Help preserve the Cherokee name from being tarnished! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Help preserve the Cherokee name from being tarnished!

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #31
ghosttown
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92XJWheeler View Post
Sorry to start a controversy.

This is just one of those things that i feel is worth fighting for, and yes because of family health issues i do have a lot of time on my hands while taking care of someone.

The original idea for creating this page and the hope is to keep the Cherokee name from being ruined. I don't like the vehicle more than anyone else but to ask jeep to change the design would be impossible. That would take far too much money for them to even consider. And like stated its just what they have to do to keep the wrangler. However i feel it wouldn't be much hassle on their part to continue to let the name be as a legend. As far as i know its not too late for them to reconsider.

And to those stating the XJ tarnished the Cherokee name. At least the XJ continued the same values and ideas of a capable jeep. No, it didn't have a body on frame or a v8, but it still held true to being a good dd, capable wheeler, and an innovative, yet reliable vehicle.

Us jeepers need to stick together. Remember when it comes down to it, we're all here for the same reason. We love Jeeps!
Hey the xj tested out the front coil suspension for the TJ wrangler and is plenty capable without a frame. It is worth it

ghosttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #32
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
CAFE standards are a massive part of it because manufacturers have to meet fuel economy standards across the board combined mpg from all their vehicles now and they standards are raised over time to meet certain standards by certain years.

Boxy design and flat front ends kill mpgs. It's a sad fact, but there's no getting around it. Start factoring in safety standards like how a vehicle has to crush in the front in an accident and you lose things like steel bumpers and getting ****ty plastic and styrofoam ones.

Obviously consumer demand comes into play, but Federal regulations are a much bigger part of the design. That's why pretty much every vehicle on the road now is so rounded. CAFE standards have been around since the 70s, but they've been stepped up big time under the Obama administration.

Take Ford for example, they can get away with the Raptor because they have 16+ other vehicles to offset the total standards. Jeep has the Wrangler, but they've only got 4 other vehicles to offset it's footprint. It's why they moved away from the boxy, flat front end when they redsigned it and put in the slanted front end and rounded everything off so much.
Yeah, I knew all of that already and still stand by what I said. Yes, federal regulations are sloppy and heavy-handed, but that's what America wants based on who keeps getting elected (on BOTH sides of the aisle). Yeah, I like boxy designs and sturdy vehicles and all that, but are those things even necessary to have a true Jeep? See, we're getting into a philosophical "what IS a Jeep" discussion now. Aerodynamics are a good thing, and we've been trending to more and more aerodynamic designs since even before the Jeep was a thing. I don't think that every single vehicle should obsess over drag coefficients like they do now because style really gets homogenized that way, and it is nice to have some vehicles available that emphasize alternate styling or something else, but I digress.

My point is that I believe that what a Jeep IS is what a Jeep can DO. All the things that Jeeps can do can be done by burning less gas and wearing a more aerodynamic skin. Yeah, some of the newer safety measures interfere, but they do keep us safer and not all of them interfere. Bumpers come to mind as a potential problem, but a smart manufacturer could recognize this and allow easy removal for aftermarket bumpers to be put in their place (since even before fancy safety measures we swapped bumpers among other parts as a given).

Yes, even if you accept all of my opinions above, CAFE can still remain problematic because it was legislated by people who don't really know or care about cars the way we enthusiasts do--it forces every manufacturer into the same "box" and forces them all to behave the same way which does make it especially hard for anyone wanting to specialize in a niche other than ultra-high MPG vehicles. Nevertheless, I don't see how even the 2025 figure of 54 MPG should be that much of a problem--I just don't think anyone in the auto industry has had enough incentive to try to be efficient with their utility vehicles. CAFE is the reality we've made for ourselves, and worst case scenario--Jeep could just play the game and abuse the system by manufacturing a sort of "red herring" vehicle that's simply not "Jeepy" at all but brings their average way up by being ultra-efficient (heck, even name it Red Herring just to be cheeky). They're doing that already with stuff like the Compass, but they're holding back by trying to convince themselves and everyone else that even the Compass can be a Jeep. Screw it. Go all out and just make a Jeep-branded Smart Car/Prius/Insight/whatever and stop dabbling in mainstream junk so that the "real Jeeps" can have some breathing room.
Wheels wanted to buy:
4 or 5 Turbines, old XJ 5-slot,
KJ 17x7.5 6-spoke, or KJ 16x7 5-spoke alloy

Paying ~$50 per wheel--Classified ad HERE
Have 4 (oxidized) Lace and 5 Eccos for potential trade
Biologist
Dog trainer
Mountain biker
Gamer
Jeep owner
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #33
ghosttown
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well said
ghosttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #34
hoochbear
2000 XJ Cherokee 

jeep MANAGEMENT hierarchy--- TWITS on STEROIDS.
guess the beAN counters are back... the kind that ruined chrysler's engineering and such back in the 1950's.
hoochbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
barnettd

Name Change

I get the name heritage thing. They could name it something else. These days I am sure that some are going to complain that "Cherokee" isn't PC.

The V6 engine and 9 speed actually has the promise of being fun to drive.

I hope the "Cherokees" clear the way for a diesel wrangler.
barnettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #36
Cherokee74
2005 WK 

Hideous

The 2005 somewhat grew on me.
But when they changed the 2013 with the horizontal rear lights, it wqs clear they were evolving into the foreign car look. No thank you.

I'd give anything for Jeep to make the Cherokees look like the 1999-2004 design. I'll even settle for the 2005-2012. Just stop making them uglier & uglier.

Looks like I'll be going back to Chevy for my next vehicle.
Cherokee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #37
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Yes, federal regulations are sloppy and heavy-handed, but that's what America wants based on who keeps getting elected (on BOTH sides of the aisle).
As someone who participates heavily in the political process (not just elections) your average voter on both sides doesn't know what side they really fall on, or how much the person they vote in can royally screw up their lives.

Its how we get the term "Low Information Voter".
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettd View Post
I get the name heritage thing. They could name it something else. These days I am sure that some are going to complain that "Cherokee" isn't PC.

The V6 engine and 9 speed actually has the promise of being fun to drive.

I hope the "Cherokees" clear the way for a diesel wrangler.

First... here: http://jalopnik.com/driving-indias-j...burd-246306566

We probably wont get it because of focus groups and safety regs.

Second, the Cherokee (we call it the liberty) has been constantly being made for export since the XJ went out of production in the US.
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #39
Gearhead1941
2007 JK Wrangler 

I've owned the Cherokee and now I own a JK. Both are great in there own perspective. As for redoing the drive train of the JK .... I have 110k miles on mine and it is just fine. Can't beat it on the trails. I wish they would use more native American names for jeep. How about a JK Apache? Geronimo!!!!
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #40
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead1941 View Post
I've owned the Cherokee and now I own a JK. Both are great in there own perspective. As for redoing the drive train of the JK .... I have 110k miles on mine and it is just fine. Can't beat it on the trails. I wish they would use more native American names for jeep. How about a JK Apache? Geronimo!!!!
Someone would get buthurt over it.

We've been conditioned by Progressives for decades to not offend anyone, and to take offense where none existed, even when things are a tribute to the idea that something like the Cherokee nation was strong and tough.

So even if no Apache was ever offended, someone out there would get offended for them. And they would deserve to be run over by that very same Jeep Apache.

Unread 02-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #41
sigmarus

I agree with the point of this post, but cherokees have been going in the wrong direction for years.
sigmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #42
92XJWheeler

Thanks to all who supported this so far, hopefully it will keep growing.
92XJWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
Cherokee74
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmarus View Post
I agree with the point of this post, but cherokees have been going in the wrong direction for years.
Agreed. I think it started w/ the 05 redesign.
And it's not just about the appearance. The overall quality is aweful. I want the previous model back.
Cherokee74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.