How to keep your exhaust manifold from cracking (All Jeeps) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > How to keep your exhaust manifold from cracking (All Jeeps)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How to keep your exhaust manifold from cracking (All Jeeps)

After going through 2 exhaust manifolds on my YJ I decided it was time to put an end to this nonsense.
Im now on my 3rd and its outlived the others by a few years.

Although I had the little 2.5 L.O.
The engine has a lot of torque in 4-low and moves around a lot under conditions like rockcrawling and such. Put a go-pro in there and see for yourself.

First put a flex-joint just before the skidplate. Make sure its a heavy duty unit from an exhaust shop and not a auto-zoo POS cause those will burn out in no time. Jap cars have had these for awhile.
In the pic I have a slip joint at the front w/ U-bolt so I can remove the front section If need be.

Second you'll need to hold up that front section or it will put stress back at the manifold again (we don't want that) . Using a u-bolt and this unused mount on the engine . This holds the front section great . Like it was put there on purpose. Hmmmm.

The flex-pipe ran about $100 including install but was worth it considering its held up for 5 yrs w/ abuse.

Last but not least. Cut off any tailpie that is sticking out the back. Cut it to where if a rock hits back there the shackle or receiver will take the hit and not the tailpipe.
I see this a lot when im off-road . Some guy just got done on an obstacle and his tailpipe is dragging the ground or has pushed it forward and ruined the whole exhaust system .
Hope this helps all in the off-road world .

Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thought maybe Tom could put this in his exhaust thread .
Modstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modstock View Post
Thought maybe Tom could put this in his exhaust thread .
It's on a YJ not XJ , Also my thread is moreless for Videos of how different systems sound . To make it easy for people to See what a certain type of exhaust sounds like before you buy it. But yes the flex pipe will work on all Jeeps I am considering adding one to my XJ before the cat

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.