High School XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > High School XJ

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

High School XJ

Hello. I am new to jeep forum and finally wanted to post about my XJ. I have had it for a little over a year now, and it has been very reliable. I am a high school student so I am not going to do anything major but I still want the vehicle to be unique. I want to fix my rust spots as well. Here is its current status.

Last edited by shooptube; 07-21-2014 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: Testing of picture URLs (New user)
shooptube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good! Welcome to the forums.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #3
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks alot! I love you Cherokee btw. I want a brush bar like that.
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post
Thanks alot! I love you Cherokee btw. I want a brush bar like that.
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/extr...erokee-xj.html

That's the one I got. You can also just buy the hoop, or buy a non-winch variant like VegasGT has. They're awesome bumpers!

CoTM March 2014
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hey I was going through your build thread and I saw your spray on bed liner. That is actually the next thing I planned on doing to mine. I found some replacement rockers and I am going spray from the door bevel on down. Did you have to do anything special for your coats?
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hey I was going through your build thread and I saw your spray on bed liner. That is actually the next thing I planned on doing to mine. I found some replacement rockers and I am going spray from the door bevel on down. Did you have to do anything special for your coats?
It's actually a roll on bedliner called Hippoliner, which from what I've gathered is very similar to Monstaliner. Hippoliner, like Monstaliner, gets its texture from the roller, not chunks of rubber in the paint like many others. As for special coating, I can't really answer that, as I didn't do the paint. My dad's friend owns a paint shop and they did it for really cheap. I know they have a special primer that they used under it. Short of sanding, epoxy primer, and bedliner, I'm not sure if they did anything else.

CoTM March 2014
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Gotcha. I just picked up 4 cans of this Duplicolor Spray https://www.duplicolor.com/products/bedArmorAerosol/ After I get my new rockers installed I want to use this. Four cans were only $30 and I don't exactly have the most amount of cash on hand so it worked out.
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Gotcha. I just picked up 4 cans of this Duplicolor Spray https://www.duplicolor.com/products/bedArmorAerosol/ After I get my new rockers installed I want to use this. Four cans were only $30 and I don't exactly have the most amount of cash on hand so it worked out.
Yeah, it should come out okay. Just make sure you really sand down where you want to paint. Make it nice and rough so the paint really grips. Look on Duplicolor's site and see their recommendations for bedlining, and make sure you definitely follow it so the paint doesn't fall off. Mine is on there strong enough that my 2500 PSI pressure washer can be right next to it and it doesn't chip at all.

CoTM March 2014
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #9
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So does your coating actually have any "grit" in it? Or is it just really tough when it drys?
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #10
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So does your coating actually have any "grit" in it? Or is it just really tough when it drys?
It's really tough (though I'm not sure what you mean by grit). I have it on my bumper as well. I can get you a close up picture later if you want.

CoTM March 2014
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well I know some coatings actually have little stones in there almost like a skateboard's grip tape except rougher.
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well I know some coatings actually have little stones in there almost like a skateboard's grip tape except rougher.
Oh. Yeah that's what I was saying before. Mine and Monstaliner get the texture from the roller, where many others get the texture from pieces of rubber in the paint.

CoTM March 2014
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #13
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well hopefully this is pretty tough. My main goal is to avoid rust when paint gets chipped away. I am not planning on heavy trail riding so this should hold up.
Unread 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Teej
Jordan's Bish

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well hopefully this is pretty tough. My main goal is to avoid rust when paint gets chipped away. I am not planning on heavy trail riding so this should hold up.
Yeah, as long as you properly prep the surface, there's really no reason it shouldn't hold up.

CoTM March 2014
Unread 07-21-2014, 05:03 PM   #15
shooptube
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The other thing is lighting. I want to mount on the stock bumper but as you know, there is not a lot of room. I am thinking about a bumper brow bar. Such as this: http://www.detoursusa.com/bumperbrow.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.