Good buy or stay away? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Good buy or stay away?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 02-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
offroadoverload
2004 WJ 

Good buy or stay away?

I'm currently looking for a new vehicle for my girlfriend she is dead set on getting herself a Xj which I love but have no experience with. She is looking to spend around $2500 and has found a 98 Cherokee sport 4.0 with 180k miles asking price $1800 my question is it a good deal or is the mileage to high? also what mechanical issues do you often run into with this vehicle?
The car has no rust and I don't see any visible leaks no codes show up on the scanner. Would you buy?

offroadoverload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #2
aroundincircles
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I would take it to a mechanic, and have them do a once over on it before you buy it as part of the buying process. Price and miles seem about right, but you have to remember you're buying a 17 year old car, not a brand new car. and with used cars its all about how the previous owner cared and maintained them. Also, people typically sell an old car when it has become too much of a hassle to deal with, so there is SOMETHING wrong with the car... Could be minor, could be major. If you can talk them down to 1500, that would give her a thousand bucks to do a lot of repairs on it. Not a bad thing to budget when buying used.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hard to answer if I'd buy it without seeing it, driving it... you know, some first hand knowledge of said vehicle... but, for a rust free XJ with only 180k, its not a bad price, IMO. There's plenty of threads about common xj problems, from sagging leaf springs to goofy electrical problems, so just expect to put some $$$ in to it, but if you have proof of basic maintenance, then I wouldn't be scared of the 180k on these 4.0 engines. Take care of them, and they can easily get you close to 300K, but it all comes down to how well it was taken care of before it got in your hands. Regular fluid changes, etc...
Unread 02-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
offroadoverload
2004 WJ 

Thanks guys her father is a mechanic so she wont have to deal with labor fees but unfortunately he cant come see the car this weekend and a few potential buyers are interested. In our area this seems to be the best deal so we will most likely be going through with it.
offroadoverload is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My girlfriend doesn't like my XJ.

Sent from my phone.
Unread 02-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post

Sent from my phone.
Maybe don't get your XJ a Valentines gift next year
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadoverload View Post
I'm currently looking for a new vehicle for my girlfriend she is dead set on getting herself a Xj which I love but have no experience with. She is looking to spend around $2500 and has found a 98 Cherokee sport 4.0 with 180k miles asking price $1800 my question is it a good deal or is the mileage to high? also what mechanical issues do you often run into with this vehicle?
The car has no rust and I don't see any visible leaks no codes show up on the scanner. Would you buy?
Since we don't know where you live, you'll have to check prices yourself at Edmunds.com or nada.com (kbb.com is biased towards dealers IMHO).

Try to see the Jeep in the morning, and ask the seller to NOT warm it up.
See how it starts. See how long it takes to warm up and if the heater works. See if the transmission shifts properly when cold. Find a dirt lot and drive in 4WD (hi and low). Ask if he changed any fluids recently. Trans fluid should not be dark and should not smell burnt. Check the inside of the hood for whitish residue, indicating a coolant leak. Check the passenger side foot well for evidence of damp carpet...

Expect to want to replace all of the hoses, belts, and fluids (differentials, engine, trans, T-case), hit all the grease fittings, and possibly the normal tune up stuff.

I've rambled on long enough. Hope you get it!
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:

Sent from my phone.
You mean your ex girlfriend didn't like your XJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #9
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You know what to do.

FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #10
cheftrail

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
You mean your ex girlfriend didn't like your XJ.
You mean your XJ doesn't like your girlfriend
Unread 02-14-2015, 02:10 PM   #11
JeepxjLife

Buy it I have had two xj's now one old beater I pulled out of a bush got it to run with minimal work was about 2000 into the jeep made it to 422000km before I sold it for 600 bucks do to rust and my new one a 92 270000km on it and I'm not worried about a thing I love my xj's great jeeps
JeepxjLife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.