Headliner questions - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Headliner questions

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #46
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01 View Post
How much did you get your roll on for and how much did you use
I found a herculiner roll-on kit for $75ish +tax at a store. It came with a gallon, a brush and two rollers. I used a little more than half the gallon to do two coats. So if you've got rollers sitting around just buy a couple pints. I also picked up a rattle-can for like $8 to do the speaker grilles and lights.

Wasn't MUCH cheaper than having it done, but it was easy and I didn't want to have to take it to a shop, it was more about the time than the money for me.

Unread 04-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #47
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

I found a herculiner roll-on kit for $75ish +tax at a store. It came with a gallon, a brush and two rollers. I used a little more than half the gallon to do two coats. So if you've got rollers sitting around just buy a couple pints. I also picked up a rattle-can for like $8 to do the speaker grilles and lights.

Wasn't MUCH cheaper than having it done, but it was easy and I didn't want to have to take it to a shop, it was more about the time than the money for me.
That's probably what I'll do but since I have some plasti dip that's what I'll use on the speaker grills and lights
XJkid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #48
troydg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonr71
I didn't notice any noise difference. It's not like our XJ's are the quietest anyway. I did line the roof with some adhesive aluminum flashing I got a Lowes. It is almost the same thing as Dynamat, but at a fraction of the cost. Here are a few pics. I did my headliner in black because it matches my trim, but for a few extra dollars they can color match.
I love the camo you have!
troydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #49
citRon
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesjr View Post
You can get headliner fabric at any good local fabric shop. Locally I can get the headliner material for around $3 a yard. By the time I buy a couple cans of good 3M adhesive, I'd have around $35-$40 in the material. Then it only is a matter of time to do it.
$3 a yard is awesome! The only place around here that carries it wants $16 a yard!
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:16 PM   #50
bobbo_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

The roll-on sounds like a good choice plus you have spare paint. I JUST finished spray painting mine with rust-oleum's truck bed coating, over a can worth of rust-oleum primer (Filler/Primer). One can of the filler/primer is not enough and the fiber lines of the board still transferred somewhat through 3 cans worth of the bedliner spray paint. My spray painting skills are not great so results are a touch blotchy but still satisfied.

If I had to do it again I would do a roll on application. But I think with 2 cans of 11oz primer/filler and 4 cans of 15oz spray can bedliner you can get decent results if you are ok at spray painting. FWIW, based on bluejunior's paint usage my estimate is near the same volume of total paint (82oz vs. say 5/8ths of a gallon? -80oz). So you might be able to save money by using more primer than bedliner spray? IDK about the results.

BTW I also taped 12 feet of 16inch of double bubble reflectix ($8 worth), loosely fitted under the metal roof. My air conditioner can use all the help it can get.
Unread 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #51
lawsonr71
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydg View Post
I love the camo you have!
Thanks. It's Multicam.
Unread 04-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #52
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo_xj View Post
The roll-on sounds like a good choice plus you have spare paint. I JUST finished spray painting mine with rust-oleum's truck bed coating, over a can worth of rust-oleum primer (Filler/Primer). One can of the filler/primer is not enough and the fiber lines of the board still transferred somewhat through 3 cans worth of the bedliner spray paint. My spray painting skills are not great so results are a touch blotchy but still satisfied.

If I had to do it again I would do a roll on application. But I think with 2 cans of 11oz primer/filler and 4 cans of 15oz spray can bedliner you can get decent results if you are ok at spray painting. FWIW, based on bluejunior's paint usage my estimate is near the same volume of total paint (82oz vs. say 5/8ths of a gallon? -80oz). So you might be able to save money by using more primer than bedliner spray? IDK about the results.

BTW I also taped 12 feet of 16inch of double bubble reflectix ($8 worth), loosely fitted under the metal roof. My air conditioner can use all the help it can get.

It's worth mentioning that the roll-on herculiner came out much more heavily textured (if I owned a camera I'd post a pick, but my smartphone's out of commission right now) than the spray-on job originally posted. None of the fiber lines came through, but it's knobby not smooth.
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #53
jeepjunkie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior

It's worth mentioning that the roll-on herculiner came out much more heavily textured (if I owned a camera I'd post a pick, but my smartphone's out of commission right now) than the spray-on job originally posted. None of the fiber lines came through, but it's knobby not smooth.
Maybe if you sanded it with a finer grit it would smooth it some?
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #54
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunkie97 View Post

Maybe if you sanded it with a finer grit it would smooth it some?
I like ot fine as is, I just thought I'd give a heads up to anyone reading and considering using that brand.
Unread 05-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #55
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought the herculiner kit. Tomorrow I'll get it all rolled on
Unread 05-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #56
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How do you take the lights off the headliner board? Do I just brute it off???
Unread 05-10-2014, 11:07 AM   #57
jeepjunkie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01
Take the plastic lens off and look for a screw or under te bulb? Not exactly sure though just my suggestion
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #58
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01
No,
For 97+ take the middle light cover off to access the screws that hold the fixture in place. Same for front and back.

For 97-Take off the plastic light cover off then you have to get those stupid tabs off with a needle nose. Same for front and back. Quite the pita.
Unread 05-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #59
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaYankee View Post

No,
For 97+ take the middle light cover off to access the screws that hold the fixture in place. Same for front and back.

For 97-Take off the plastic light cover off then you have to get those stupid tabs off with a needle nose. Same for front and back. Quite the pita.
What about the seat belts in the back?
Unread 05-10-2014, 12:45 PM   #60
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01 View Post

What about the seat belts in the back?
Just a big torx bolt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.