Hard starting? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Hard starting?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 07-01-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
lilseth0014
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hard starting?

My jeep take a few seconds to start in the morning and after sitting a while like in a parking lot or something. I just replaced the battery 2 days ago and nothing has changed.

Could there be a problem with my starter? Does a starter start to go bad or lose the power it once had? I replaced my altinator a few month ago so that should be fine?

My jeep does have 315,000 miles on it. Could the motor be dieing now!!! The jeep all in all drives fine and still has excilent power.

It is leaking oil from the valve cover and the oil pan and of course my rear main seal.

Should i replace the rear main seal now?

I also have a spare engine with around 27,000 miles on it or around there. When i go to put that one in should i do any clean up on that engine? Should i replace any gaskets or take anything apart and pressure wash anything? Is there any ways to check for good pressure or see if its worth putting in that engine?

Sorry that there is a lot of questions. Just thought i would throw all of them out there at once.

lilseth0014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
Willy36
1990 XJ Cherokee 

This belongs in Tech, not GD, but to answer your question, it is fairly likely that your fuel pump is the problem. XJ's are known to eat through fuel pumps like its their job, and it would cause a slow start but still run fine. It happened to my XJ. If your Jeep isn't going through oil too quickly, leaving the rear main seal shouldn't cause any harm.
Willy36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.