Help! Want to get back in a XJ, need some insight. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Help! Want to get back in a XJ, need some insight.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
KalebJohnson
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Help! Want to get back in a XJ, need some insight.

About a year ago I had a 91 XJ Laredo 4.0 with a 3inch rough country lift on 31's, but other than that I didn't know too much about it. I went from a Honda to that and now I'm back to a Honda. I want to get back in an XJ, I'm not into cars anymore and I want another Jeep. I want to get one between 89-94 with the 4.0 thats a 5speed preferably but I'd do an automatic with a lift and build the rest to my own liking. I just need to know if there's any major common problems I should be looking out for when I go looking for one, and any suggestions on how much I should pay for something between those years. When I got my first XJ I had no knowledge whatsoever on Jeeps other than that they were reliable and I jumped in head first and I dont want to do that again haha. So any help would be greatly appreciated!

KalebJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
JerpXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Might I ask why you want a 89-94?
JerpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
Whizzerbike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rust... You have to check everywhere.

The older the more prone to it.

A buddy of mine bought his first XJ about a month ago. We didnt find any rust until he bought it and looked at the floor above the Cat... it was about 2 feet long.
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

go with a 96 or 99 depending on which body style you like. the 00 and 01 have ****ty engine heads, and anything too old is well... old, sometimes rusty, and could be in need of an overhaul.

many people will tell you to get years 96-99, 92-95 would be ok if you cant find anything else. pre 92 you start dealing with two-piece axles and other crap..

think of it like this. each year, jeep released a more refined version of the previous year (there are very few exceptions, like the 00 and 01 engine heads), so logically you should go with the latest.

this is a few of things you dont want to see in a jeep you're checking out:
rust
HP Dana 30 vacuum disconnect (search google for pictures to identify)
Dana 35 rear axle
4 cylinder motor (2.5L)

cant think of anything else, im really tired. other poeple will post stuf you should look out for too/

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.