Going doorless: yay or nay? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Going doorless: yay or nay?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #46
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ

Re-read my comment. I said on a DD. If it's a trail rig who cares, but if it's a DD you have the possibility of getting into a far more serious accident, in which case the doors are important.
So wranglers are dumb also?

Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #47
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshharris98xj View Post
They come off just as easy if you "skip" that hole on the body and just go around the kick panel. All you do is weld the pins in place so when you take them off you pull and lift. Pretty simple if you ask me.
I don't understand what your saying.. I did modify mine to just pull the doors off. What do you mean by going around the kick panel?

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #48
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93

I don't understand what your saying.. I did modify mine to just pull the doors off. What do you mean by going around the kick panel?
Don't go through the "body hole" skip it. Leave the kick panel off, clean up wiring if your picky like that, and that way you don't have to feed them through.
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #49
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Don't go through the "body hole" skip it. Leave the kick panel off, clean up wiring if your picky like that, and that way you don't have to feed them through.
You are going to have to post a pic.. I still don't follow.

OffroadSC
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #50
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

You are going to have to post a pic.. I still don't follow.
Ignore how messy the wiring is I haven't gotten around to cleaning it up. I plan on ditching the boot and trimming the kick panel to put it back in so I can still access the wiring
image-188320281.jpg  
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #51
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Ignore how messy the wiring is I haven't gotten around to cleaning it up
It doesn't pinch the wires?

OffroadSC
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #52
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

It doesn't pinch the wires?
No that's weather stripping it doesent hurt them at all infact feeding them through the body so much was cutting in to them so I did this.
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:58 AM   #53
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So wranglers are dumb also?
Actually yes.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

HELL YES to Doorless
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #55
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Glad I don't have long arms. Good try, idiot.

Taking doors off a DD is stupid, even stupider considering it's a unibody.
Sorry, a 6.5" short-arm lift is much better

And I'm pretty sure people with DD's don't take the doors off and throw them in the garbage. Half of this thread is now how to make them reattach properly. You've said your opinion, and really don't have much more to add to the thread except refuting every person that doesn't agree with you.

My advice is don't half-*** the door removal mod because you will eventually f*ck up the doors like I did. 5/16" pins don't work if you want to remove the doors more than once, unless you like replacing those little bushings every single time. Bushings aren't necessary, but properly drilled holes and lined up hinges are. 3 out of 4 doors on my Jeep are easily removable and close exactly like factory with zero sagging over a couple years (now that I fixed them with 3/8" pins). The last door is an exception because I'm pretty sure I tweaked the a-pillar and nothing can be done to fix it.
Unread 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #56
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have been doorless 24/7 for 3+ years now and LOVE IT!!!
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #57
mountainjock

1988 XJ Cherokee 

I thought about going doorless, but then I pictured my wife in the passenger seat at 10,000 feet on some pass in a rain storm and thought better of it. I vote NAY.
4.0 I6
mountainjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #58
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjock
I thought about going doorless, but then I pictured my wife in the passenger seat at 10,000 feet on some pass in a rain storm and thought better of it. I vote NAY.
Plan ahead and look at weather forecasts? Bring a rain jacket? That's a lame excuse to stop you from even trying it. That will rarely happen.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #59
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wait, WTF? I wasn't going to post in this thread, but it is so full of retarded that I can't help myself. First, to stay on topic, its OK to take your doors off. On a DD, it's going to suck if you have a 98+ and it's your DD because they will sag. I take my doors off for the sole reason that it is much more easier to see what is going on while I am wheeling. As far as the unibody twisting, taco-ing, whatever you think might happen....are you serious? This has been covered in a billionty other threads on nearly every other forum and there are enough people wheeling the ***** out of stuff to show that the doors have little effect on the structure of the unibody. However, they will help in a crash, but those are T totally difference forces. I and my friends have wheeled and jumped a few XJ's hard with no doors or frame stiffeners, or anything to beef up the unibody by any means and if they are not straight, it's not noticeable.

As far as the IRO long arms, if you can't tell why they suck on your own, then I am sorry. It's far from what I would consider a true "3 link" and there is a reason other companies out there don't run a stock sized bolt on the ONLY upper link and that dumb caster adjustment bracket. Yes, I have experience with the kit. I have a friend that has one on his rig. It scares the hell out of me. I can't even imagine why people won't throw an extra $100 bucks at a quality, TRUE 3 link that runs a larger bolt on the upper link like the Rock Krawler kit. It is very close in comparison to the Poly Performance kit. Notice how I said close. Poly still has a better kit, but I'd run Rock Krawler on a budget.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #60
YJeeper89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95
Wait, WTF? I wasn't going to post in this thread, but it is so full of retarded that I can't help myself. First, to stay on topic, its OK to take your doors off. On a DD, it's going to suck if you have a 98+ and it's your DD because they will sag. I take my doors off for the sole reason that it is much more easier to see what is going on while I am wheeling. As far as the unibody twisting, taco-ing, whatever you think might happen....are you serious? This has been covered in a billionty other threads on nearly every other forum and there are enough people wheeling the ***** out of stuff to show that the doors have little effect on the structure of the unibody. However, they will help in a crash, but those are T totally difference forces. I and my friends have wheeled and jumped a few XJ's hard with no doors or frame stiffeners, or anything to beef up the unibody by any means and if they are not straight, it's not noticeable.

As far as the IRO long arms, if you can't tell why they suck on your own, then I am sorry. It's far from what I would consider a true "3 link" and there is a reason other companies out there don't run a stock sized bolt on the ONLY upper link and that dumb caster adjustment bracket. Yes, I have experience with the kit. I have a friend that has one on his rig. It scares the hell out of me. I can't even imagine why people won't throw an extra $100 bucks at a quality, TRUE 3 link that runs a larger bolt on the upper link like the Rock Krawler kit. It is very close in comparison to the Poly Performance kit. Notice how I said close. Poly still has a better kit, but I'd run Rock Krawler on a budget.
Thank You!

[QUOTE=Necromancer_tat;11926317]Don't hate on 16 year olds with 3 inch body lifts and 31's, they're out having the time of their life in their Jeeps![/QUOTE]
YJeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.