Had anyone spray painted their diff covers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Had anyone spray painted their diff covers?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-14-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Had anyone spray painted their diff covers?

I it a bad idea an do I have to take it off can I just wire wheel it and spray paint it and will it look crappy?

Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The paint on your dif cover is a higher quality product then anything you can get out of a spray can. Rather then wire-wheel it, sand or wire wheel only the rusty areas. Slightly rough up the sound paint surfaces with a scotch-brite pad. Clean the hell out of the cover before painting. A couple wash/rinse cycles with simple green followed by a wipe-down with mineral spirits(for rustolium)or lacquer thinner(for most any other enamel) then don't handle it with your bare hands.

Primer the bare metal areas(Rustolium standard or rusty metal primer works well) The remaining paint, roughed up to provide "tooth" will not require primer. Four to six coats of spray paint follow. 'Seems excessive, but spray paint is thinned a lot more then paint for a gun, and takes about twice as much to get the same build thickness.

The result should look fine, unless you use orange paint,.. or red,.. or yellow,.. or green,.. or any color but black or silver.
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

josh....were really gonna have to work on you posting all these useless threads.

come out to the shop on monday and we can talk jeeps all you want, ive painted my diff covers before, and am about to do it again, ill be more than happy to have you come over, and we knock it out together in a day.

cant wait to see the rig!

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #4
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
I it a bad idea an do I have to take it off can I just wire wheel it and spray paint it and will it look crappy?
1) Use a decent brand of rattlecan - I'm thinking Rust-Oleum Pro (it's what I use) or Krylon. Don't bother with "store brands" - they're not any damned good.

2) Degrease thoroughly. Inside and out.

3) You can strip it right down to bare metal - I do, but I'm cranky. If you go down to bare metal, you're definitely going to have to use a primer! If you just scuff up the surface (180-240 grit, one pass, and wipe down with a "tack cloth" - a clean rag dampened with denatured alcohol or acetone will do neatly) to remove sanding dust and fingerprints.

4) Allow the cover to dry thoroughly. This means 4-6 hours of curing time - or you can heat up your oven to about 200*F while the paint is tacking up. Look up the "dry to touch" time on the paint (typically a half-hour or so,) and that's about the time it goes into the oven. Leave it in for 30-45 minutes, the turn off the oven and open the door. You can point a fan into the oven to speed cooling, but I wouldn't take it out until you can handle it bare-handed. (not just touch it, but hold it. It will be about blood temperature - or lower - by then.)

5) Use washers under the screw heads when you put the cover back on, so you don't bugger up the paint.

I've painted my diff covers, because I get tired of flat black. I used Royal Blue - then used a brass plug, brass washers, and black oxide socket head capscrews - and it looked rather nice when I was done (wish I had pix - I ended up having to get rid of that truck. Damned City regs...) If you use a good paint - quality acrylic enamel, epoxy enamel, or maybe a two-part urethane enamel - there's no reason it won't come out fine.

Just remember that somewhere around 80-85% of a good paint job - especially spray painting! - is in the preparation...
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I painted one while it was on (front), and my rear I painted during a gear oil change, with it off and prepped nicely.
Both have been holding up very well. I had intentions on painting the front one again with proper prep work after I changed the front oil, (like a year later) but when I had the cover off and de-greased it, the paint looked great again so I didn't bother.

I used Rustoleum "industrial" safety red.
Degrease with acetone, scuff with sandpaper, wipe down again, and spray.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Agreed. Everytime I go on this forum at least 2 threads I click on are from this kid asking questions he could have easily searched.
lilnapsak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back_In_Black
josh....were really gonna have to work on you posting all these useless threads.

come out to the shop on monday and we can talk jeeps all you want, ive painted my diff covers before, and am about to do it again, ill be more than happy to have you come over, and we knock it out together in a day.

cant wait to see the rig!
Haha ok man sounds good what time do you want me to drop by? Just text me or something
Unread 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnapsak
Agreed. Everytime I go on this forum at least 2 threads I click on are from this kid asking questions he could have easily searched.
Ok and what if I want to ask my self there is plenty of people who will answer this as you can see to the questions I have but I will start searching allot more I do this on my phone so I haven't bothered with searching
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
Ok and what if I want to ask my self there is plenty of people who will answer this as you can see to the questions I have but I will start searching allot more I do this on my phone so I haven't bothered with searching
If you search you will get your obvious simple questions answered faster than waiting for people to reply to your silly questions.
Unread 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Durt_Diver
2005 LJ Wrangler 

lockers don't work unless you have Rubicon stickers
Durt_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If you search you will get your obvious simple questions answered faster than waiting for people to reply to your silly questions.
It's working fine to me I have what I need to know I'm kinda new to jf so i will start searching
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I stripped mine to bare metal, cleaned them thouroughly with paint thinner, applied a couple of coats of self-etching primer, then used several light coats of rustoleum engine enamel and they have held up fine. My cherokee was done a few years ago and still looks good when I clean off the dirt.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever

I stripped mine to bare metal, cleaned them thouroughly with paint thinner, applied a couple of coats of self-etching primer, then used several light coats of rustoleum engine enamel and they have held up fine. My cherokee was done a few years ago and still looks good when I clean off the dirt.
The silver looks really good nice job
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #14
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hey do what you want I don't care haha. Just saying searching is more successfull 90% of the time.
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #15
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hey do what you want I don't care haha. Just saying searching is more successfull 90% of the time.
Alright man thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.