headlights - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 07-14-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 17
Garage
Xj headlights

looking for some budget friendly headlights the stock ones suck as everyone knows i have a 96 xj let me know whats out there

lazaro99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 07-14-2017, 07:45 PM
imthehink
Web Wheeler
 
imthehink's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 1,150
I ran this setup for years, literally night and day difference!

Housings:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-003427...BYWjME&vxp=mtr

Bulbs:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-H4-100...ZXabkg&vxp=mtr

Relay/Harness:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4-9...xTrhqt&vxp=mtr

1999 XJ
4.5" BDS and Stuff.
imthehink is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 08:49 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 11,576
Best bang for the buck is the harness.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Jeep technical photos:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cruiser54 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 09:11 AM
mschi772
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine
Posts: 3,341
Garage
Please see this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/headlights-2891137/

Thank-you.

Cannot stress the importance of the relay harness enough as the first thing to do.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
mschi772 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 AM
75SV1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,565
Harness($20-$40), or Autopals($40-$50/bulbs). Then both. If you have the money, Hellas or Cibies. I haven't tested the harness with stock bulbs. So, I can't attest to that setup. I would rate the Autopals with stock wiring harness at 2X the light. Autopals with the harness 4X stock. I am also using the bulbs that came with the Autopals. So, they could be better with upgraded bulbs. I am judging this with near new stock halogens.
75SV1 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 01:39 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro99 View Post
looking for some budget friendly headlights the stock ones suck as everyone knows i have a 96 xj let me know whats out there
Harness! My lamps were getting 9v when the ****ty factory harness was under load. No headlamp does well under those circumstances.

Do that first, then grab some autopal housings and decent H4 bulbs if you want more.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #7 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 08:53 PM
mschi772
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Racine
Posts: 3,341
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Harness! My lamps were getting 9v when the ****ty factory harness was under load. No headlamp does well under those circumstances.

Do that first, then grab some autopal housings and decent H4 bulbs if you want more.
9v at your lights is about 30% voltage drop which translates into something like 70-90% decrease in light output. That's just scary to think about. Voltage drop in the factory lighting is insane ESPECIALLY after 20+ years of aging wires and connectors. Relay harness is SOOOO important.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
mschi772 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 07-15-2017, 09:14 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post

9v at your lights is about 30% voltage drop which translates into something like 70-90% decrease in light output. That's just scary to think about. Voltage drop in the factory lighting is insane ESPECIALLY after 20+ years of aging wires and connectors. Relay harness is SOOOO important.
I was shocked when I measured. It explained a lot. Wish I hadnt lost the comparison picture of passenger harness vs driver's factory wiring on stock spec sealed beams. It was eye opening.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #9 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 11:00 AM
COMTB
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 799
I don't want to thread hijack but it is related. How hard is it to completely replace the factory wiring instead of an add-on harness? Does the factory wiring not get used anymore with the new H4 harness (except or the switch)?

1989 XJ Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
COMTB is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 AM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMTB View Post
I don't want to thread hijack but it is related. How hard is it to completely replace the factory wiring instead of an add-on harness? Does the factory wiring not get used anymore with the new H4 harness (except or the switch)?

WAY harder than makes any sense to do unless it's so badly damaged that you can't get a signal out to a relay harness. It's badly laid out, undergauged and between the dash and bay harnesses is wrapped up with about a billion other systems' wiring.

With an H4 add-on harness (bought or home made) the factory headlight circuit is still used, or at least the passenger side output is, but it only carries ~1 amp to activate the relays based on the factory dash/column switches.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #11 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
COMTB
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
WAY harder than makes any sense to do unless it's so badly damaged that you can't get a signal out to a relay harness. It's badly laid out, undergauged and between the dash and bay harnesses is wrapped up with about a billion other systems' wiring.

With an H4 add-on harness (bought or home made) the factory headlight circuit is still used, or at least the passenger side output is, but it only carries ~1 amp to activate the relays based on the factory dash/column switches.

Thanks! Harness ordered. My Passenger side high beams don't work because they pinched the existing harness in between the radiator and the radiator frame (mount? whatever it's called). I need to remove the rad to see what happened and repair the wires.

Thanks for your info as usual @bluejunior

1989 XJ Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
COMTB is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMTB View Post
Thanks! Harness ordered. My Passenger side high beams don't work because they pinched the existing harness in between the radiator and the radiator frame (mount? whatever it's called). I need to remove the rad to see what happened and repair the wires.

Thanks for your info as usual @bluejunior
No problem, and that shouldn't be too bad to fix. There'a a lot less in the harness that far forward, in fact if it split where I think it did it's just the three wire low/high/ground. take the battery out and you should have enough room to get an iron on it even in the bay. Worst case there's definitely enough room to slap in a patch wire and a couple crimp connectors, insulated ones last and there's no need for an ideal connection when you're just trying to trigger a relay.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #13 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 17
Garage
thank you every one for theyre suggestions looks like im gonna do a little electrical work can anyone give me a link too a good wiring harness
lazaro99 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro99 View Post
thank you every one for theyre suggestions looks like im gonna do a little electrical work can anyone give me a link too a good wiring harness
https://www.ebay.com/i/310881156715?...D1260372301250

That's the one I use. I had the more popular putco one, but had problems with the weird relays and connectors. The one above uses standard 5 pin relays that are easy to find and I haven't had any trouble with it. Plus it's about half the price!

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #15 of 20 Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 17
Garage
thank you
lazaro99 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome