HELP best suspension lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > HELP best suspension lift

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
JOCORTEZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

HELP best suspension lift

First time jeep owner, first time forum posting. So I am a proud new owner of a 99 Jeep Cherokee XJ limited! First things first, I need a suspension Lift! Please advise on the best option for me, I live outside of Houston, Tx area and do NOT do the rock crawling thing and that kinda blows... But I do get into some trails and do some muddin! This being said who has the better system for me? No crawling just mudding. My concern is I want the overall dependibility of the vehicle to stay high on the list. I will be having my family in it on weekend trips to the beach, river runs, camping, or vacations. I will sometimes be pulling a john boat and trailer I dont know if thats relivant. Looking for 4 to 5 inches in lift. Been looking at Rubicon Express and Rough Country systems the question is what one fits me best? These seem to be the best from what I gather but are there pros and cons between them? Is there another brand I should be looking at? I dont want to get something or hate becouse I didnt ask. Well Im turning it over to the experts here! All input is greatly appreciated and considered! Please advise... Thank You
P.S. I know this question has been beat to death... Sorry

JOCORTEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOCORTEZ View Post
P.S. I know this question has been beat to death... Sorry
Then why didn't you do a search and educate yourself by reading through all the info already out there?

If it wasn't for the mudding height requirement, it would honestly be an easy answer in my opinion: Old Man Emu. Unfortunately they don't go nearly that high. If you're lifting that high, you have a lot of research and planning you should do. Lifting 4+ inches is not something you just buy a simple kit and install for. You'll have to do something with your track bar, your control arms, SYE, diff pinion adjustment...if you're going to put big tires under that lift, you might want or need to re-gear and recalibrate your speedo (very quick and easy)

Since OME isn't really an option for you, then I'd personally piece my own lift together rather than buying a kit. If that's not an option for you, then I'd probably go with BDS or RE.

P.S. First thing's first indeed. Hopefully you've done or plan to do some thorough maintenance on it; I've never seen a used vehicle for sale that wasn't neglected in some way. It's wise to just change all the fluids and do a tune-up when buying a used XJ right away--it's extremely cheap insurance.
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
JOCORTEZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So whats my other option, less modifications wise? Is 3" the max lift height to go without worrying about the mods you listed?
Unread 01-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOCORTEZ
So whats my other option, less modifications wise? Is 3" the max lift height to go without worrying about the mods you listed?
Yeah but if you want it higher than that you mine as well do it the first time.
Here's a 3in lift on my xj for reference.
image-2568098806.jpg

Unread 01-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOCORTEZ
Pretty much. Even at 3" you may encounter driveline vibration and need at least a transfer case drop if not an SYE.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
JOCORTEZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok someone tell the newbie what a SYE is?
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
JOCORTEZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ahhh yes... Slip Yoke Eliminator. Please forgive

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.