Headliner questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Headliner questions

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Headliner questions

I've been searching the forums and have found a couple places online where people have purchased their new headliner/headliner kits. All of these are pushing almost $100. I really don't want to spend that much. Do you guys know of any places that might be cheaper. What if I just take the headliner out and leave bare metal? Any ideas?

XJkid01 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Do you need a new headliner board (it's made of fiberglass, not metal), or do you just need to reupholster it with new fabric? Some people just paint the board, but that looks hideous in my opinion. Having nothing up there at all (bare metal) may likely increase cabin noise as well and be uglier than a bare board. If your board is fine, you can use any fabric you want (as long as it won't let the glue ruin it or soak through); you don't need that "special" foam-backed headliner material if you don't want it. Go to your local fabric store and pick something out.

There are numerous write-ups on how to do this (quite easy to do), but here are a few I skimmed off the top of a quick search.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My board is fine I just didn't know if it's with the hundred to replace the fabric or if I should just take it all off
Unread 02-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01
My board is fine I just didn't know if it's with the hundred to replace the fabric or if I should just take it all off
New boards are hard to come by. You've likely been looking at overpriced fabric+adhesive kits.

Sent from my phone
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
jeepjunkie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJkid01
Same with mine. The cloth just droops and with this abnormally colder weather it's making the adhesive fail miserably. When it warms up I think I'll remove and re adhesive the board and get new cloth or put the old back up because it's pretty clean
jeepjunkie97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
mjonesjr
1998 ZJ 

You can get headliner fabric at any good local fabric shop. Locally I can get the headliner material for around $3 a yard. By the time I buy a couple cans of good 3M adhesive, I'd have around $35-$40 in the material. Then it only is a matter of time to do it.
mjonesjr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM   #7
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Do it yourself. Headliner reduex

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
VOTE for the Rocktober Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
multmigs
2003 WJ 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281030790345...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

buy this
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
zaxfire69
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I did my Headliner with Foam backed material from Jo Ann Fabrics. They have the material and it is great. I have a thread on here where I took pictures. I'll try to post the link.
zaxfire69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm gonna try to get by a local fabric store Monday, since I don't have school, and see what they have
Unread 02-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
WJChris01
2001 WJ 

When I did mine, I didn't go with the foam backed fabric. Because in another few years, you'll have the same issue.....the foam breaks gets brittle due to heat and other stuff and that is what causes the original headliner to fail. I went with some decently thick wool type fabric(it was on sale for $3 a yard and a nice dark charcoal color). 3 yards of fabric, couple cans of spray adhesive and you're done.

- 1998 XJ Sport
Bone stock for now......
WJChris01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #12
lawsonr71
2007 WK 

Alternitive to fabric

There is one fix that guarntees that the headliner will never sag again. LineX!
I found a thread on this forum about year and half ago where one member did his. He bought the bedliner product from his local auto parts store. I thought his looked good so I decided to take a chance and try it, and I must say I am very happy. Total cost was $70 at my local LineX shop. That was cheaper and less aggrivating than trying to put fabric back on. If you want I can post some pics, just let me know.
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #13
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsonr71 View Post
There is one fix that guarntees that the headliner will never sag again. LineX!
I found a thread on this forum about year and half ago where one member did his. He bought the bedliner product from his local auto parts store. I thought his looked good so I decided to take a chance and try it, and I must say I am very happy. Total cost was $70 at my local LineX shop. That was cheaper and less aggrivating than trying to put fabric back on. If you want I can post some pics, just let me know.
Yeah if you could post some pictures please. Did that make it a louder ride?
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #14
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

2 things increase if you don't have the headliner "board" in place. 1. Noise 2. Cold temps. After 2 failed attempts with good adhesive I removed mine one last time and painted it flat gray to match the interior. If you use the right flat color it looks fine and I'll never need to mess with it again. My cost was about $13 in spray paint.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #15
XJkid01
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have some pretty knobby 31s and I really don't want to have anymore road noise since its my DD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.