How much do you have in it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How much do you have in it?

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 04-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #1
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

How much do you have in it?

I need some reassurance that Im not crazy here.

In the last 5 years, I have over 10,000 dollars in parts reciepts. "Book value" is like, 3500 dollars........I am about to dump another 3000 in upgrades and general maintenance: Lockers, gears, new rims, tint and cowl hood.

I know that "book value" is a crock of doo-doo, but it is what most people try to jam up your butt when you are selling a vehicle, no matter how nice your rig is. mine is mechanically perfect, best of everything, and way better than stock, but looks like crapola.

I used to laugh at ricers/tuners that would put 10,000 dollars into a 1500 dollar economy car and it would be worth less than "book' after the "upgrades"........but am I now beginning to feel thier pain?

Tell me, honestly. Am I nuts, or am I doing the right thing? If this were a wrangler, I might get a better return on my investment. But I love this thing too much and I am too far into it to stop.

HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE INTO YOUR CHEROKEE, AND DO YOU FEEL IT WAS WORTH THE INVESTMENT?

4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #2
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not including regular maintenance, probably @$9-10k in my rig. It has JK Rubicon axles, a 4:1 kit in the 231 and sits on 35's for DD'ing and 37's for wheeling. Clayton long arms, full skid plates, etc.
Done right the mods will bring more money vs a stock rig. So long as someone who wants a wheeling rig buys it. Example is my old 1991 YJ.
It had a freshly built Chevy 4.3/700R4/Atlas with a Ford 8.8 and a built 30 up front. Full DOM cage SOA on 37's. Sold it for $9k
I would think of selling the XJ for less than $9k as it sits right now, so do not fear. Done right the mods will somewhat get more money than a stocker all day long.
Don't add up the maintenance stuff, as you will have that in anything you buy.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had about 4400 in my 98. I'd say I was able to keep almost all of the parts to swap over to the 97 luckily. When I was told by insurance I had to make an itemized list of all the aftermarket parts, I have to admit I was a little afraid to find out how much I put into it because I was content with not keeping track. Then after I gathered all my receipts/invoices I was a little shocked how I spent 4400 on parts added to it in 3.5 years. I couldn't help but think to myself that ignorance was bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'd better start keeping a folder of reciepts, then.

I come from the musclecar world. I have gotten quite used to any upgrade and/or repair increasing it's value and desirability. Almost anything I did to it would increase it's value, and I'd ALWAYS walk away ahead of the dollar on resale........ This was a complete slap-in-the-face shocker for me to realize the end product was actually worth LESS by book than I'd invested into it. I swear, if I didnt love this thing, i'd kick myself in the butuckus.

I get a huge laugh when I see dedicated rigs with fenders hacked, rockers torched out, interior gutted out and the whole rig herculined, holes punched in the hood.......and there is a price tag of 9000+ dollars on thier rig and it looks like butt. Then the laughing CEASES when you realize there's probably 15K grand in hardcore upgrades underneath it.......and I am getting there myself. lol
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
scavok
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I've had mine less than a year and have put about 1k into it. Another driver's insurance put about 1500 into it for bodywork and paint though .

To make a point of it I gotta say that if you plan on reselling it, no matter what you put into it, you gotta keep it looking and sounding good. Especially if it is a DD. Yes, there are buyers out there that will tell themselves "It's tough and crawls and has such n such upgrades, I don't care what it looks like." But then there are those that will say "It's tough and crawls and has such n such upgrades, but it doesn't even look good, how can I be sure the mechanics have been maintained if things as simple as the paint and trimmings aren't?"
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have about 4K into mine. That is parts only, suspension, tires, bits and pieces. Not including general maintenance stuff. It is my hobby, my DD and my trailer hauler...so I feel like I am doing pretty good!

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ View Post
I used to laugh at ricers/tuners that would put 10,000 dollars into a 1500 dollar economy car and it would be worth less than "book' after the "upgrades"........but am I now beginning to feel thier pain?
The difference here to make justification easier is that a majority of ricer mods are strictly aesthetic or for performance gains that are illegal off a track, (how many ricers do you think actually track theirs?) whereas a majority of off-road mods are actually functional, actively or passively. Unless they're decked-out mall crawlers, that is.

I've just started but already have about 6k into mine, (the winch w/synthetic line and bumpers are about 2/3 of that) but I don't ever plan on selling it so I don't care what any books say. I imagine by the time I'm "done" it'll be somewhere between 10k~12k.
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
XJWren
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i have about $1800 into mine! that includes the jeep
dscn3702.jpg  
XJWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #9
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Roughly $4,000 atm.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
HartinArmz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Including the Jeep, half my enlistment bonus But aftermarket wise, about $2400
ASSIST-PROTECT-DEFEND
HartinArmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

about 5500 w/o the price of the jeep. its on 33s, locked and will have 4.88s installed in the next week or so, many other small parts that add up over time... ugh dont wana think about it
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

i have spent more than i care to know about and more than I will ever admit to the wife,but it is well worth the investment.
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
96-XJ
1972 CJ5 

well the jeeps been payn me latly. just running her as the DD, no recent upgrades (although if i had the $ i would), just stacken up the miles and getting what i can out of her! judt keep running baby!!!

id say ive only got about $2000 in parts and lift goodies... im a bargin hunter
96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #14
96-XJ
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96-XJ View Post
well the jeeps been payn me latly. just running her as the DD, no recent upgrades (although if i had the $ i would), just stacken up the miles and getting what i can out of her! judt keep running baby!!!

id say ive only got about $2000 in parts and lift goodies... im a bargin hunter

its a hobby and no hobbys are cheap, atleast the fun ones arnt
96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
dlancer
2003 KJ Liberty 

I bought mine last fall to use during the winter instead of my Mustang. The Jeep worked out great. It gotme thru the snow storms and started everyday I needed it. I paid $1200.00 for it and put about $400.00 into a new clutch. Thats it so far. The rig does need brakes all around now. I also plan to put all new hoses, belts, and fluids into it over the summer.
dlancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.