Got my first Jeep finaly. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Got my first Jeep finaly.

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
slapstick
1997 ZJ 

Got my first Jeep finaly.

So over the weekend I wrote the check for my first Jeep. Got a steal on it. It's a 92 sport (yes it's friggin 2wd). Had the motor rebuilt about a hundred ago and I have known the past two owners and know the whole history on the vehicle and all that good stuff. I went to pick it up knowing I had to put a serp belt on it before I could drive it away. Got there threw the belt on and when it was turning over it was making a hellacious clunking/ticking sound. So I took the belt off and sure enough the water pump is wobbling so I gotta get a new pump and throw that on tomorrow and figure out why it's not starting (I'm thinking gas because it has sat for a while). Other that that it's nice for 700 bucks.

The body is straight other than a small dent I kicked in the door years ago.

Pictures will be coming as soon as I get off my *** and go buy a memory card for my camera.

Immediate plans are:
-full interior detail
-re-tinting windows
-OD green paint job along with black wheel paint
-new stereo and put in my spare pioneer speakers laying around

Future plans(assuming I hold onto it and after I buy a new DD):
-2-3"BB with cheap-o tires
-eventually 4x4 conversion just because I love projects with a good challenge and great reward
-not much else other than maybe some flares or bumpers or something for aesthetics.

This is a DD I'm not looking to make it into anything extreme just something that will look good and drive.

I'll try to have pics up by the end of the week.

-Gavin

slapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
coors400

good to hear and just to give you a heads up a 4x4 conversion is very easy on the 2x4 everything will bolt right in no major modifications need to be done
coors400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
Super6XJ
2004 WJ 

yup. right now i am lookin for parts to make my XJ 4x4... i just might buy some lockers To hold me for a while.
and my Xj needs engine rebuilt.
and other then that its ok.
and gonna go with Olive Drab.. not bad.. may i recoment the doors to be off..

mine are and it makes it look even better With OD..
;D

but good luck finding 4x4 parts for cheap..
i found a 84 XJ and the full 4x4 is still in it but the transmission wonk work with
4.0.... it has a 2.8 v6...
do you think i should buy it for the transfer case and the Front drive shaft & Axel.??

But XJ rock!
Super6XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
coors400

how much do they want for the 84? you can get a front axle for cheep and the tranny and transfercase couldnt be that hard to get either
Unread 07-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
slapstick
1997 ZJ 

Yeah my plan is to rock the doors off as much as I can.

I am waiting on freeing up some funds elsewhere right now so that I can buy a GSX eclipse to make into a quick daily driver. Once I have it and get it running the the Jeep will be getting the front end put in.

I've been looking around for a write up on the conversion and have had a hard time coming up with the right stuff. I have looked at Davey's just to see what they have but I need to know what year axles and trans and all that good stuff I can use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Gavin
97 ZJ new project
Unread 07-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
coors400

think your want to look at a 97+ front axle tranny and transefercase i'm not to sure about
Unread 07-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #7
slapstick
1997 ZJ 

On a 92? I feel like there should be some sort of change to OBD2.

You guys have to realize I'm just getting into Jeeps and I have spent all the years of my life messing with imports and doing axle swaps to me means a whole other world.

-Gavin
97 ZJ new project
Unread 07-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
coors400

in an xj there all pretty much the same they didnt do much changing around from 84 - 01 most everything will bolt into anything else your 2wd conversion to 4wd is as easy as unbolting your 2wd axle and putting in the new one as far as i understand. if you ever have a chance to look at a 4wd in a parking lot just take a look underneath of yours and the other one
Unread 07-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
slapstick
1997 ZJ 

Right on man thanks for the info.

Does anyone have a link to a write up maybe so I can see a step by step to make sure I don't forget anything. The work amount doesn't matter to me I have spent enough time behind a wrench professionally. I'm just getting anxious to get started on working this lil XJ over and be able to hang out with my friends who mud and not be the guy that drives a Honduh anymore.

-Gavin
97 ZJ new project
Unread 07-14-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i could of sold you a 4x4 90-91 with 5" lift in rear and 3 in the front on new 31's for 800 runs nice too better then my built cherokee

"who needs paved roads when u have a jeep"

87 xj 6" long arm lift, 35's, 4.88 yukon gears, front detroit true trac

colorado jeep club member # 74
wojtizzlator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
hxcjohnny
2002 WJ 

The biggest project I see in this thread is making that gsx a reliable DD! having worked on my buddy's awd tsi, I know what kind headaches you've got coming to ya
Unread 07-14-2008, 11:16 AM   #12
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

screw dsm's i hate em. so my brother s jeep got towed i went to go take him there and the damn clutch went out. what i would do with that tsi is throw it away or give it to someone

Unread 07-14-2008, 03:35 PM   #13
slapstick
1997 ZJ 

Well if you know what your doing and you maintain it a DSM can be a very reliable DD. The trick is keep it stock and don't beat on it. But if you must make it fast then it's all in how you tune it. A nice fat tune will typically be good and most of the time you should use quality parts. My only plans are exhaust, home made air box, boost controller and suspension. And I will be flashing the ECU with DSMLINK nothing special just like a low 14 high 13 car.

But the Yeep is priority!!!!

-Gavin
97 ZJ new project
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

mine is stock actually! i just hate idk of any dsm that hasnt broke down bad

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.