Help preserve the Cherokee name from being tarnished! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 43 Old 02-23-2013, 06:13 PM
titomars
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 1,808
The only real Cherokee is a FSJ and it had 2 doors. Now before I get slammed I own an XJ. Honestly I love it for what it does for me but it is not one of the original Wagoneer/Cherokee's. Chrysler is slowly ruining the Jeep name and this newest soccer mom jeep is just ugly all day!! Just my opinion from another resident old timer.


1981 Jeep CJ7 4.0 HO, AX-15, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1977 Chevrolet C/10 step side 454 TH400 3.73 posi
titomars is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 43 Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
ibjeepin95
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Harrisonburg, VA
Posts: 4,248
If you couldn't tell already, Jeep could give 2 fawks about what the consumer thinks of their vehicles.
ibjeepin95 is offline  
post #18 of 43 Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,706
We're not exactly the average Jeep consumer. For every built Jeep there are thousands of DD soccer moms who love their Liberties, Grand Cherokees, and Compasses.

We might get lucky and get a decent Jeep pickup or something, but fact is CAFE standards and Federal regulations on auto manufacturing killed true offroad vehicles from Jeep and any other brand that can't offset bad fuel economy with a slew of other vehicles. You can thank the green treehuggers and dip****s like Obama for killing Jeeps.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline  
post #19 of 43 Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 PM
xgromx
Registered User
1985 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Manteo
Posts: 1
Im sorry, but the Cherokee name has been tarnished for years!
xgromx is offline  
post #20 of 43 Old 02-23-2013, 10:23 PM
mschi772
Web Wheeler
 
mschi772's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine
Posts: 3,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
We're not exactly the average Jeep consumer. For every built Jeep there are thousands of DD soccer moms who love their Liberties, Grand Cherokees, and Compasses.

We might get lucky and get a decent Jeep pickup or something, but fact is CAFE standards and Federal regulations on auto manufacturing killed true offroad vehicles from Jeep and any other brand that can't offset bad fuel economy with a slew of other vehicles. You can thank the green treehuggers and dip****s like Obama for killing Jeeps.
Since when are inefficiency and pollution mandatory Jeep traits? Blame "treehuggers" (I'm not ashamed to identify myself as a treehugger) and politicians all you want, but that's the lazy way out. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a vehicle that meets acceptable emission standards and still has the stock capability (too many idiots out there think that they can compare new vehicles to their heavily customized rigs) we all love and build off of except genuine home-grown American ignorance and apathy. If you really need to place the blame with someone, place the blame with the consumers who generate demand for crappy designs without knowing any better and with voters who year after year after year elect terrible politicians into office.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
mschi772 is offline  
post #21 of 43 Old 02-23-2013, 10:58 PM
ghosttown
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: eugene
Posts: 14
Before this gets out of hand, the reality is they make vehicles that sell and make money. Only iconic vehicles and some select specilty models survive on their company flagship status. As far as off road capability and comparably sports cars etc even, the truth is that even if every jeep off road enthusiast from light duty to hardcore bought one, it wouldn't be as many as they sell to soccer moms looking for a ford edge without the right (insert styling, design, price, features, function here). The point is its hideous, and why they decided to disgust anyone with even a marginal eye for design and reasonable taste is beyond me.
ghosttown is offline  
post #22 of 43 Old 02-23-2013, 11:13 PM
KurtVW
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 11
Its an abortion.
Its an abomination.

Its a lot of things. But its not a Jeep.

Just rebadge it and call it a Chrysler, then everyone will expect it to be ugly and no one gets their panties all in a wad.
KurtVW is offline  
post #23 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 07:14 AM
skydiver
Registered User
2009  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Romeo Michigan
Posts: 3
Yeah. You do have too much time on your hands. The Cherokee is not a real Jeep. The Willys was a real Jeep. The Wrangler is a real Jeep. The Cherokee might be made by Jeep. But it is not a real Jeep.
skydiver is offline  
post #24 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM
dr350jja
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Aurora
Posts: 10
I think they should call it something other than "Cherokee"!
dr350jja is offline  
post #25 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Since when are inefficiency and pollution mandatory Jeep traits? Blame "treehuggers" (I'm not ashamed to identify myself as a treehugger) and politicians all you want, but that's the lazy way out. There's nothing stopping anyone from making a vehicle that meets acceptable emission standards and still has the stock capability (too many idiots out there think that they can compare new vehicles to their heavily customized rigs) we all love and build off of except genuine home-grown American ignorance and apathy. If you really need to place the blame with someone, place the blame with the consumers who generate demand for crappy designs without knowing any better and with voters who year after year after year elect terrible politicians into office.
CAFE standards are a massive part of it because manufacturers have to meet fuel economy standards across the board combined mpg from all their vehicles now and they standards are raised over time to meet certain standards by certain years.

Boxy design and flat front ends kill mpgs. It's a sad fact, but there's no getting around it. Start factoring in safety standards like how a vehicle has to crush in the front in an accident and you lose things like steel bumpers and getting ****ty plastic and styrofoam ones.

Obviously consumer demand comes into play, but Federal regulations are a much bigger part of the design. That's why pretty much every vehicle on the road now is so rounded. CAFE standards have been around since the 70s, but they've been stepped up big time under the Obama administration.

Take Ford for example, they can get away with the Raptor because they have 16+ other vehicles to offset the total standards. Jeep has the Wrangler, but they've only got 4 other vehicles to offset it's footprint. It's why they moved away from the boxy, flat front end when they redsigned it and put in the slanted front end and rounded everything off so much.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline  
post #26 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Gearhead1941
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dixiana
Posts: 9
Just buy a real Jeep, a JK and be done with the Mall Crawler.....They come in 4 doors too you know...

And please don't start on the "offensive name" band wagon. The slight bit of Cherokee blood I have is proud to have a car named after them

Jeeple are the best People around.
Gearhead1941 is offline  
post #27 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Motorcharge
Bandeded
 
Motorcharge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 13,706
You couldn't pay me to touch a JK. Too much plastic, too many safety overrides, modern mandatory emissions crap kills the already crappy motor, the motors are prone to getting bad heads and Jeep is terrible about fixing it under warranty, ect.

I've seen plenty of good looking built JKs, but without a total drivetrain overhaul I wouldn't want one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline  
post #28 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 AM
barnettd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: fort myers
Posts: 164
Mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
CAFE standards are a massive part of it because manufacturers have to meet fuel economy standards across the board combined mpg from all their vehicles now and they standards are raised over time to meet certain standards by certain years.

Boxy design and flat front ends kill mpgs. It's a sad fact, but there's no getting around it. Start factoring in safety standards like how a vehicle has to crush in the front in an accident and you lose things like steel bumpers and getting ****ty plastic and styrofoam ones.

Obviously consumer demand comes into play, but Federal regulations are a much bigger part of the design. That's why pretty much every vehicle on the road now is so rounded. CAFE standards have been around since the 70s, but they've been stepped up big time under the Obama administration.

Take Ford for example, they can get away with the Raptor because they have 16+ other vehicles to offset the total standards. Jeep has the Wrangler, but they've only got 4 other vehicles to offset it's footprint. It's why they moved away from the boxy, flat front end when they redsigned it and put in the slanted front end and rounded everything off so much.
This is correct. I hope they sell a million high mpg Liberkees. If you don't want to lose the Wrangler then you'd better hope they sell a bunch of these. it does not matter how you feel about CAFE, tree huggers, this Cherokee or the GC, Compass whatever... if you want something like a great off road jeep wrangler then buy a .... Jeep wrangler. the fact that they have successful SUVs, high MPG SUVs, allows them to keep building a great offroader like the JK. Its time for all Jeep owners to live in the same world the company must exist in. PS I owned CJs and have a JK. I just want a diesel now.

Last edited by barnettd; 02-24-2013 at 11:42 AM. Reason: added thought
barnettd is offline  
post #29 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 PM
ghosttown
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: eugene
Posts: 14
If I could put together my own all around jeep it would be with a small turbo diesel. The rest of the world gets them and we don't. I'm not knocking the 4dr JK it is what it is, but no diesel option when its the size of a commander?
ghosttown is offline  
post #30 of 43 Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
92XJWheeler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 3
Sorry to start a controversy.

This is just one of those things that i feel is worth fighting for, and yes because of family health issues i do have a lot of time on my hands while taking care of someone.

The original idea for creating this page and the hope is to keep the Cherokee name from being ruined. I don't like the vehicle more than anyone else but to ask jeep to change the design would be impossible. That would take far too much money for them to even consider. And like stated its just what they have to do to keep the wrangler. However i feel it wouldn't be much hassle on their part to continue to let the name be as a legend. As far as i know its not too late for them to reconsider.

And to those stating the XJ tarnished the Cherokee name. At least the XJ continued the same values and ideas of a capable jeep. No, it didn't have a body on frame or a v8, but it still held true to being a good dd, capable wheeler, and an innovative, yet reliable vehicle.

Us jeepers need to stick together. Remember when it comes down to it, we're all here for the same reason. We love Jeeps!
92XJWheeler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome