Headliner repair/replacement help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Headliner repair/replacement help

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-10-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
Hunterdad
2005 WK 

Headliner repair/replacement help

The headliner in my new-to-me '90 XJ is sagging bad. It rubs my head when I'm driving and it drives me bananas I found some headliner kits, but they are expensive. I was wondering what other fabrics you guys have used. Im thinking I have 3 options:

1) Staple the bastard back up and wait for it to fall again
2) Buy the little plastic headliner screws that the sell at the autoparts store.
3) Pick up some sweet looking fleece or other material and glue it up there.

I'm personally diggin option 3 but don't know what kind of glue to use or even know if it's worth it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

Hunterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
husker88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Here's what I'll be doing to mine this weekend....

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/cherokee/

It cost me about 30$ for 3 yards of roof foam material from the fabric store, and then they sold me the can of 3M foam adhesive for $20 = $50 total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdad View Post
The headliner in my new-to-me '90 XJ is sagging bad. It rubs my head when I'm driving and it drives me bananas I found some headliner kits, but they are expensive. I was wondering what other fabrics you guys have used. Im thinking I have 3 options:

1) Staple the bastard back up and wait for it to fall again
2) Buy the little plastic headliner screws that the sell at the autoparts store.
3) Pick up some sweet looking fleece or other material and glue it up there.

I'm personally diggin option 3 but don't know what kind of glue to use or even know if it's worth it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam
husker88jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Fletch8672
1975 CJ5 

Someone on here used a bed sheet... he had pictures as well. It looked pretty decent but I think the sheets were Spongebob Squarebritches or something with a design. I just took off my soundbar fabric (per advice from JF) and sanded off the foam. Then I painted it black w/ Krylon Fusion. It looks pretty good for an amateur. I've even heard of people just ripping out the whole headliner & Rhinolining the ceiling...

Anyway, good luck...
~Black Jeep Society~
Fletch8672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Hunterdad
2005 WK 

I just plan on using the existing foam up there and getting a cool wildlife pattern in fleece.
Hunterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdad View Post
I just plan on using the existing foam up there and getting a cool wildlife pattern in fleece.
You cant.

To do it correctly, you need to remove the headliner board from the Jeep. Dont bend the board, remove all material, and scrape off all the old foam and glue. Grab some headliner glue (not 3m super 77) get whatever material you want (I used actual headliner material from the fabric store) glue it down, and let it sit overnight before re-installing the board.

This pic shows the results of my reupholstered headliner (25 bucks in material and glue) and I re-wrapped my overhead console the same way.

88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
voodo3184
1987 XJ Cherokee 

do you have to put new foam down or just put the new fabric over the board? i need to do this badly in mine too but wasn't sure how to do it the right way and look good.

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/voodo3184/
voodo3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
husker88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

What about this product?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...FoamFast74.jpg

This is what the lady told me to use, should I use something other than this? If so.. what do you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XJSport View Post
You cant.

To do it correctly, you need to remove the headliner board from the Jeep. Dont bend the board, remove all material, and scrape off all the old foam and glue. Grab some headliner glue (not 3m super 77) get whatever material you want (I used actual headliner material from the fabric store) glue it down, and let it sit overnight before re-installing the board.

This pic shows the results of my reupholstered headliner (25 bucks in material and glue) and I re-wrapped my overhead console the same way.

Unread 03-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker88jeep View Post
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...FoamFast74.jpg

This is what the lady told me to use, should I use something other than this? If so.. what do you recommend?
Go to autozone and look for the orange can called Headliner Adhesive. It is in an orange can and is made by permatex. The first time I did the job, the 3m crab let go after 2 days. Headliner glue has held up now for going on 3 years.
Unread 03-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
husker88jeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XJSport View Post
Go to autozone and look for the orange can called Headliner Adhesive. It is in an orange can and is made by permatex. The first time I did the job, the 3m crab let go after 2 days. Headliner glue has held up now for going on 3 years.
thats good to know!
Unread 04-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
bigbadXJ
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Get 3M Super 90 Hi temp holds better that 77 and the crap from autozone will fall as soon as temps inside the car get over 100 f which means like 85 f with your windows up.
'91 YJ
I love Jeeps
bigbadXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
voodo3184
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i ended up just ripping mine out and going with out a headliner for now. i'll get a new one eventually just not any time soon.

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww3/voodo3184/
voodo3184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #12
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadXJ View Post
and the crap from autozone will fall as soon as temps inside the car get over 100 f which means like 85 f with your windows up.

FYI Im going on 3 years, and it hasnt fallen yet. Turns out headliner specific adhesive works great on headliners. Oh and Permatex is what the body shops use, so I figured I would gamble on it. Its not just crap from autozone.
Unread 04-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
SILASPRIT
1997 ZJ 

can you swap in a headliner with the overhead console into an older xj that didnt have one or not? i need a headliner and i found a guy that has one but it has the overhead console thing

-SOLD-
1997 Grand Cherokee 5.2 Limited - D44a Trussed 4.10 Gears - HP30 4.10 Gears - NP242 - IRO HnT - IRO Custom Drive Shaft - 4.5" lift - JKS Quicker Disconnects -
RC Front ADJ. Trackbar - IRO Rear ADJ. Trackbar - Rusty's Lower ADJ. CA's - Front tow hooks - Rear OE Hitch - T-Case Skid -
Gas Tank Skid - Bilstein 5125's - 31" MTR's - Magnaflow SS Muffler - 1.25" Wheel Spacers - Custom Rock Sliders - Cobra 19 DXIV

I am an Authorized IRO dealer!!
SILASPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILASPRIT View Post
can you swap in a headliner with the overhead console into an older xj that didnt have one or not? i need a headliner and i found a guy that has one but it has the overhead console thing
Yes. I added a overhead console to mine. And the OHC wasnt even an option until 1990!
Unread 05-02-2009, 08:48 AM   #15
1BadBoy2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I replaced mine with cloth-backed vinyl from a local army surplus store. I wanted something that I could wipe clean & wouldn't retain odor (smoking).

It was fairly easy except: vinyl is heavy & requires a strong adhesive. I used the rubber contact cement liquid in a non-aerosol can (the second time). Sprayed it with a paint type gun.

The first attempt I used the regular spray adhesive & it started dropping after two days. That really crapped out my headliner backing board to remove & redo.

It's been hanging for about four months now & looks great. Does have a few "texture" areas from the first attempt, but the vinyl smooths the backboard more than regular headliner material would.

Total cost including redo was under $50

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.