how do i tell if i have the Dana 44 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > how do i tell if i have the Dana 44

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-04-2009, 08:29 PM   #31
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

this thread really needed to be brought back from the grave

ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:30 PM   #32
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep191 View Post
this thread really needed to be brought back from the grave
a lot better than having another one started where other people have to dig up the pics and post them again
-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #33
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
a lot better than having another one started where other people have to dig up the pics and post them again
-matt
This question has been asked hundreds of times, so no i would rather see this fall into a bottomless pit. If the OP searched initially he would have known that from the start and this thread wouldn't exist.
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #34
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
This question has been asked hundreds of times, so no i would rather see this fall into a bottomless pit. If the OP searched initially he would have known that from the start and this thread wouldn't exist.
except the fact that a lot of the descriptions and even some of the diagrams suck horribly. this is honestly the only place ive seen pictures of all the covers together, usually it is a half assed pic shot under some ones vehicle and sucks for comparisons between some of the different axels
-matt
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #35
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
except the fact that a lot of the descriptions and even some of the diagrams suck horribly. this is honestly the only place ive seen pictures of all the covers together, usually it is a half assed pic shot under some ones vehicle and sucks for comparisons between some of the different axels
-matt
I can type into google images(the #1 known search engine in the world) dana 44 and this is the first picture that comes up

I do the same for chrysler 8.25 and the same damn thing comes up, along with the picture you are so excited about that was just posted comparing the different axles. Seems pretty clearcut to me, you obviously suck at searching.

I'm tired of every time somone has a question pop into their head they run on here and wait for someone to tell them what to do. Use some common sense and figure it out.
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #36
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I can type into google images(the #1 known search engine in the world) dana 44 and this is the first picture that comes up

I do the same for chrysler 8.25 and the same damn thing comes up, along with the picture you are so excited about that was just posted comparing the different axles. Seems pretty clearcut to me.

you obviously suck at searching
ok, ya a D44 is not hard to identify but the pics of a d35 compared to a Chry 8.25 pretty much suck, i guess i didnt convey my thought clearly, the pictures of D35 vs the 8.25 suck unless you see a side by side

i know its gotten a bit more common around here but theres no need to be a ****

-matt
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ok, ya a D44 is not hard to identify but the pics of a d35 compared to a Chry 8.25 pretty much suck, i guess i didnt convey my thought clearly, the pictures of D35 vs the 8.25 suck unless you see a side by side

i know its gotten a bit more common around here but theres no need to be a ****

-matt
Like i said, type in chrys. 8.25 into google images and a clear side by side picture shows a d35 next to a 8.25.

/thread
Unread 06-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #38
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
ya most of the 01s ive seen have the 8.25 (mine does)

as to the ABS it doesnt bother me, the stock breaks are not exactly strong enough to easily lock up any way on most road conditions. i drove a 96 exploder before so my "ABS" was not great and my reactions were about as good so what ever

if you email chrysler they can give you a build sheet to tell you exactly what you have for all the options

the little diagram looks to be exaggerated on the shapes my 8.25 doesnt look that flat and my friends dana 44 was not that triangular

-matt
My 01 has a Dana 35 with ABS. I would think that the newer the vehicle, the more common ABS would be, so would a d35. ABS is kind of annoying in the snow, but its not a big deal if you drive safe.
It is however very useful when your driving down the highway and you realize the car in front of you has stopped and is backing up in the lane because he missed his exit. That way when you go "oh F**K what the hell is he doing" slam on the brakes and swerve out of the way.. you miss him.

They could have made 2 wheel ABS just in the front, as my ranger has, so I could have an 8.25... it would be nice.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #39
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i hate ABS, I once hit a woman because my ABS Explorer wouldn't stop.
We were only going like 30 there were like 4 cars in a row. one stopped to turn in, one went around(shoulder), the one in front of me stopped. when I saw it the thought went through my mind that I could take the shoulder but there was a road sign there and i knew I had enough time to stop. When I hit the brakes, my foot went through the floor and i didn't stop until i had pushed the trunk on her little honda in so far that the back tires couldn't turn.

it only bent my front bumper a little, most folks wouldn't have guessed it had been wrecked.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #40
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbordea View Post
i hate ABS, I once hit a woman because my ABS Explorer wouldn't stop.
We were only going like 30 there were like 4 cars in a row. one stopped to turn in, one went around(shoulder), the one in front of me stopped. when I saw it the thought went through my mind that I could take the shoulder but there was a road sign there and i knew I had enough time to stop. When I hit the brakes, my foot went through the floor and i didn't stop until i had pushed the trunk on her little honda in so far that the back tires couldn't turn.

it only bent my front bumper a little, most folks wouldn't have guessed it had been wrecked.
Thats why I don't drive small cars.
If your abs was working properly, it could only positively effect your stopping distance, as sliding friction is less than static friction, and when the wheels are rolling, you effectively have static friction, where as when sliding, you don't. Did your petal jerk a bunch like it should if you abs was working?
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #41
lilkuntrydodge

how do i know what rear axle i have? i know this is a jeep forum but i have a 84 dodge power ram.
lilkuntrydodge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #42
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuntrydodge View Post
how do i know what rear axle i have? .... i have a 84 dodge power ram.
Post in a Dodge Power Ram Forum ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM   #43
Motorcharge
1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilkuntrydodge View Post
how do i know what rear axle i have? i know this is a jeep forum but i have a 84 dodge power ram.
Why would you sign up here to ask that...
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #44
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

AS much as they criticize (rightfully so), I am sure there are enough automotive enthusiasts on here that could help you.

Do you have any pictures? I am pretty good with google.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.