How long does it have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How long does it have?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 04-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
wretchedjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

How long does it have?

I need some opinions on something. So I bought my XJ a little over a month ago and today I was replacing the oil in the transmission. When I get the drain plug to clean it off before I reinsert it I find that it is completely covered in a extremely fine silver shavings. It looked like joint past it was so thick.

Here is what it looed like:

Its tough to tell in the pic, all i had to take pictures with was my phone, but there is clump of it on the end of the drain plug and both spots are big globs of it. Does this mean my tranny is terminal or can I bring it back. I was just going to drain and refill it every 500 miles or so until i dont find any more of the shavings. Think that will be enough? Thank in advance.

Its a 94 with 170k and the ax15, 4l

www.freshprintsofhouston.com
wretchedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretchedjeep View Post
I need some opinions on something. So I bought my XJ a little over a month ago and today I was replacing the oil in the transmission. When I get the drain plug to clean it off before I reinsert it I find that it is completely covered in a extremely fine silver shavings. It looked like joint past it was so thick.

Here is what it looed like:

Its tough to tell in the pic, all i had to take pictures with was my phone, but there is clump of it on the end of the drain plug and both spots are big globs of it. Does this mean my tranny is terminal or can I bring it back. I was just going to drain and refill it every 500 miles or so until i dont find any more of the shavings. Think that will be enough? Thank in advance.

Its a 94 with 170k and the ax15, 4l
What does it sound like when you drive it? I would just replace the fluid and see how it does. With 170k that most likely is the original fluid.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
wretchedjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

The shifting was really rough. It didnt want to go into first. It would with a little coaxing but with difficulty. Then it actually started to grind just a touch sometimes going into third. Reverse has always been rough. I just took it out to the store a bit ago for supplies and it was shifting a lot smoother. I'm not drawing any conclusions from this thought as the store in only a mile away. I want to put more miles on it before I decide for sure it it is running any better.
Unread 04-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
blueridgexj98
1989 XJ Cherokee 

your lucky its still moving if you put oil in it haha im just bein an a$$
but it doesnt sound good i would change the fluid about 200 miles if it doesnt get worse do another 200
blueridgexj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

^^^ soo wrong. First of all it is oil. Second 10w-30 is what Chrysler reccomends (called them with vins of my 91 xj and buddies 97 tj, both ax-15.)

And Hell I can hear my damn tranny with the radio cranked almost all the way up and she's still turning. Its probly a matter of time till it ****s out on me at the most inopportune time

And yes it sounded like that long before I ever put 10w30 in
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #6
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Wait, thats the trannie drain plug? :-\

lol, I need to drain my trannie oil too but trying to find the Valvoline full synthetic gear oil is a PITA. (Won't use anything else in my AX-4)

@ mtb- lol. Wonder how long till my AX-4 dies. Bet the AX-4 I got now will last longer than your AX-15. :-)

This AX-4 I got has under 5,000 miles on it BRAND NEW. The PO's blew the motor about 800 miles after the trannie got replaced under warranty and they just parked the dang thing. So its been sitting since 93 until October 2010 when I got my hands on the Jeep it was in. This 85 has 183,000 miles on it. 90% of that mileage was between 86 and 92.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyordie

@ mtb- lol. Wonder how long till my AX-4 dies. Bet the AX-4 I got now will last longer than your AX-15. :-
Bet you a blown tranny mine goes longer!
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Small shavings on a tranny plug are normal.
No one can accurately see the shavings though, so it is your call.
I would drop the fluid in @500 miles just for peace of mind myself. If it is nice and clean, you can reuse it, or to flush it a little more put new fluid in it at that time. I would say that the oil will come out clean and the plug will have nothing on it if I had to guess though.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #9
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_crzd47 View Post
Bet you a blown tranny mine goes longer!
lol, I'm in the market for an AX-15 for a Jeep.

(and I can rebuild them cause I have 2 AX-15 derivatives in the garage that I can rip the internals out of... just can't use em cause they were mated to a 1G-GEU 170hp I6 setup from an 85 Toyota Mark II*.)

Edit*- 1985 Toyota Celica Supra "Mark II"

Not the other crappy looking version.

*Edit 2-
Ok, one is not an AX-15 derivative. The one I intend on using is the W58 which uses the same bolt pattern, flywheel and clutch setup as the AX-4 and AX-5. Its in working order and its gear ratios are as follows since this is a stock trannie...

* First Gear: 3.285:1
* Second Gear: 1.894:1
* Third Gear: 1.275:1
* Fourth Gear: 1.00:1
* Fifth Gear: 0.783:1
* Reverse: -3.768:1
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
blueridgexj98
1989 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=mtb_crzd47;11338024]^^^ soo wrong. First of all it is oil. Second 10w-30 is what Chrysler reccomends

Chill i dont know about being soo wrong maybe partially
I know transmissions all have some type of "oil lubricant" but i have never heard of motor oil in a trans, trans fluid and gear oil yeah. my dad who used to be a transmision mechanic has never heard that either, so i apologize i didnt know that. I have been brought up to believe most trans fuild should be red color and a natural cleaning lubricant (not like oil were it will go bad and sludge up), which is what i have always used in my jeeps, and mine have never had any problems. who knows maybe my transmission motor oil ignorance has something to do with that.

To the op best of luck with this issue and i was only trying to offer advice that i got from a professional. i still say flush it out about 200 miles it will clean it out faster, and maybe check the auto store for additives to possibly help the rough shifting
Unread 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #11
rs74
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A little bit of shavings is normal, but if you have a bunch of shavings in your tranny not too good. From past experience if you drain your transmission and you have a lot of material in the fluid and the pan and you put new fluid in then you are just kinda rolling the dice. Alot of times that loose material helps the clutch disc grip. I would say all you can do is put the new fluid in and go. I have seen this scenario a bunch of times and more times than not it doesn't turn out good. But like previously stated we can't really see all the shavings and so forth. Good Luck.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

Rs74, you are right are right abouththe little pieces helping the clutch discs grip, but that is only for autos where they are in fluid.
Unread 04-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
wretchedjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thank you everyone for your input. I still haven't had any time to take it out for real drive and I can't say definatively one way or the other whether it helped. I am going to probably only run it for 100 miles or so before I change the fluid on it again for 3 reasons: First, the shavings were that bad, about a table spoon or so. Second, i'm using really cheap oil to flush the tranny before I go with something much better and more permanent. Finally, I realized this morning that I left the aluminum washer off the drain plug and now I have a slow leak.
I'll update the thread on the drivability sometime this week.
Unread 04-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
rs74
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_crzd47 View Post
Rs74, you are right are right abouththe little pieces helping the clutch discs grip, but that is only for autos where they are in fluid.
Man I didn't see that it was the ax15 trans. I sure was thinking "What kind of automatic trans takes oil for fluid". Chalk that one up to a brainfart. Sorry.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
blueridgexj98
1989 XJ Cherokee 

rs74, that makes two of us i didnt see the ax15 either i thought the line was part of his signature didnt read it, my bad. i too didnt understand why there was oil in an auto. my apologies guys

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.