how long did it take you to find your current XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > how long did it take you to find your current XJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
ranger690

how long did it take you to find your current XJ

Im just curious how long some of you waited to find your current or previous XJs..ive been looking every day atleast 2 times a day here on craigslist for the last month and a half and cant seem to find one in my criteria..Im really getting the itch to get and lift-modify one of my own but all the ones so far have been junk.

How hard should it be to find a 97-99 cherokee with less than 150k miles and a decent body and no rust and paint in either black or green?

maybe im being to picky but all the ones ive called on or looked at have had maintenance issues or the price i thought has been to high..im thinking i should be able to pick one up stock for around $4000..or modified for a little more am i wrong?

at this point im even considering finding one and painting it if i have to but i have a feeling that more of a pain-cost than its worth..and id love to find one in 5speed but id be looking for years

just curious
kyle

ranger690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
TitletownZJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It took me about 2 months of sleepless days ( since I work nights haha) to find my 98 rust free xj 4-door 4.0 5-speed with dana 30 and 8.25 np231 with 233k on it for 1800.

Member of Titletown Jeepers
TitletownZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It took my about 5 Minutes to find my XJ, I knew what I wanted an my Price I found my XJ online an looked at it an hour later test drove after going over it very closely then bought it on the spot.
Unread 03-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
ranger690

keep em coming guys sounds like both ends of the spectrum so far. im hoping to find one soon
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
imthehink
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
It took my about 5 Minutes to find my XJ, I knew what I wanted an my Price I found my XJ online an looked at it an hour later test drove after going over it very closely then bought it on the spot.
Same here, its been 8 years since I purchased mine.
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I spent almost a month looking for my '01 after my '99 was totaled.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
flhtquick
2003 TJ Wrangler 

around 4-6 months 01 xj 80,000 $2800 but it was not perfect
flhtquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
CherokeeTamer
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I was born with my XJ in 1991. the day it was bought was the day i was born 20 years later and its officially in my name. i have its entire history from oil changes to engine replacements in a (rather large) file.
CherokeeTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #9
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Stumbled upon the 88 on craigslist looking for a new car after I moved out of the city. Wasn't looking for a Cherokee specifically. Paid $400, drove it home. All it needed was a CPS and it had about $600 worth of audio equipment in it.

The 89 I stumbled upon as well. I was just looking for a second trail Jeep, nothing really specific. Found an 87 Yj for $500 but someone got it while I was driving out to meet the guy. Found the 89 for sale on the way home for $400. Turned out to be a total waste of time and money though.

Still kinda in the market for another 2 door, but XJ prices have become absurd around here. Even **** that needs a ton of work people are firm on $2000+

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
ranger690

im hopeing i just kinda stumble across one around here.I was very upset when the 1st one i was supposed to buy got sold from underneath me 45 minutes before i was supposed to go get it. good deal i thought to.. 1998 4.0 with 4in Rc lift full packs crager soft 8s and 32in maxxis bighorns 150k miles as well as rust free and full molded floor mats for $3800.. i just have to convince myself it wasnt meant to be.

ever since then none have been up to par, the search continues i guess
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wasn't even really looking. After my YJ was stolen, I didn't know what I wanted...car, motorcycle, pickup or another Wrangler. I was just browsing around aimlessly on craigslist and saw an ad for it by a local dealer and it was a good price.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
MagicNelson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I looked on Craigslist every day for a couple months before i bought mine. It was worth the wait to find a good 99 with no rust and low miles.
MagicNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #13
scavok
1993 XJ Cherokee 

After my last ride crapped out and I knew I wanted to get back in a jeep, I had one day off of work that correlated with my girlfriend's schedule so I could use her car. I *had* to find a new car within one day.

I saw a bunch of ads, made calls and visited them. One of the jeeps I was especially interested in had an owner that didn't want to answer the phone. So after burning out and driving all day I plugged that phone number in to google, got a street address and practically sat on the XJ until the owner came home so I could try it out. They had to tell 5 or 6 people over the phone that it was sold in just the 10 minutes while I was getting the note of sale (:

It was an ugly ride and the interior was as bad as the outside, but mechanically it was absolutely perfect. I can't believe I obtained it the way I did and have had it turn out as good as it is now (:
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:03 AM   #14
cwalker
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Was about 2 months for the 91. I knew I wanted a jeep but could not find one in my price range within 100 miles. My cousin was moving from Texas to Chicago and I live in Indiana. He was stopping by here to get me so I could help him move into his new place...looked in Chicago craigs list. Found one and drove it home.

Was 6 hours for the 90. Good price for what was needed. TPS, tune up, adjustments here and there, grease, front u joints. Only have had to buy the TPS, and some new tools!!!:-). This one will be built. This app has been and will continue to be of GREAT help. Thanx everyone.

Have nice day.....;-)
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
XJ_Renegade
1999 XJ Cherokee 

About 25 minutes. 24 of that was wasted on Auto Trader. The last was on eBay. Found a humble white 2-door for sale in Normal, which at that point was a whopping 15-mile drive from home. Asking $2650 OBO, so I called him up to arrange a time to check it out. Checked it out the next day, test drove, gave him $500 to reserve it for a week. Got a signature loan 4 days later for $2000. Went to pick it up and the guy was nowhere to be seen. An hour and a half later he rolls up in my Cherokee after having driven it to and from Peoria for the 3rd time since I reserved it. Schmuck. Gave him the $2k and had barely enough gas to get it 6 blocks to a Thornton's station. Been uphill ever since.
[COLOR=White] White Jeep Club Member #108 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]R.I.P. Troy Edwards[/COLOR]

My Build Thread: [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/99-xj-project-arctic-wolf-1126101/"]Project [color="white"]Arctic Wolf[/color][/URL]
XJ_Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.