headlights - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-14-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99

Garage
Xj headlights

looking for some budget friendly headlights the stock ones suck as everyone knows i have a 96 xj let me know whats out there

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 PM
imthehink
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I ran this setup for years, literally night and day difference!

Housings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-003427...BYWjME&vxp=mtr

Bulbs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-H4-100...ZXabkg&vxp=mtr

Relay/Harness:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4-9...xTrhqt&vxp=mtr

1999 XJ
4.5" BDS and Stuff.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 08:49 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Best bang for the buck is the harness.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 AM
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Please see this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/headlights-2891137/

Thank-you.

Cannot stress the importance of the relay harness enough as the first thing to do.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #5 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 AM
75SV1

Harness($20-$40), or Autopals($40-$50/bulbs). Then both. If you have the money, Hellas or Cibies. I haven't tested the harness with stock bulbs. So, I can't attest to that setup. I would rate the Autopals with stock wiring harness at 2X the light. Autopals with the harness 4X stock. I am also using the bulbs that came with the Autopals. So, they could be better with upgraded bulbs. I am judging this with near new stock halogens.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 01:39 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro99 View Post
looking for some budget friendly headlights the stock ones suck as everyone knows i have a 96 xj let me know whats out there
Harness! My lamps were getting 9v when the ****ty factory harness was under load. No headlamp does well under those circumstances.

Do that first, then grab some autopal housings and decent H4 bulbs if you want more.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

post #7 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 PM
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Harness! My lamps were getting 9v when the ****ty factory harness was under load. No headlamp does well under those circumstances.

Do that first, then grab some autopal housings and decent H4 bulbs if you want more.
9v at your lights is about 30% voltage drop which translates into something like 70-90% decrease in light output. That's just scary to think about. Voltage drop in the factory lighting is insane ESPECIALLY after 20+ years of aging wires and connectors. Relay harness is SOOOO important.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #8 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post

9v at your lights is about 30% voltage drop which translates into something like 70-90% decrease in light output. That's just scary to think about. Voltage drop in the factory lighting is insane ESPECIALLY after 20+ years of aging wires and connectors. Relay harness is SOOOO important.
I was shocked when I measured. It explained a lot. Wish I hadnt lost the comparison picture of passenger harness vs driver's factory wiring on stock spec sealed beams. It was eye opening.

post #9 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
COMTB
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I don't want to thread hijack but it is related. How hard is it to completely replace the factory wiring instead of an add-on harness? Does the factory wiring not get used anymore with the new H4 harness (except or the switch)?

1989 XJ Build:
post #10 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMTB View Post
I don't want to thread hijack but it is related. How hard is it to completely replace the factory wiring instead of an add-on harness? Does the factory wiring not get used anymore with the new H4 harness (except or the switch)?

WAY harder than makes any sense to do unless it's so badly damaged that you can't get a signal out to a relay harness. It's badly laid out, undergauged and between the dash and bay harnesses is wrapped up with about a billion other systems' wiring.

With an H4 add-on harness (bought or home made) the factory headlight circuit is still used, or at least the passenger side output is, but it only carries ~1 amp to activate the relays based on the factory dash/column switches.

post #11 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
COMTB
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
WAY harder than makes any sense to do unless it's so badly damaged that you can't get a signal out to a relay harness. It's badly laid out, undergauged and between the dash and bay harnesses is wrapped up with about a billion other systems' wiring.

With an H4 add-on harness (bought or home made) the factory headlight circuit is still used, or at least the passenger side output is, but it only carries ~1 amp to activate the relays based on the factory dash/column switches.

Thanks! Harness ordered. My Passenger side high beams don't work because they pinched the existing harness in between the radiator and the radiator frame (mount? whatever it's called). I need to remove the rad to see what happened and repair the wires.

Thanks for your info as usual @bluejunior

1989 XJ Build:
post #12 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMTB View Post
Thanks! Harness ordered. My Passenger side high beams don't work because they pinched the existing harness in between the radiator and the radiator frame (mount? whatever it's called). I need to remove the rad to see what happened and repair the wires.

Thanks for your info as usual @bluejunior
No problem, and that shouldn't be too bad to fix. There'a a lot less in the harness that far forward, in fact if it split where I think it did it's just the three wire low/high/ground. take the battery out and you should have enough room to get an iron on it even in the bay. Worst case there's definitely enough room to slap in a patch wire and a couple crimp connectors, insulated ones last and there's no need for an ideal connection when you're just trying to trigger a relay.

post #13 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99

Garage
thank you every one for theyre suggestions looks like im gonna do a little electrical work can anyone give me a link too a good wiring harness
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro99 View Post
thank you every one for theyre suggestions looks like im gonna do a little electrical work can anyone give me a link too a good wiring harness
https://www.ebay.com/i/310881156715?...D1260372301250

That's the one I use. I had the more popular putco one, but had problems with the weird relays and connectors. The one above uses standard 5 pin relays that are easy to find and I haven't had any trouble with it. Plus it's about half the price!

post #15 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99

Garage
thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.