Grille Paint Color - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Grille Paint Color

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
AdL33
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Grille Paint Color

I'm looking to paint my grille and headlight bezels black. I'm not sure if I want to do a satin color or semi-gloss. Does anyone have any pictures of their grilles that they painted black, and what black you used?

AdL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

IMO the grills looks amazing when they match the jeep itself, however Flat Black always looks great! Post pics of yours so we can help you out some more.
Texsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
AdL33
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texsun View Post
IMO the grills looks amazing when they match the jeep itself, however Flat Black always looks great! Post pics of yours so we can help you out some more.
Here's the front end. I'm going to be fixing under the right headlight where there is some paint peeling, and just wanted to make the grille and bezels black while they are off. Idk I just wanted to try it different to break up the red. I don't have any black anywhere on the jeep except the grille inserts and my gunmetal wheels. I also want to tint the turn signals and side markers which I think will look good with the black grille and headlight bezels.
image-2.jpg  
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think Flat Black would look great! Do you have factory wheels or do you have soft 8s in black?
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
AdL33
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I think Flat Black would look great! Do you have factory wheels or do you have soft 8s in black?
I'm just worried that with flat black, it's harder to keep clean. Is satin more glossy then flat black but not as glossy as semi-gloss? And I have stock rims that I painted gunmetal color, and I swapped the center caps to the ones they use on liberties and wranglers.

Unread 06-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
Texsun
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You can always put a semi gloss cover on the flat black. I think in your situation gloss black would look great!
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
AdL33
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You can always put a semi gloss cover on the flat black. I think in your situation gloss black would look great!
Thanks, I will most likely do semi-gloss.
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Camo Deere
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do gunmetal, semi-gloss.
Camo Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
AdL33
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo Deere View Post
Do gunmetal, semi-gloss.
Hmm, there's an idea. Great, now I don't know if I want to do gunmetal like wheels, or black....
Unread 06-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Pre-97 I'd always do the whole thing black. I've always used a semi-flat. For 97+ I'd only do the inserts between the slots and keep the rest the same color as the Jeep. When the entire thing is a different color it looks goofy to me because it makes it all look to small for the vehicle. Almost looks like someone cut out a hole in the front and put in a front end from a smaller vehicle or something.
Unread 06-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
AdL33
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a quick mock-up I did of a somewhat gunmetal type color, which matches the wheels. Not sure now if I want to go black or gunmetal. Either way I'm going to also tint the turn signals and side markers.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.