hood scoop? vent? BOTH?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > hood scoop? vent? BOTH?!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
andrij13
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hood scoop? vent? BOTH?!

I'm sure there's probably a thread on this somewhere, but i didn't bother to look. so don't be mad.

so, as i'm sure you all know, xjs run hot.

i tried driving by just pulling the hood lever, but thats squeaky, and i'm not sure its effective.

i've considered buying one of those cheap hood scoops from autozone, and placing it over the head/intake manifold.

i've also thought about vents, from a lebaron or such, and then i've thought about scoop on drivers side, vent on the other for better ventilation.

but i'm not sure.

do any of you guys have any combination of these, and if so, please post pics, and any writeup tips, and tell if its efficient or not.

i'm leaning towards the hood scoop idea, as i see it being a 2 birds with one stone deal. it in theory would scoop in colder air, but also vent while at idle, or driving slow, or when off.

thanks guys.

andrij13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #2
workwagon

When you say you tried pulling the hood lever are you saying your driving around with your hood partially open?... That's probably not a good idea or maybe I just read that wrong
workwagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...nt&FORM=HDRSC2
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

hood scoop? vent? BOTH?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrij13 View Post
I'm sure there's probably a thread on this somewhere, but i didn't bother to look. so don't be mad.

What a compelling explanation for why you couldn't be bothered to look around first despite admitting that you suspect the info you seek is already out there for the taking. No, I won't be mad. You've convinced me thoroughly.

Sent from my phone.
Unread 04-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
andrij13
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by workwagon View Post
When you say you tried pulling the hood lever are you saying your driving around with your hood partially open?... That's probably not a good idea or maybe I just read that wrong

yea, the other day, i parked, and popped the hood from inside. then went out to the front. heat was billowing out, so i thought, "hey, ill pop the hood while driving, and maybe get some air flow."
Unread 04-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
andrij13
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
What a compelling explanation for why you couldn't be bothered to look around first despite admitting that you suspect the info you seek is already out there for the taking. No, I won't be mad. You've convinced me thoroughly.

Sent from my phone.
i'm glad

i did look after i posted... haven't seen much of anything but arguing about scoops/vents/cowls
Unread 04-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
nolanbalzarini

i have these, they are from hyline. deff. more expensive than some home brew kits, but IMHO it is worth every penny
its got louvers that go one way for low speed cooling, and louvers that go the other way for high speed "ram air effect"

nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
andrij13
2001 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the pics!

while the autozone scoop would be cheap, i wouldn't mind spending money on some nice vents or something. i just want to find the right option...

so how do these louvers that you bought work... is it a considerable difference??
Unread 04-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #9
nolanbalzarini

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrij13 View Post
thanks for the pics!

while the autozone scoop would be cheap, i wouldn't mind spending money on some nice vents or something. i just want to find the right option...

so how do these louvers that you bought work... is it a considerable difference??
on the temp gauge it never gets over 210, but thats regulated by the thermostat, and on winter mornings it takes way longer for the heater to get hot. At a stop light you can see the heat waves pouring out.
it doesn't drop injector #3 on hot days
and it looks BA!
lower under hood temps are always better than higher temps
nolanbalzarini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2015, 07:07 AM   #10
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Those are nice vents, but I don't fully understand the purpose of the forward-facing vents in the rear. So they'll theoretically scoop air at speed, but why, and why there? All the air entering the engine bay should be entering through the radiator--I see no need to force a bunch of extra air in from above. They also look like a rust nightmare waiting to happen since there is so much hood left trapped under the vent. I'd much rather seem the redesign them to only vent air out and only have vents in the areas of the hood that can actually be cut.

Unread 04-12-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

OP, you could always go with a McNeil Racing hood.

Unread 04-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #12
andrij13
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
OP, you could always go with a McNeil Racing hood.

!!

yes please!

BUT... that doesnt look finished... is that just a mock up, or do they actually sell them with slots and mesh where there should be?
Unread 04-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #13
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's fiberglass. I don't know if they do any more than you see. I've always imagined you just cut out the holes you want to use yourself, but I'm just guessing. Ask them.

Sent from my phone.
Unread 04-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
andrij13
2001 XJ Cherokee 

kinda pointless to not have it finished... for the money you're spending...
Unread 04-12-2015, 01:52 PM   #15
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, like I said, that's just my guess. I think it's a fine price, and if they do indeed send it out that way, it allows the end user to customize which vents get used; maybe some people don't want them all open. My fiberglass subwoofer box I'm having fabricated will end-up costing about the same as that hood and is smaller and (potentially) simpler.

Sent from my phone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.