Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gotta rebuild my engine. Should I wait and stroke it or rebuild it to stock specs.

4K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Rural-Assault 
#1 ·
I don't have enough money to stroke my stock 4.0 right now, and it needs rebuilt. I don't have another daily driver but I have vehicles I could borrow to get to and from work. Should I wait and save up for the parts to do a 4.6L? If the gains from stroking it aren't significant I'd like to just get the Heep back on the road/trail. Is it really worth the extra costs?

#2 ·
If i remember correctly at least 50 hp more with the 4.6 or close to it. sounds worth it to me ;D

Problem is.... in your scenario i would just rebuild it, find a blown engine for cheaps on craigslist and stroke that.

#4 ·
How bad does it need a rebuild? Is it just worn out, like does it still run but burn a lot of oil? Or does it have a bad knock and waiting could result in a rod through the block?

If its really bad, then I would just rebuild it and not stroke it. It takes a decent amount of money to build a stroker, and you have to know what you're doing. This is one of those do it right or not at all situations.

Sometimes my motor makes some strange ticks, and if it went tomorrow, I'd probably just rebuild it. My college budget and the fact that I need it everyday to get to school would limit the time and money I'd have.

#5 ·
I would stroke it.

But it depends on how long it would take you to get the money to stroke it really. And what is wrong with it currently it. If its still drivable, drive it, lol.

#6 ·
just a rebuild. This from a guy who can't stop modding everything he owns.
Its a DD. Keep it stock. I keep finding that once you start modding you are perpetually $100 from being "done"

Stay conservative on a DD driveline wise.

#7 ·
I would stroke it. A "JY stroke" can be done for not much more than a "refresh" rebuild. Why end up doing it twice if you want to eventually stroke the motor.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Thanks all. Sounds like the best bet for me is to just do a rebuild. I think I'll go with the kit cornbrizzle linked to above.

My engine is knocking pretty bad and has been for awhile now. It's to the point that I don't want to drive it at all until it's rebuilt so that I don't end up destroying the block. It also has 233,000 miles on it. I'll have to continue borrowing a vehicle or hitching rides until I get the money for the rebuild kit and machine work. The XJ is my DD until I get a new pickup, at which point the XJ will be more of a hobby/project truck.

#13 ·
I went through a similar situation. The motor in my 98 was worn out, high miles and rusty, but still running. I went to the junkyard and bought a used motor out of a 99. I ordered the parts to rebuild the junkyard motor, and it took me about a week to get it all together. It took me 2 days to swap the motors. I did it this way because it's my DD and and I couldn't have any downtime. Ultimatley, she was only down for 2 days during the swap. Now I can sell all of the good parts off of my old motor and make most of my money back. :highfive:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.