how do i tell if i have the Dana 44 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > how do i tell if i have the Dana 44

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 04-11-2009, 10:06 PM   #16
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ya most of the 01s ive seen have the 8.25 (mine does)

as to the ABS it doesnt bother me, the stock breaks are not exactly strong enough to easily lock up any way on most road conditions. i drove a 96 exploder before so my "ABS" was not great and my reactions were about as good so what ever

if you email chrysler they can give you a build sheet to tell you exactly what you have for all the options

the little diagram looks to be exaggerated on the shapes my 8.25 doesnt look that flat and my friends dana 44 was not that triangular

-matt

mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ABS really only comes in handy with grandmothers who don't know how to drive in the snow.
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #18
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

matt, you can e-mail chrysler and they will send that to you? even now? what all do you need? just your vin? that would be a nice thing to find out...
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #19
jaqattack02
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep191 View Post
ABS really only comes in handy with grandmothers who don't know how to drive in the snow.
ABS wasn't designed for the snow. In fact, ABS is more of a liability in the snow than standard brakes. ABS was designed so that in a panic situation when a person stomps on the brakes like their life depends on it and the wheels get to the point of locking, they don't so that the person still has some control of the vehicle. If you lock the tires and are in a slide, it won't matter what you do with the wheel, it's not going to do anything. With ABS, when the ABS kicks in during that panic stop, the wheels are still more or less turning giving you at least some control of the car. Now, if you're a level headed person who doesn't panic and keeps control of their car and knows how to operate their brakes, ABS is unnecessary.

In the snow it's a liability because the snow can cause the wheel sensor to believe the wheel is locked, when it really isn't even close, which prematurely kicks in the ABS and reduces your already reduced stopping power. With standard brakes, if the wheels locks up, it digs down deeper into the snow, and also builds up snow in front of it as it starts sliding, both of which slow you down faster. Plus while digging into the snow you're more likely to hit hard pavement which will also benefit your stopping ability.
jaqattack02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #20
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
matt, you can e-mail chrysler and they will send that to you? even now? what all do you need? just your vin? that would be a nice thing to find out...
there should be a thing through the jeep site, look at the contact us pages, i think it asks you for your vin during the contact form. they got back to me in a few days IIRC, full build sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
ABS wasn't designed for the snow. In fact, ABS is more of a liability in the snow than standard brakes. ABS was designed so that in a panic situation when a person stomps on the brakes like their life depends on it and the wheels get to the point of locking, they don't so that the person still has some control of the vehicle. If you lock the tires and are in a slide, it won't matter what you do with the wheel, it's not going to do anything. With ABS, when the ABS kicks in during that panic stop, the wheels are still more or less turning giving you at least some control of the car. Now, if you're a level headed person who doesn't panic and keeps control of their car and knows how to operate their brakes, ABS is unnecessary.

In the snow it's a liability because the snow can cause the wheel sensor to believe the wheel is locked, when it really isn't even close, which prematurely kicks in the ABS and reduces your already reduced stopping power. With standard brakes, if the wheels locks up, it digs down deeper into the snow, and also builds up snow in front of it as it starts sliding, both of which slow you down faster. Plus while digging into the snow you're more likely to hit hard pavement which will also benefit your stopping ability.
i honestly do not understand how people cannot feel what their vehicle is doing, its easy to feel a skid be it during breaking or if you take a turn to fast and the back end drifts (which i also dont understand how people cannot correct properly with that, after driving an exploder with a super light back end that likes to spin tires in the slightest bit of moisture or just from giving to much gas in a tight turn)

-matt
Unread 06-03-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
XJohnnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattathayde View Post
the little diagram looks to be exaggerated on the shapes my 8.25 doesnt look that flat and my friends dana 44 was not that triangular
Yeah, those drawings get posted up a lot. And I cringe every time I see them.

Send your VIN to customerassist@chrysler.com and request a build sheet.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #22
Arbslikewhoa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also, if you take a look under someones hood that has ABS, youll realize that your jeep is missing a lot of something.. ABS takes up a lot of space behind the airbox under the hood. Be glad that you have the 8.25 and no abs! The ABS just takes up so much room and im a fan of the chrysler axle

CLOTHIER TRANSMISSION & TRACTION PRODUCTS
Tire Chains for 31" up to 49" tires
Transmission Adapter Kit, GM/Chevy "4 bolt main" to SAE #2
Arbslikewhoa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #23
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Copy any or all of these pics to your hard-drive and post them all over JeepForum.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #24
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

what is that last pic trying to show?
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 05:00 AM   #25
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
what is that last pic trying to show?
that last pic is pointing out the "tell-tail" signs that it's a chrysler 8.25 rear axle. no other stock cherokee axle came with a flat cast lip on the bottom of the pumpkin/hog nor those casting teeth (i have no clue what they are called) on top of the pinion.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #26
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchVA View Post
that last pic is pointing out the "tell-tail" signs that it's a chrysler 8.25 rear axle. no other stock cherokee axle came with a flat cast lip on the bottom of the pumpkin/hog nor those casting teeth (i have no clue what they are called) on top of the pinion.
those casting marks are either mould marks, vents (let the air out when casting) or sprue channels (let the metal in)... if they are just casting related. i havent specifically looked at them on my axel to say what they look like but i would bet there is so more structure to them than just being from manufacture

-matt
Unread 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM   #27
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
those casting marks are either mold marks, vents (let the air out when casting) or sprue channels (let the metal in)...

The Chry 8.25 is used on a many different rear wheel drive Chrysler vehicles. The cast risers near the pinion yoke are drilled and tapped with threads to bolt on additional parts. Specifically the KJ Liberty has a three link style independent rear suspension and the third link is bolted to the top of the differential housing. Yesterday I was pulling some 8.25 disk brakes from a Liberty and again noticed all the extra crap bolted to the center section.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 06-04-2009 at 12:33 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #28
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Guess again.

The Chry 8.25 is used on a many different rear wheel drive Chrysler vehicles. The cast risers near the pinion yoke are drilled and tapped with threads to bolt on additional parts. Specifically the KJ Liberty has a three link style independent rear suspension and the third link is bolted to the top of the differential housing. Yesterday I was pulling some 8.25 disk brakes from a Liberty and again noticed all the extra crap bolted to the center section.
you missed this part of my responce
Quote:
i havent specifically looked at them on my axel to say what they look like but i would bet there is so more structure to them than just being from manufacture

-matt
-matt
Unread 06-04-2009, 05:55 PM   #29
shortbussrydah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLOUXJ View Post
it snowed here the other day and i hit the brakes and locked them up. I kinda confused me i thought it had abs, but now that i know that i have the 8.25 i know that i dont. ^^^^^and the light doesnt light up. so therefore i dont have abs. that would have been nice to have. o well
Its not that hard to lock up abs in the snow. Been there done that
shortbussrydah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2009, 07:06 PM   #30
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqattack02 View Post
I dont know about you, but I almost never lock up the brakes in snow, but ice is a whole different issue, where "snowplowing" the snow in front of your tire doesnt do anything at all. Although, unless you are in a foot or more of snow, that effect wouldnt help at all. It takes a lot more then some built up frozen rain to stop a 2 ton Jeep.

I was torn when I bought my 99 if I wanted abs or not since I go to school in Colorado. I ended up going without it, and Ive driven through two winters with no real problems. You just have to pay attention to what you are doing, and not slam on the brakes at the last second.

Ive also heard that the late model abs is a lot better then the early ones, but I have not driven any Jeep with ABS to actually back that up.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.