How should I convince my parents to let me go doorless? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How should I convince my parents to let me go doorless?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How should I convince my parents to let me go doorless?

So long story short.

Im turning 17 in september and have narrowed my top 3 choices for gifts, or projects.

In order (but not by ease of achievement)

1- 5 speed swap -Hard to do, but worth it, I've got a few people that could help, one that has done it.

2- Doorless(my dad won't let me right now)

3- 31 inch all terrains.

Because of the cost of 1 and 3, I really want to go doorless.

What should I say? They think it's illegal, and unsafe, but 90% of my driving is around town, to get food, parts, and to bowl.

Thanks!

srmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
funinmud
1998 XJ Cherokee 

tell them that after you take off the doors you will begin designing some tube doors that you will either build(if you have a welder) or have a friend build. thats what i would do. ive also wanted to do a 5 speed swap. i love driving stick

98 XJ on 32's and 2-3" lift, locked, armored, and ready to rock.
funinmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
McWood
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Dude tell them to look at any wrangler. why should your xj be any different than that as far as the law goes. You probably will need a mirror of some sort to keep it legal. if they don't buy it then tell you'll build some tube doors. as far as safety goes, thats what a seat belt is for.
Unread 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, Im already looking at the set cruzin illusion is making. They look sick, and Im totally engaged in doorless Jeeps.
Unread 08-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
xfanatic15
1999 WJ 

id do the 5 speed swap, the doorless project can be a hard one to argue against parents
xfanatic15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

True, but my dad is kinda against the swap too.

They base everything on "Well you probably don't know how, or can't do it"

It's a lame assumption.
Unread 08-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tell them to support you and that you have goals LOL.

I'd do the dorrless mod and 31s.

Taking the doors off free and if you can find some scrap stell and have a buddy with a bender and welder fab up some. Then they might be like, "well son good job you did know how. When are you going to do the 5 speed swap?"
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #8
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Haha, my parent have never said son, lol.

If I did it, my dad would go outside and be like "sweet."

I don't know when. But It's number one on my list. Theres just so many barriers. (Finding parts, getting a new clutch, installation, and money in general.)
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

the easiest thing for most parents to understand is money. brake down the costs of each project. the doorless option will come out the cheapest. and you can always use the argument that it's also the easiest to undo. show them how easy it will be to take them on and off so if they decide at a later time that they really don't like it, you can put the doors back on in 10 minutes. (and take them off when they're not around )
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
xj964
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Explain to them that doorless is the cheapest mod and that you could do tube doors if that makes them feel better. So many wranglers are doorless and nothing happens so why not keep a tradition going. I've always wanted to convert an auto to a manual, but I don't think it would be worth it. 31's are nice, but I think you will have more fun doorless.
xj964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
wil badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokaneeGold View Post
Dude tell them to look at any wrangler. why should your xj be any different than that as far as the law goes. You probably will need a mirror of some sort to keep it legal. if they don't buy it then tell you'll build some tube doors. as far as safety goes, thats what a seat belt is for.
Uhm they are different because Wranglers come/came from the factory with removable doors.Most states have a law in place that state "any vehicle that came with non removable doors most remain so."That is why in most states if you want to get technical it is illegal to remove them.

This has been covered here over and over.So now that I have said this the thread is going to get filled with all these people say how "its legal in my state because I've never gotten a ticket".Guess what ? That does mean squat just because you haven't been pulled over for it doesn't make it legal. Most cops could careless or just don't know the statute regarding this particular law so they shake their head and drive on.A local cop might not bother you where as a state officer would know the statutes in and out and give you the ticket if they felt so inclined.

Look at any major manufacture of tube doors and usually there is a clause some where by the product listing that will state " for offroad use only".Why do you think that? Because its not legal on the street.Even then it could be debated as to whether they are legal offroad as well .Depending on where you wheel.If its a state park and or a government maintained road your vehicle would still have to comply to all state laws just as it would on a paved street.
Unread 08-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil badger View Post
Uhm they are different because Wranglers come/came from the factory with removable doors.Most states have a law in place that state "any vehicle that came with non removable doors most remain so."That is why in most states if you want to get technical it is illegal to remove them.

This has been covered here over and over.So now that I have said this the thread is going to get filled with all these people say how "its legal in my state because I've never gotten a ticket".Guess what ? That does mean squat just because you haven't been pulled over for it doesn't make it legal. Most cops could careless or just don't know the statute regarding this particular law so they shake their head and drive on.A local cop might not bother you where as a state officer would know the statutes in and out and give you the ticket if they felt so inclined.

Look at any major manufacture of tube doors and usually there is a clause some where by the product listing that will state " for offroad use only".Why do you think that? Because its not legal on the street.Even then it could be debated as to whether they are legal offroad as well .Depending on where you wheel.If its a state park and or a government maintained road your vehicle would still have to comply to all state laws just as it would on a paved street.
I've seen all those threads. This is not one of them.

I haven't said a word about how to do it, or how hard it is, or anything of that nature.

I never asked about the legality either, only commented that my parents think it is illegal. It's not in my area.

I'm comparing 3 projects, and I wanted some help with convincing my parents.
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmitchell View Post

1- 5 speed swap -Hard to do, but worth it, I've got a few people that could help, one that has done it.

2- Doorless(my dad won't let me right now)

3- 31 inch all terrains.
I would go with the 31" tires.

About the doorless thing, you are 16 turning 17 and living at home with mom and dad. They make the rules. And probably pay the bills too. Do what they say and they will be happy which will make you happy. You can wait till you are 18 to do what you want or when you move out. Not going doorless won't be the end of the world.

5-speed swap? Why? Just to have the novelty of driving a stick? I'd keep the AW4.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by EricsXJ; 08-14-2008 at 12:19 PM..
EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM   #14
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

i personally wouldn't go doorless until you have some lift and at least 31's. I think it'd look kinda goofy driving a doorless xj at stock height. just my .02 though
Unread 08-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #15
PILL
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil badger View Post
If you wanna get technical, all cars come with removable doors

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.