Help wiring fog lights... - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Help wiring fog lights...

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Reply
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #1
docrich52
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 13
Help wiring fog lights...

I just picked up some sweet orange foggers with glass lenses off of an old isuzu trooper froat the junk yard this past weekend. I had to sand prime and paint them this past weekend and when i took them apart, the insides were crazy rusted so i had to cut the wires from the bulbs and do away with the garbage wires that i pulled of the trooper. with my zero experience in electrical work, can anyone assist me in wiring these babys up? they have a 12v 55w bulb.

docrich52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
AoA
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Posts: 341
what exactly don't you know how to do with these lights?
__________________
You'll fine me chasing the Sun!
97' XJ 7" of lift 33's - Still Running Strong
97' XJ 5" of lift 33's - Sold
93' ZJ 4"of lift, 31's - Totaled
AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
docrich52
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: cincinnati, ohio
Posts: 13
I want to be able to run my fog lights whenever i flip the switch. with that being said, i bought a kit at auto zone that came with wires and a switch but no relay...

will the kit work by itsself or should i get a relay and go that route. i have a few wiring diagrams that are simple enough to follow but im not sure what to buy wire and relay and switch wise if i need to get something else.

I want to do it right the first time and for it to last as long as possible and be functional.
docrich52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
AoA
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Posts: 341
IMO relays are alot of extra work for nothing, i run mine with wires and a inline fuse
__________________
You'll fine me chasing the Sun!
97' XJ 7" of lift 33's - Still Running Strong
97' XJ 5" of lift 33's - Sold
93' ZJ 4"of lift, 31's - Totaled
AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
lostissues
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: southern NH
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoA View Post
IMO relays are alot of extra work for nothing, i run mine with wires and a inline fuse
relays are a good thing to have. it allows for shorter run of higher power wires. you can use a relay to have the power go from the battery through the relay to the lights instead of from the battery across the engine bay, through the firewall, to a switch, back through the firewall, across the engine bay and down to the lights. also less wire to worry about it possibly chaffing, melting, grounding out, getting caught in moving parts.

just search the electrical and 2 way forum for "fog lights" or "fog light installation" "fog light wiring" and there will be a ton of threads on how to wire it up properly with a relay.
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
AoA
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Posts: 341
Quote:
relays are a good thing to have. it allows for shorter run of higher power wires. you can use a relay to have the power go from the battery through the relay to the lights instead of from the battery across the engine bay, through the firewall, to a switch, back through the firewall, across the engine bay and down to the lights. also less wire to worry about it possibly chaffing, melting, grounding out, getting caught in moving parts.
thats allot of extra work for something he doesnt want, he wants to flip a switch and thats it. if you wire it right the first time with a good gauge wiring, all this "melting, grounding, chaffing" won't happen.
__________________
You'll fine me chasing the Sun!
97' XJ 7" of lift 33's - Still Running Strong
97' XJ 5" of lift 33's - Sold
93' ZJ 4"of lift, 31's - Totaled
AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
lostissues
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: southern NH
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoA View Post
thats allot of extra work for something he doesnt want, he wants to flip a switch and thats it. if you wire it right the first time with a good gauge wiring, all this "melting, grounding, chaffing" won't happen.
well with a relay all you have to do is flip a switch and it works, and you don't have to run higher current wiring as long of a distance. But you did answer first so every person who answers after that must be an idiot. to the op, just ask over in the electrical part of the forum how to wire up the lights and people will probably post up a picture of a circuit using a relay and tell you that is probably the best way to go about it.
actually here is Jerry Bransford's (mod for the electrical forum and a very knowledgeable person when it comes to wiring) answer on how to wire up off road lights (fogs are the same principle)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/w.../#post10420644
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:47 PM   #8
Spokes
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plainfield, NJ
Posts: 6,082
if u want them on anytime ur head lights come on than just wire them into your head lights lol
__________________

Red 00 XJ 4.5" and 33 km2's with other goodies
Build -->http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...hread-1280981/
"Lima bean" 91 XJ 4.0, 5spd, 235 Duratracs
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussler737 View Post
because anyone can drive a wrangler
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.
 
CJ7-Tim's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: out in the garage - Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 21,290
Use a relay and use a fuse. Fuses and relays prevent fires.




.
foglight-relay.jpg  
__________________
.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
AoA
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Posts: 341
Quote:
well with a relay all you have to do is flip a switch and it works, and you don't have to run higher current wiring as long of a distance. But you did answer first so every person who answers after that must be an idiot. to the op, just ask over in the electrical part of the forum how to wire up the lights and people will probably post up a picture of a circuit using a relay and tell you that is probably the best way to go about it.
actually here is Jerry Bransford's (mod for the electrical forum and a very knowledgeable person when it comes to wiring) answer on how to wire up off road lights (fogs are the same principle)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/w.../#post10420644
your calling me an idiot?
your kidding right? I did all 8 of my 100w spots this way and the correct way, no half *** jerry rigged ****. I've had no problems at all, no to mention he's only running 55w so theres not much draw at all to have a need for a relay.
__________________
You'll fine me chasing the Sun!
97' XJ 7" of lift 33's - Still Running Strong
97' XJ 5" of lift 33's - Sold
93' ZJ 4"of lift, 31's - Totaled
AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Nick
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,556
__________________
2001 WJ | 4.7L V8 | Utah Jeepcrew #19 | Hemi Club Member 60

1990 White XJ Laredo [Sold]
2000 Silverstone XJ Classic [Sold]
2006 Dodge Charger RT Hemi [Sold]
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee [Current]


Xbox Live gamertag: XJ Nickk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcMuff View Post
Banned for being the cooler Nick
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
lostissues
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: southern NH
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoA View Post
your calling me an idiot?
your kidding right? I did all 8 of my 100w spots this way and the correct way, no half *** jerry rigged ****. I've had no problems at all, no to mention he's only running 55w so theres not much draw at all to have a need for a relay.
I actually never called you and idiot. there was probably a little kidding somewhere in my post. And I didn't say that not using a relay would not work. and just because you did it that way does not make it correct, or the only definitive way to wire lights in.
here is a hella light kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/97008_0002.htm
it uses 2 55 watt bulbs and includes a RELAY to wire it up.
here is an IPF kit
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1502.htm
here is another 55 watt kit with RELAY.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97016_60.htm
another
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97016_00.htm
and one more, although I'm sure there are a lot more.

and I am done with this thread because I will not argue with someone over the internet, you know what they say about that

so OP, I hope that you have gotten enough information to help your situation, or at least a little more info on where to get more information. good luck with your install.
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #13
lostissues
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: southern NH
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Use a relay and use a fuse. Fuses and relays prevent fires.




.
lostissues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #14
mongo1991
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: clay, alabama
Posts: 17
yeah just get a three prong switch top to the battery with a in line fuse middle goes to the hot side of the lights bottom to a ground then ground out the grounds on the lights took me all of 30 min to do it all man
mongo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
AoA
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brookfield, Wisconsin
Posts: 341
Quote:
I actually never called you and idiot. there was probably a little kidding somewhere in my post. And I didn't say that not using a relay would not work. and just because you did it that way does not make it correct, or the only definitive way to wire lights in.
here is a hella light kit http://www.quadratec.com/products/97008_0002.htm
it uses 2 55 watt bulbs and includes a RELAY to wire it up.
here is an IPF kit
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1502.htm
here is another 55 watt kit with RELAY.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97016_60.htm
another
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97016_00.htm
and one more, although I'm sure there are a lot more.
lmao, i think its funny that some 130w KC kits dont come with a a relay at all.
oh well, its mostly personal preference, but if your gunna half *** it at least use a relay hahahaha.
__________________
You'll fine me chasing the Sun!
97' XJ 7" of lift 33's - Still Running Strong
97' XJ 5" of lift 33's - Sold
93' ZJ 4"of lift, 31's - Totaled
AoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.