help to strat my project"" pls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > help to strat my project"" pls

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
qatar123

help to strat my project"" pls

Hi im ahmad from qatar just I need to ask about xj to start my project:
my use jest desert and sand and same hill'' not use any rock

1- I will go with auto or munal??

2- about lift I go with 4.5 inch and 33s or 6.5 inch with 35s

3- I will use stock axle so if I use 33s or 35 s tire what raito size I will use and can I use locker or not ??

Tnx allot

qatar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
qatar123

qatar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
xjdantheman
1993 XJ Cherokee 

pretty much all your questions are personal preference. meaning its up to you to decide what you like best.
xjdantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

1: Auto, unless you really like shifting a manual transmission in sand...
2: 33" tires are a bit tight on 4.5" unless you trim your fenders. 35" tires would probably fit with a 6.5" lift Either way you'll want to adjust your bump stops...
3: 33" tires on the 3.55 gears on an auto trans will suck big time (ask me how I know). I am about to go to 4.56, but 4.11 would put you near the original ratio.
3b: As long as you are gentle, 33" tires and lockers on unmodified axles should be OK. *From what I've READ*, 35" tires w/o lockers on a stock axle is asking for trouble.

Just my 2 cents...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Were you sad because 2 hours after a post nobody had jumped all over your question?

-automatic makes it very easy to wheel, but you will want a transmission cooler if you wheel in hot weather (of course you do) and if you don't regear, you will be putting a lot of stain on the stock cooling system if you run oversized tires. (ie 33, 35's)

-lower center of gravity would be better since you're not mud bogging. 33" tires with some trimming or even 35" tires will fit on a 4-5" lift if you also bumpstop correctly.

-I agree with sAe23 - stock gears and 33's suck - I also can vouch for that. I would go with 4.56 gears if I was staying at 33's, but I'm doing 4.88's this winter.

-If you lock the front, you will start to break ujoints/shafts on 33's if you push it. (I did, so I upgraded) Most certainly on 35's. You can upgrade to chromolly axles and be pretty good to 35's.
-The rear Chrysler 8.25 on 97+ is a 29 spline axle is is generally good to 35's.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.