How to get an XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How to get an XJ

Not sure if this has been posted but last fall I was searching all over the country for my first XJ (not sure how far I was willing to go). But craigslist and forums were my main source. However, I realized that XJ's were a common fleet vehicle. I soon started searching for used fleet vehicles. I discovered Proxibid. Its basically the eBay of gov't surplus. You can bid in person or online(huge fees online).

Anyway, they post a lot of XJs I scored an SE with 116k in Reno(went to reno). While its true is purchased as is, a lot of them are sub 100k cars and since they are fleet, for the most part they were on maintenance schedules. Mine had the T-case serviced, replaced muffler replaced oil pan gasket, replaced manifold.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I believe it's a great way to track down an XJ. At this very moment there is a white '99 with ~95k in California along with a bunch of 00s just go to proxibid and type 'jeep cherokee -grand' in the search. Im not affiliated with them just trying to spread the cheer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-17-2016, 01:06 AM
Ralph77

The blue '99 on there looks promising. What year is the SE and what did you pay for it if you do not mind me asking?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-17-2016, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got a 99 SE for $3700 after auction fees it was like $4050 or something. I did get into a slight bidding war with someone, on the day I got mine there were 3 other XJs 2 w/ 125k running and one with 89k not running. Those all went for around $3k I think the 89k one much less. The downsides with a lot of the fleet ones are limited options, but I spin that to an upside as its less stuff that can break. But mine is only 2 speakers,came with privacy glass, no lift gate light and only the single dome light.

Also, if you're close to an auction there is an inspection day before bidding starts so you can get the keys and start them up, not drive though. But it's really helpful. My uncle (former mechanic) was kind enough to go up there for me on inspection day and check it. The pictures are terrible thats the other thing, no one at these auctions is really a photographer.

I also think the price for what I paid is fair, I'd see fleet XJs pop up on craigslist with similar mileage and they all asking for $5-7k much too high IMO.

Public Surplus is another good one but a lot more people know about it I think

Here is a '94 with 75k (gotta be sure rust is minimal though)
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auc...ew?auc=1515259
post #4 of 6 Old 02-17-2016, 12:56 PM
Ralph77

Not bad. Yea I do not think I can handle the auction thing because of the bidding war. Plus the travel would make it cost prohibitive. But I can see where it would work for some folks. The downside you mention about limited options. I do not have to spin that. I am with you on that one. Less stuff to break. Used to own a '96. IMO the person who bought it new ordered it perfect. Auto, 4.0. privacy glass, tilt wheel (assuming it was an option but I think not), and a rear defogger with wiper. Thing had crank windows. Was great. My '00 that I have now has power windows. If I every run across manual window regulators and Camel door panels too match for a reasonable price I could see myself making the swap.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-20-2016, 11:36 AM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Always quite a number for sale in the Phoenix AZ area. Easy to fly into for a buy & drive home.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-21-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
szfofa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I hear ya, only reason I went for the reno one is cause im originally from sacramento and was working in that area coincidentally around when the auction ended.

But to be clear about options. Mine didnt come with tilt wheel but did come with AC, power windows & lock, and window defrost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.