Help preserve the Cherokee name from being tarnished! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Help preserve the Cherokee name from being tarnished!

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
titomars
1981 CJ7 

The only real Cherokee is a FSJ and it had 2 doors. Now before I get slammed I own an XJ. Honestly I love it for what it does for me but it is not one of the original Wagoneer/Cherokee's. Chrysler is slowly ruining the Jeep name and this newest soccer mom jeep is just ugly all day!! Just my opinion from another resident old timer.

This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #17
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you couldn't tell already, Jeep could give 2 fawks about what the consumer thinks of their vehicles.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

We're not exactly the average Jeep consumer. For every built Jeep there are thousands of DD soccer moms who love their Liberties, Grand Cherokees, and Compasses.

We might get lucky and get a decent Jeep pickup or something, but fact is CAFE standards and Federal regulations on auto manufacturing killed true offroad vehicles from Jeep and any other brand that can't offset bad fuel economy with a slew of other vehicles. You can thank the green treehuggers and dip****s like Obama for killing Jeeps.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #19
xgromx
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 

Im sorry, but the Cherokee name has been tarnished for years!
xgromx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
We're not exactly the average Jeep consumer. For every built Jeep there are thousands of DD soccer moms who love their Liberties, Grand Cherokees, and Compasses.

We might get lucky and get a decent Jeep pickup or something, but fact is CAFE standards and Federal regulations on auto manufacturing killed true offroad vehicles from Jeep and any other brand that can't offset bad fuel economy with a slew of other vehicles. You can thank the green treehuggers and dip****s like Obama for killing Jeeps.
Since when are inefficiency and pollution mandatory Jeep traits? Blame "treehuggers" (I'm not ashamed to identify myself as a treehugger) and politicians all you want, but that's the lazy way out. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a vehicle that meets acceptable emission standards and still has the stock capability (too many idiots out there think that they can compare new vehicles to their heavily customized rigs) we all love and build off of except genuine home-grown American ignorance and apathy. If you really need to place the blame with someone, place the blame with the consumers who generate demand for crappy designs without knowing any better and with voters who year after year after year elect terrible politicians into office.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #21
ghosttown
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Before this gets out of hand, the reality is they make vehicles that sell and make money. Only iconic vehicles and some select specilty models survive on their company flagship status. As far as off road capability and comparably sports cars etc even, the truth is that even if every jeep off road enthusiast from light duty to hardcore bought one, it wouldn't be as many as they sell to soccer moms looking for a ford edge without the right (insert styling, design, price, features, function here). The point is its hideous, and why they decided to disgust anyone with even a marginal eye for design and reasonable taste is beyond me.
ghosttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
KurtVW
2008 JK Wrangler 

Its an abortion.
Its an abomination.

Its a lot of things. But its not a Jeep.

Just rebadge it and call it a Chrysler, then everyone will expect it to be ugly and no one gets their panties all in a wad.
KurtVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #23
skydiver

Yeah. You do have too much time on your hands. The Cherokee is not a real Jeep. The Willys was a real Jeep. The Wrangler is a real Jeep. The Cherokee might be made by Jeep. But it is not a real Jeep.
skydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #24
dr350jja

I think they should call it something other than "Cherokee"!
dr350jja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #25
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Since when are inefficiency and pollution mandatory Jeep traits? Blame "treehuggers" (I'm not ashamed to identify myself as a treehugger) and politicians all you want, but that's the lazy way out. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a vehicle that meets acceptable emission standards and still has the stock capability (too many idiots out there think that they can compare new vehicles to their heavily customized rigs) we all love and build off of except genuine home-grown American ignorance and apathy. If you really need to place the blame with someone, place the blame with the consumers who generate demand for crappy designs without knowing any better and with voters who year after year after year elect terrible politicians into office.
CAFE standards are a massive part of it because manufacturers have to meet fuel economy standards across the board combined mpg from all their vehicles now and they standards are raised over time to meet certain standards by certain years.

Boxy design and flat front ends kill mpgs. It's a sad fact, but there's no getting around it. Start factoring in safety standards like how a vehicle has to crush in the front in an accident and you lose things like steel bumpers and getting ****ty plastic and styrofoam ones.

Obviously consumer demand comes into play, but Federal regulations are a much bigger part of the design. That's why pretty much every vehicle on the road now is so rounded. CAFE standards have been around since the 70s, but they've been stepped up big time under the Obama administration.

Take Ford for example, they can get away with the Raptor because they have 16+ other vehicles to offset the total standards. Jeep has the Wrangler, but they've only got 4 other vehicles to offset it's footprint. It's why they moved away from the boxy, flat front end when they redsigned it and put in the slanted front end and rounded everything off so much.

Unread 02-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #26
Gearhead1941
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just buy a real Jeep, a JK and be done with the Mall Crawler.....They come in 4 doors too you know...

And please don't start on the "offensive name" band wagon. The slight bit of Cherokee blood I have is proud to have a car named after them
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You couldn't pay me to touch a JK. Too much plastic, too many safety overrides, modern mandatory emissions crap kills the already crappy motor, the motors are prone to getting bad heads and Jeep is terrible about fixing it under warranty, ect.

I've seen plenty of good looking built JKs, but without a total drivetrain overhaul I wouldn't want one.

Unread 02-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
barnettd

Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
CAFE standards are a massive part of it because manufacturers have to meet fuel economy standards across the board combined mpg from all their vehicles now and they standards are raised over time to meet certain standards by certain years.

Boxy design and flat front ends kill mpgs. It's a sad fact, but there's no getting around it. Start factoring in safety standards like how a vehicle has to crush in the front in an accident and you lose things like steel bumpers and getting ****ty plastic and styrofoam ones.

Obviously consumer demand comes into play, but Federal regulations are a much bigger part of the design. That's why pretty much every vehicle on the road now is so rounded. CAFE standards have been around since the 70s, but they've been stepped up big time under the Obama administration.

Take Ford for example, they can get away with the Raptor because they have 16+ other vehicles to offset the total standards. Jeep has the Wrangler, but they've only got 4 other vehicles to offset it's footprint. It's why they moved away from the boxy, flat front end when they redsigned it and put in the slanted front end and rounded everything off so much.
This is correct. I hope they sell a million high mpg Liberkees. If you don't want to lose the Wrangler then you'd better hope they sell a bunch of these. it does not matter how you feel about CAFE, tree huggers, this Cherokee or the GC, Compass whatever... if you want something like a great off road jeep wrangler then buy a .... Jeep wrangler. the fact that they have successful SUVs, high MPG SUVs, allows them to keep building a great offroader like the JK. Its time for all Jeep owners to live in the same world the company must exist in. PS I owned CJs and have a JK. I just want a diesel now.

Last edited by barnettd; 02-24-2013 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: added thought
barnettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM   #29
ghosttown
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If I could put together my own all around jeep it would be with a small turbo diesel. The rest of the world gets them and we don't. I'm not knocking the 4dr JK it is what it is, but no diesel option when its the size of a commander?
ghosttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
92XJWheeler

Sorry to start a controversy.

This is just one of those things that i feel is worth fighting for, and yes because of family health issues i do have a lot of time on my hands while taking care of someone.

The original idea for creating this page and the hope is to keep the Cherokee name from being ruined. I don't like the vehicle more than anyone else but to ask jeep to change the design would be impossible. That would take far too much money for them to even consider. And like stated its just what they have to do to keep the wrangler. However i feel it wouldn't be much hassle on their part to continue to let the name be as a legend. As far as i know its not too late for them to reconsider.

And to those stating the XJ tarnished the Cherokee name. At least the XJ continued the same values and ideas of a capable jeep. No, it didn't have a body on frame or a v8, but it still held true to being a good dd, capable wheeler, and an innovative, yet reliable vehicle.

Us jeepers need to stick together. Remember when it comes down to it, we're all here for the same reason. We love Jeeps!
92XJWheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.