headliner replacement 2001 XJ Sport - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > headliner replacement 2001 XJ Sport

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanJeep Long Arm Upgrade Kits on SALE for as low as $649.95 S

Unread 02-12-2015, 02:40 PM   #1
ziajeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

headliner replacement 2001 XJ Sport

How technical does replacing the headliner get? I am beginner rookie all the way. Done a few fixes on my 01 Sport 2x4 but would like to attempt headliner if it's significantly cheaper than a quick shop visit.

Otherwise, anyone in Houston, TX area have a good shop recommendation?

Thanks for the advice!

ziajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #2
XJ2Timer

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...eduex-1778554/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/u...mbers-1523096/
Unread 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
2000_XJ_MI
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pull it out, pull the fabric, scrub off the adhesive/leftover fuzz, spray it with bedliner, re-install it.
2000_XJ_MI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
ziajeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks 2000_XJ_MI and XJ2Timer! That useful links forum is awesome, thanks for pointing me in that direction!
ziajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #5
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziajeep View Post
How technical does replacing the headliner get? I am beginner rookie all the way. Done a few fixes on my 01 Sport 2x4 but would like to attempt headliner if it's significantly cheaper than a quick shop visit.

Otherwise, anyone in Houston, TX area have a good shop recommendation?

Thanks for the advice!
Iv heard of people having someone do it for $150 but my quote from my local shop was $386 HA so for me its significantly cheaper. Not sure of the diy cost but the fabric nnd adhesive can't be much.
Unread 02-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
Tagg

Headliner Replacement

I just did 2 XJ headliner replacements in the past 6 months. The cost was about $ 70.00 each for materials and glue. Items where purchased from Joann Fabrics stores.
Tagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 05:10 AM   #7
jeepjunkie97

Make sure to go rather heavy with the adhesive. First time I put some 3m super 77 on, it was clear but wasn't enough, put it so it looked like a dusting of snow and it stuck pretty dang good. Don't be afraid to let it sit and stick over night. Just don't put it in your room because it will smell like adhesive for a week
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
2000_XJ_MI
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The trick with most spray adhesives is to coat both surfaces that are to be "mated" before installation. This allows the adhesive to cure to each part before putting them together.
The directions are pretty clear on the good name brands...3M for example.
2000_XJ_MI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #9
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Doing the headliner is pretty straight forward. Don't spray it with bed liner though as another person mentioned.

I bought some fabric for mine from Teamcherokee.com they had the right color and length so I only had to trim it a little bit.

You can do it in an afternoon if you take your time. You just have to unbolt all the trim pieces, unbolt the visors, and pull out the headliner. Then just scrape off the old stuff, spray on some glue, apply the new fabric and re-install.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.