How many have gone for SMALLER tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How many have gone for SMALLER tires?

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 07-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How many have gone for SMALLER tires?

Need to get some new tires soon and as much as I love my BB w/31's, I don't want to re-gear, felt the difference between the 30's and 31's just with how it got a lil' more sluggish, and the gas mileage was a decent size difference as well... Hate to admit it, but my next set of tires will be back to 30's. They don't fill out the BB I got, but at this point, I don't even take her out off-road and it's a full DD.

How many of you had to go down a tire size for w/e reason? Just wondering if I'm alone here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Pics or ban.
JBassXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBassXJ View Post
Need to get some new tires soon and as much as I love my BB w/31's, I don't want to re-gear, felt the difference between the 30's and 31's just with how it got a lil' more sluggish, and the gas mileage was a decent size difference as well... Hate to admit it, but my next set of tires will be back to 30's. They don't fill out the BB I got, but at this point, I don't even take her out off-road and it's a full DD.

How many of you had to go down a tire size for w/e reason? Just wondering if I'm alone here...
I think you need to purchase a snuggie and a blow-up doll, because I think you are very much alone here...who goes smaller?!

No in all seriousness though, it makes since for your situation, if you really did notice a big difference in fuel economy and "sluggishness" and it is your DD, can't hurt to go down a size and save yourself a few bucks in the long run.

My vote: buy a $1,000 beater for your DD and keep building your rig BIGGER
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
rlitwin
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I went down a tire size. Its my DD and I tow a trailer. When I was looking for tires, I found 235/75r15 on sale - half the price of 30x9.5x15.
rlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
1984XJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
.My vote: buy a $1,000 beater for your DD and keep building your rig BIGGER
IMO It should be the other way around, i bought a beater for my DD and boy was that a mistake, i eventually got the smarts to to it the other way around, and now my beater is my Wheeler
_(o)_)____(o)_)--o)_)

Daily Driver Jeep #16
Utah Jeep'n
1984XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Starboard M

I am going from 245/75R16s to 245/70R16s on my DD for hopefully better power and mpg's. Im hoping the inch difference will help due to the height and weight (Going from E rate MTRs to D rated AT/KOs).

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think after Im done with the new Toyo 35s Im goona step down to a 295 which is a 34" in a BFG AT. Probably by the time Im done Ill have dare I say it my Zuki done and can play with it haha...
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
wes97
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984XJ View Post
IMO It should be the other way around, i bought a beater for my DD and boy was that a mistake, i eventually got the smarts to to it the other way around, and now my beater is my Wheeler
im with you. plus wheeling it like a beater is funner. you dont have to worry if your going to be able to drive it to work on monday
wes97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984XJ View Post

if I could I would b/c I think that's the smart way to go, wheelin' a non-daily driver must be loads of fun, I don't know what that's like at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Pics or ban.
JBassXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBassXJ View Post
if I could I would b/c I think that's the smart way to go, wheelin' a non-daily driver must be loads of fun, I don't know what that's like at all!
Its nice

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I treat my DD like it's a traig rig when I'm wheeling. I've got plenty of dents and scratches to prove it.

If you aren't going to wheel your XJ and don't want to regear, no point in getting big tires unless you want to fill the wheelwells. I had 32's with stock gears and didn't think the mileage was all that bad. I don't want to go smaller now because the times I do go wheeling, I need the biggest tires I can get. Plus I don't have the dough yet for two sets of wheels/tires.
Unread 07-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
dudeinajp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I went from 32" Bighorns to 31" BFG AT and I felt the power difference. I'm now considering going to some 30s or even 235s to get some more power back and better mpg. I may take the BB off depending on how it looks.
dudeinajp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.