doorless and the 5-speed doesn't work out either just grab the 31's and run (not literally though).

Maybe convince your dad to have someone help you take the doors off if they are worried that you won't be able to do it.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #22
greenxj513
1995 XJ Cherokee 

18 and was in the same boat.....except the xj's title was under my name, i pay my insurance in full, and all upkeep and gas costs were on me. they didnt want me to lift it......so i did. they get over it eventually.

The same thing with the doors too, they go off and on so easily my parents dont even know. i just leave them at my friends and go wheeling or driving around. I guess someday one of them will see me, but like i said they get over it.

ohhhh and when it comes to the 5-speed, yea its fun driving stick around town but the second you do some serious wheeling you'll probably think otherwise.
greenxj513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #23
greenxj513
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
just use the old "atleast im not dropping out of high school and doing drugs everyday" thing.
I used that once when i missed curfew cause i went night wheeling... I know irresponsible on my part. I know i was wrong and had no excuse when my mom was yelling at me so i said that as a last ditch effort to save myself. I didnt expect it to work..... but good 'ol dad says, "U kno honey, he has a point. At least hes got his heart into something better than partying, although it still doesnt excuse him for being late."

When I saw you said that and thought wow i have to share this story.
greenxj513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #24
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Doorless isn't that great. I just did it to my jeep last week and I am putting my doors back on. Sure its nice driving to the lake when its 100 degrees out but its just not practical. I hate not being able to keep anything in my jeep and not being able to park my vehicle just anywhere. That and I had to drop off my girlfriend last night at midnight and we froze our asses off going down the highway. She, fortunately, brought a blanket and bundled up. O and you loose two front speakers, unless you spend $170 and get kicker panel box which will likely get ripped off. Honestly, it's not worth it.
30/44 4.88s Disks all around
Rear Detroit/Open front
littleblackXj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenxj513 View Post
I used that once when i missed curfew cause i went night wheeling... I know irresponsible on my part. I know i was wrong and had no excuse when my mom was yelling at me so i said that as a last ditch effort to save myself. I didnt expect it to work..... but good 'ol dad says, "U kno honey, he has a point. At least hes got his heart into something better than partying, although it still doesnt excuse him for being late."

When I saw you said that and thought wow i have to share this story.
yeah x2 but it doesnt seem to work with my mom. shes just like yeah thats great but you still got home 2 hours after curfew. she just doesnt want the police involved is all. she trusts me otherwise.
Unread 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #26
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleblackXj View Post
Doorless isn't that great. I just did it to my jeep last week and I am putting my doors back on. Sure its nice driving to the lake when its 100 degrees out but its just not practical. I hate not being able to keep anything in my jeep and not being able to park my vehicle just anywhere. That and I had to drop off my girlfriend last night at midnight and we froze our asses off going down the highway. She, fortunately, brought a blanket and bundled up. O and you loose two front speakers, unless you spend $170 and get kicker panel box which will likely get ripped off. Honestly, it's not worth it.
i do it for fun wheeling and its fun cruising to the beach and even though i dont ever plan on being a designated driver (back seats have no windows to roll down) if i ever am, whoever im giving a ride home doesnt even have to roll down the window. they just heave out the side. as for weather, just something ya gotta deal with. ive been rained on 3 times now being doorless and its like trail damage. once you learn to accept it, it makes everything alot more fun.
Unread 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #27
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

In response to every one.

"Brat", no, not at all. They've seen how much I care about this vehicle, paying for all the after market parts, doing ALL my own work, and really immersing myself in all this new info, and frankly a new community of fellow Jeepers.

I've only been thinking about it because obviously, it's a Jeep thing, but moreover, I constantly drive windows down, as well as park windows down. I keep no valuables in heep.

As far as being 18, I agree, I'd love to do it once the Heep is under my name completely, but that was the purpose of this thread, to ask, "What could I do to convince my parents?"

Im not going to whine. It's not that big of a deal. I thought it'd be cool, based on how cheap it can be, and how different of a mod it is.

Oh, and Eric, I've been looking into the manual swap simply because I like it better. I failed at making a 1-2 selection switch, and driving up north on the freeways, I find myself shifting from d to 3 all the time, and like the challenge of being in control.

Thanks to everyone for commenting.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #28
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

wheeling with a manual isnt all that hard. only thing i worry about is when juggling the clutch and gas rock crawling because i dont want to smoke the clutch but dont want to give it to much gas and **** **** up. but i love having a manual and find myself almost falling asleep driving an automatic now.
Unread 08-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #29
Mudweiserjeep
1970 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsXJ View Post
I would go with the 31" tires.

About the doorless thing, you are 16 turning 17 and living at home with mom and dad. They make the rules. And probably pay the bills too. Do what they say and they will be happy which will make you happy. You can wait till you are 18 to do what you want or when you move out. Not going doorless won't be the end of the world.

5-speed swap? Why? Just to have the novelty of driving a stick? I'd keep the AW4.

Just my opinion.
X2 I totally agree
231 V6
2.5"bds lift, 0.75" shackle lift, 4:88 gears
31" Old tires..... need newer ones....going 35"
www.earlycj5.com
Mudweiserjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2008, 03:27 PM   #30
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

this thread brings the lawls.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.