How may miles for lift springs to settle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How may miles for lift springs to settle?

ORS Recovery RopeSynthetic Winch Rope from ORSFree shipping on Rugged Ridge XHD bumpers

Unread 03-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How may miles for lift springs to settle?

I've heard 1000 miles. I've heard 4000 miles.

What has been your experience?

I've had 5 lifts installed (3 Jeeps). I should know, but I can't remember how long it took for my prior lifts to settle. I guess 4000 miles would be a safe bet that it's settled, but I'm wondering how much settling might have occured after 1000 miles.

Unread 03-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Settle down. Throw a bunch of weight in the back for a while and it will settle sooner for you.
Rob K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It's been over 5 (?) years and mine have yet to settle...
(er, you asked about MILES... um...60K give or take?)
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
Vertical4
2014 JK Wrangler 

What do you mean settle? Are you talking about the lift losing its height? There is no "settling" time for lift kits because different off-roaders put lift kits through different conditions. A mall-crawler could drive his jeep to the mall and back and he wont lose his lift height because he has not limited and compressed the springs a lot. Someone who off-roads every weekend and actually used the lift kits would feel a better ride due to someone who just drives it around town. If you are talking about a "break-in" time, where your lift softens out then that solely depends on how you use it. Hope this helps

-Jim at Vertical4
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I mean breakin period.

Ya the above helps. My aligment guy says 1000 miles then realign to compensate for initial settling of like 1/4" to 1/2", and after that it might settle a little more during next 4000 miles or so. After that it's broken in and don't worry about it.

That's what he told me. I vaguely recall that ARB told me something similar.

It's already riding noticeably softer after 1000 miles. I haven't measured, but I think it's settled a little bit too.

I have fully flexed it out many times since installing it.

I was wondering if it's broken in yet. Probably almost broken in.
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I find it hard to believe that coil springs break in. Maybe lose some height over time but it's not like that trend should hit a magic spot and stop.

And resetting alignment for 1/4" of height sounds pretty precise.
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Isn't it normal practice to align after lifting and then align again after breakin?
Unread 03-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
Isn't it normal practice to align after lifting and then align again after breakin?
Never heard that but that doesn't make it not true.
Unread 03-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post
Never heard that but that doesn't make it not true.
Every tire store and 4x4 shop I ever talked to about lifts said that was standard practice.
Unread 02-26-2015, 11:12 PM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After around 4000 miles my OME springs finished settling. I lost a little height. I'd guess around 3/8" to 1/2". I now have 5000 miles on them and they haven't settled anymore since around 4000 miles.

I haven't carried any heavy loads, but I have many times pounded it hard and fast in mild prerunning conditions.

It also got smoother riding as the new springs and shocks got broken in. After around 3000 miles it was as smooth riding and broken-in as it's going to get.
Unread Yesterday, 01:37 AM   #11
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

My 3.5" OME springs have yet to settle any and still lift my jeep the same height as they did when I installed them; precisely the same measuring diff tube to frame rail. They've been installed for 2+ years and have somewhere around 10k miles on them. And I flex the hell out of them, especially with everyday torque lean and they just settle back to where they were. Great springs
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:41 PM   #12
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They are great springs. I love mine. I have the (no longer made) OME XJ light load rear springs, and OME TJ heavy load front springs.

Those OME TJ springs are pretty soft (just the way I like them). They're softer than OME XJ front springs. Even softer than stock XJ front springs.

My OME XJ light load rear springs are soft too.

So I probably got more setting due to using soft springs. I'm happy with it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #13
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine are the Medium Duty with an overload spring. Stout yet softer than any spring anybody local owns. And that's just about every major lift company
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My rear are almost to soft with weight of my gas tank skidplate. ARB tech supp tells me a slightly firmer option is to take OME medium load springs and remove overload leaf.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.