Going doorless: yay or nay? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Going doorless: yay or nay?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 04-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #31
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post

Just cheap IMO. A lot like RC, now granted I run some RC parts but Im in the process of replacing it. Good to get you started but anything past that crap.
Uh, I would put the iron rock arms way ahead of rc. The arms and joints are much stronger than anything rc has out

2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #32
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
Uh, I would put the iron rock arms way ahead of rc. The arms and joints are much stronger than anything rc has out
ok..

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #33
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Just cheap IMO. A lot like RC, now granted I run some RC parts but Im in the process of replacing it. Good to get you started but anything past that crap.
Have you actually run anything IRO?
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #34
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
Have you actually run anything IRO?
No but know a few people who do.

OffroadSC
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #35
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

No but know a few people who do.
And I'm sure they all hate it right?
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #36
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
And I'm sure they all hate it right?
They are like me and RC. They don't hate it but it could be better.

OffroadSC
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ

Glad I don't have long arms. Good try, idiot.

Taking doors off a DD is stupid, even stupider considering it's a unibody.
The doors are not structural on an XJ. Only the hatch
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #38
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805 View Post
The doors are not structural on an XJ. Only the hatch
Re-read my comment. I said on a DD. If it's a trail rig who cares, but if it's a DD you have the possibility of getting into a far more serious accident, in which case the doors are important.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #39
YJeeper89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Im confused. When you say drill out to 3/8: is this drilling out where the torx bolts thread into the door and using another bolt such as stainless? Or is this referring to drilling out the hinges themselves to fit in a bigger pin for reattaching them? Im sort of understanding, and i've read through some writeups but this is the part where im still questioning

[QUOTE=Necromancer_tat;11926317]Don't hate on 16 year olds with 3 inch body lifts and 31's, they're out having the time of their life in their Jeeps![/QUOTE]
YJeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJeeper89
Im confused. When you say drill out to 3/8: is this drilling out where the torx bolts thread into the door and using another bolt such as stainless? Or is this referring to drilling out the hinges themselves to fit in a bigger pin for reattaching them? Im sort of understanding, and i've read through some writeups but this is the part where im still questioning
The second. The torx bolts should be left untouched so your door will always fit like it did from the factory (in theory)
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #41
YJeeper89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelo805

The second. The torx bolts should be left untouched so your door will always fit like it did from the factory (in theory)
Ok thank you, definitely not gonna be doorless for jeepbeach since im short of time and tools but will look into doing it in the summer

[QUOTE=Necromancer_tat;11926317]Don't hate on 16 year olds with 3 inch body lifts and 31's, they're out having the time of their life in their Jeeps![/QUOTE]
YJeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #42
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

One time I took my doors off my DD. My XJ taco'd, but not before murdering my family in the night. Never forget.
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #43
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
One time I took my doors off my DD. My XJ taco'd, but not before murdering my family in the night. Never forget.
I thought it was just me
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #44
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93
I've converted my front doors to go doorless. My driver side door drops down maybe 1/8th of an inch when I open it but because the latch aligns itself when I go to close it, it don't bother me. My only issue with the whole "doorless mod" is the PITA it is to get them off, especially if they are full power doors like mine. Unplugging the harness and fighting it in and out of the hole in the A-piller is just not worth it most of the time. Now in the OP's case, yeah Id go through that hassle to take them off for an event like JeepBeach but any other nice day? Nah I'll just deal with my windows down or driving my dad's TJ if he ain't using it. I only did this mod because I was bored one day and figured what the heck!? But to answer your question I'd say go for it!
They come off just as easy if you "skip" that hole on the body and just go around the kick panel. All you do is weld the pins in place so when you take them off you pull and lift. Pretty simple if you ask me.
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #45
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn

So are snorkels and IRO critical path longarms.

Look for EricsXJ's build thread, he's got a good writeup on door removal. I think FitchVA has one too. I've posted many pics of my hinge mods in these threads, but I'm tired of doing it, so just do a quick search and you'll find them.

To the guys who just deal with the sag, I did that for a while until the door skin around the latch ripped and I couldn't open my door anymore.

Drill out the hinges, use 3/8" bolts for pins and it makes everything a ton easier. With one connector, I can take my rear doors off in 30 seconds. The fronts take a bit longer, but only because some of the plugs are a ***** to unplug.
I cut the tabs off so you just pull
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.