Good Buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Good Buy?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
MJ14
1997 ZJ 

Good Buy? Help Me Choose One!

I've been going back and forth between what vehicle I want to buy recently and I've finally decided to go with an older Jeep. I have a Mustang and I was planning to sell it and get a newer Jeep, but the only reason I want a Jeep is for the winter and any off-road driving I do. With that said, I've decided to keep my mustang and get an older Jeep. By older I mean an XJ. So, I've been looking in my area and I think I found one that I like. Truth be told though, I don't know a lot about XJs. My last Jeep was a ZJ that I had a lot of problems with(though I knew I would have going in). My hope this time is I get something a little more reliable, but not a daily driver. Though, I want to be able to take it on trips as well(like 8 hours max in the winter). So with all that said, I think I have three options right now. So here they are:

2000 Red, Automatic, 107,000 miles, had a new engine put in @75,000 miles. Priced at $3000.

2001 Blue, Automatic, 128,000 miles. Priced at $3,100.

1999 White, Automatic, 143,000 miles. Priced at $3,5000

All of them have aftermarket radios. All are equally as clean on the inside. All have working 4x4. If I were to get one of the bottom two, I would want a 3" lift and different tires which obviously is going to put me at paying a little more. I would probably have to wait on the lift for the bottom two right now though because I don't know that I could put the money into a lift and tires right now.

So what do you guys think? The red one has a custom front and back bumper, I'm not sure I like the front bumper on the red one. How hard would it be to remove? The red one is obviously lifted, but I'm not sure how much. Any guesses on how much lift and tire size? To be honest, the red is probably my favorite, but is it sensible for some possible highway driving in the winter? Maybe like two trips total a year 5 - 8 hours one way for a week/weekend? What should I be looking for as far as things wrong with it? I'm guessing the red one has been wheeled.

MJ14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

If he had to rebuild at 75k ,files he did not treat I his jeep well at all. The 99 would be better because I believe they didn't have thge manifold that wasn't easy to crack.

College Student in Genetics, Jeeper and musician

- Build Thread -
DunmerBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
MJ14
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunmerBoy View Post
If he had to rebuild at 75k ,files he did not treat I his jeep well at all. The 99 would be better because I believe they didn't have thge manifold that wasn't easy to crack.
Yeah my worry with an already built one would be how well it's taken care of. And as you point out, an engine replacement at 75,000 miles certainly doesn't seem to help the cause.
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ14 View Post

Yeah my worry with an already built one would be how well it's taken care of. And as you point out, an engine replacement at 75,000 miles certainly doesn't seem to help the cause.
Plus building your own is more fun ie starting from scratch

- Build Thread -
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Might have had an overheat, and cracked a head. Happens to even the best owners.
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy
Might have had an overheat, and cracked a head. Happens to even the best owners.
He's got it priced really low too. Idk seems like a bad idea

- Build Thread -
Unread 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
MJ14
1997 ZJ 

Well the decision is a bit easier now as I've learned that the red one was sold over the weekend. I found another one that has 220,000 miles that's priced at $2000. Pretty much stock other than black wheels and different tires. For 1,000 more is it worth it to get something with 100,000 less miles?
Unread 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
DunmerBoy
eXJpedition

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ14
Well the decision is a bit easier now as I've learned that the red one was sold over the weekend. I found another one that has 220,000 miles that's priced at $2000. Pretty much stock other than black wheels and different tires. For 1,000 more is it worth it to get something with 100,000 less miles?
At that price I'd say so

- Build Thread -
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hard to say with XJ blocks pushing 750K out there, and AW4s pushing 500K
Unread 10-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
XJWren
1994 XJ Cherokee 

i see lock hubs on the red one i would be all over that!
XJWren is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.