Has anyone else tried these for XJ engine cooling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Has anyone else tried these for XJ engine cooling?

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
oldbitcollector

Has anyone else tried these for XJ engine cooling?

I'm considering the purchase of these hook/spacer risers to help keep my '00 XJ cool. Trying to aboid the dreaded head issue. (Looks like I'm clean so far).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RockStar4x4-...6b6d84&vxp=mtr

Has anyone else used these, or shall I continue shopping for hood vents?

Jeff

oldbitcollector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
CherokeeHybrid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would spend your money on making sure your cooling system is in good shape instead of buying those spacers. The spacers will only really help under hood temps, not coolant temps. I would upgrade your radiator if you want better cooling.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #3
oldbitcollector

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premiu...ype=automotive

I yanked the electric fan, (it was seazed up). I plan to replace it with in the next week or so as soon as it starts to warm up. Snow on the ground now.
oldbitcollector is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:24 PM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Hood vents will work better then spacers since they cover a larger area. I am able to hold my hand on my hood on a black rig after a day of crawling in the desert since I installed my vents. I've also noticed it runs about 10* cooler in the summer months. But upkeep on the cooling system helps a lot also. The vents do help move air through the engine bay at speed so they can make a difference in efficiency of the radiator
image-3823316193.jpg

image-4278864979.jpg

Unread 03-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Teej
Brandon <3's Alcohol

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Hood vents will work better then spacers since they cover a larger area. I am able to hold my hand on my hood on a black rig after a day of crawling in the desert since I installed my vents. I've also noticed it runs about 10* cooler in the summer months. But upkeep on the cooling system helps a lot also. The vents do help move air through the engine bay at speed so they can make a difference in efficiency of the radiator
Tom, which vents are these? I was considering doing hood vents and I really like the look of these ones.

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeejay
Tom, which vents are these? I was considering doing hood vents and I really like the look of these ones.
Napier precision. 11x14 They a designed to not let snow or water in. And fit over Lebaron vents if you already have them.
Unread 03-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #7
Teej
Brandon <3's Alcohol

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome. How tough is the install?

Instagram: @tj_chciuk

CoTM March 2014
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
martinfan
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbitcollector View Post
Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premiu...ype=automotive

I yanked the electric fan, (it was seazed up). I plan to replace it with in the next week or so as soon as it starts to warm up. Snow on the ground now.
Anyone order one of these? for 80 bucks as long as you get a new rad can't see where I could go wrong. Please any experience with this company would be appreciated. Sorry for Hijack
martinfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan View Post
Anyone order one of these? for 80 bucks as long as you get a new rad can't see where I could go wrong. Please any experience with this company would be appreciated. Sorry for Hijack
Has a good feedback rating towards the seller, but his first response to where it was made was "he had no clue" not really what I want to hear when I buy something, it looks like a standard plastic tank oem style like you can get from any auto part store, I know most around here recommend going with a brass or other radiator without the plastic tank as it's a weak spot for the future, if not manufactured well, but, even armed with all that info I still opted for the local parts store plastic tank radiator, its all my budget would allow, but, like when the guy who fell out of a 10 story building...people heard him saying as he passed their windows...so far so good!
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #10
martinfan
1985 CJ7 

Hey, thanks for the feed back. Thought I was looking at closer to $200 local called Napa $90 so I just pulled the trigger. Not building crazy off roader just my sons first jeep.
martinfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
Tom95YJ

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeeejay
Awesome. How tough is the install?
Hardest part was finding a tape measure and drilling 4 small holes for the screws
Unread 03-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan View Post
Hey, thanks for the feed back. Thought I was looking at closer to $200 local called Napa $90 so I just pulled the trigger. Not building crazy off roader just my sons first jeep.
That's what you think you poor soul. Welcome to jeeps. Its an incurable obsession. Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.