Going doorless: yay or nay? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Going doorless: yay or nay?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #16
YJeeper89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So just to get this straight, im going to unplug all the wires for the power in the doors, unhelp the helper, then use a dremel to cut at the hinge pins and then use some sort of crowbar to pry them out and then lift the door away correct? And then drill out the hinges to 3/8 and use a quick pin? I've decided to go doorless for jeepbeach, only two days left! Just trying to clear things up to smooth the process

[QUOTE=Necromancer_tat;11926317]Don't hate on 16 year olds with 3 inch body lifts and 31's, they're out having the time of their life in their Jeeps![/QUOTE]
YJeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Half doors or full doors. Doorless XJs are dumb.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #18
SFRautomotive
#WannaBeRockBouncer

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFJ View Post
You're dumb!!!
2013 COTY
SFRautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFRautomotive View Post
You're dumb!!!
Welp, you beat me.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #20
Joshharris98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJeeper89
So just to get this straight, im going to unplug all the wires for the power in the doors, unhelp the helper, then use a dremel to cut at the hinge pins and then use some sort of crowbar to pry them out and then lift the door away correct? And then drill out the hinges to 3/8 and use a quick pin? I've decided to go doorless for jeepbeach, only two days left! Just trying to clear things up to smooth the process
Yes look at the write up on google like I said. The only thing you will change from that one is you drill and use 3/8.
Joshharris98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #21
Steelo805
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looks a lot better on 2 door xjs. 4 doors look especially bad with only the fronts removed.
Steelo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've converted my front doors to go doorless. My driver side door drops down maybe 1/8th of an inch when I open it but because the latch aligns itself when I go to close it, it don't bother me. My only issue with the whole "doorless mod" is the PITA it is to get them off, especially if they are full power doors like mine. Unplugging the harness and fighting it in and out of the hole in the A-piller is just not worth it most of the time. Now in the OP's case, yeah Id go through that hassle to take them off for an event like JeepBeach but any other nice day? Nah I'll just deal with my windows down or driving my dad's TJ if he ain't using it. I only did this mod because I was bored one day and figured what the heck!? But to answer your question I'd say go for it!

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #23
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJeeper89 View Post
I found a jack of some sort makes popping the doors off a lot easier the first time. They can be kind of a pain to get off the first time since they've been in there for so long.

An air hammer helps a lot too if you have one or access to one.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:52 AM   #24
YJeeper89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My question is: wouldnt it make since to just hit the top of the pin off with a chisel or a tool alike, then hammer the rest through the bottom instead of using a dremel in the center of the pin?

[QUOTE=Necromancer_tat;11926317]Don't hate on 16 year olds with 3 inch body lifts and 31's, they're out having the time of their life in their Jeeps![/QUOTE]
YJeeper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:52 AM   #25
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
So are snorkels and IRO critical path longarms.

Look for EricsXJ's build thread, he's got a good writeup on door removal. I think FitchVA has one too. I've posted many pics of my hinge mods in these threads, but I'm tired of doing it, so just do a quick search and you'll find them.

To the guys who just deal with the sag, I did that for a while until the door skin around the latch ripped and I couldn't open my door anymore.

Drill out the hinges, use 3/8" bolts for pins and it makes everything a ton easier. With one connector, I can take my rear doors off in 30 seconds. The fronts take a bit longer, but only because some of the plugs are a ***** to unplug.
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #26
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm probably going to convert mine to 3/8s bolts soon.

OffroadSC
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #27
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
So are snorkels and IRO critical path longarms.

Look for EricsXJ's build thread, he's got a good writeup on door removal. I think FitchVA has one too. I've posted many pics of my hinge mods in these threads, but I'm tired of doing it, so just do a quick search and you'll find them.

To the guys who just deal with the sag, I did that for a while until the door skin around the latch ripped and I couldn't open my door anymore.

Drill out the hinges, use 3/8" bolts for pins and it makes everything a ton easier. With one connector, I can take my rear doors off in 30 seconds. The fronts take a bit longer, but only because some of the plugs are a ***** to unplug.
Glad I don't have long arms. Good try, idiot.

Taking doors off a DD is stupid, even stupider considering it's a unibody.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Glad I don't have long arms. Good try, idiot.

Taking doors off a DD is stupid, even stupider considering it's a unibody.
IRO is still stupid...

The Unibody is strong enough to run a XJ doorless as long as you're not driving it like a race car or getting real flexy with it, I drove mine doorless without stiffeners for a while and had no problems.

OffroadSC
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #29
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockdrummer93 View Post
IRO is still stupid...

The Unibody is strong enough to run a XJ doorless as long as you're not driving it like a race car or getting real flexy with it, I drove mine doorless without stiffeners for a while and had no problems.
Lol, exactly.

Also, please inform me why IRO is stupid, this should be good.
Built Not Bought #704
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #30
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Lol, exactly.

Also, please inform me why IRO is stupid, this should be good.
Just cheap IMO. A lot like RC, now granted I run some RC parts but Im in the process of replacing it. Good to get you started but anything past that crap.

OffroadSC

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.