Go stock to..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Go stock to..?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Go stock to..?

Alright guys. Heres the deal, if you had a stock jeep and it happened to be your daily driver but wanted to hit some trails and not bash your dif what would you go with?? lol..

Im riding on some 235/75 R15s(rub when turned all the way) right now, their needing replaced before hunting season for sure and i wana do a little something somethin to the jeep here very soon. Back shocks leaking so at the same time thinking of a little lift for some clearence ect...

This is my first 4x4 ya laugh its ok. Anyways im not trying to make my dad right when he said im gonna dump money into a perfectly good jeep and mess it up so ill ask you guys/gals. Ive been looking at say a 3" lift theirs some good prices for 3" lifted coil springs, lower control arms, and sway-bar drop brackets, add a leafs and 4 shocks... only 350$... is that a descent path or am i gonna hate myself when i haveto replace it soon lol.

Thanks for any good bad or bashs i get. All will help

dave95_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

if you want to do it once, and right. get new leaf packs, not add a leafs. just like anything else, you get what you pay for, generally. for a mild wheeler/DD i would look at OME.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

honestly, (and i can't believe I'm about to say this) I would run a spacer up front (1.75" lift) and in the rear find some s10 leafs locally and make a "bastard pack". If you're not sure of what a bastard pack is, do a search. Basically, you stack leafs under your stock XJ main leaf until you get the desired lift height. If you do a Add-A-Leaf, you are going to be replacing it in 6 months. For tires, go with a AT in a 30x9.5... Gas isn't getting any cheaper. Also, If you are going to wheel it, invest in some skids and diff protection.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok great start thanks... im probably not experienced enough to fashion myself my own pack... i guess youtube and google or these forums could get me through it though. Why would you say chevy s10s though lol... least i got a descent answer on the add a leafs though... i almost went with this weird weird 1.5" lift but i couldnt fit anything under the fenders with that. I just need the most descent thing to give me a little more clearence, whatever that may be. Its the best time to upgrade i need new shocks and tires so either go a little bigger or stay stock...

To be or not to be that is a damn good question haha.
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I would start out with the budget booster pucks in the front and shackles in the back for 2 inches of lift, then go from there
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
samuraisavr
2003 TJ Wrangler 

you don't need to use s10 leafs. you can use any 2.5 inch wide leaf spring that was originally in a spring under fashion. A shackle is going to wear you already weak leafs out that much quicker. As for keeping it stock, that'd be up to you. I think a small lift and some all terrain tires look good on an XJ. Research bastard packs. Its that or OME light duty full packs. Big money. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'll help where I can.
Pocket
samuraisavr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
01xjmn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2inch zone budget lift that came with coil spacers shocks and an aal. I ditched the aal because It rode horible and I bought ome medium duty leafs , the ome leafs give you a little more than 2 inches of lift in the rear but, It rides awsome
01xjmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
Crazystang89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Check out my Jeep. It's basically exactly what you're looking for. And with the front sway bar disconnected, it has been nothing but suprising about where it can go.

[quote=BeepBeepGoJeep;9666698]LOL heres how I see it....arguing over the internet is like being in the special olympics....even if you win you're still retarded.[/quote]
Crazystang89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'd have to say a 3" lift with 31s is a great combo. Crazystang is about right on the money. Ditch the rear swaybar and disco the front when off road. You can get pretty far with a setup like that. you may need to trim a small amount of plastic here and there if you wanna get real flexy offroad. Like a lot of people are saying bastard pack is the way to go. Good leaf springs to use are durango, s10, dakota... something about the same weight. get handy with an angle grinder, you may want to cut these to length. a shackle/bastard combo would be a good setup, if you could swing it.

A great site for starters:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

Browse around there for info on brake line relocation and the like. Lots of useful info.
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I has a lot of fun with just a 3.5 inch lift and 31's. Power was still ok on 3.55's, and it looked great.

I haven't lifted it any higher, and it's clears 32s now.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This was 2 years ago. 31's and the RE 3.5 superflex. RE just got bought by 4 wheel parts so you may be able to get their stuff again.

srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok guys sounds great. I like the stances of them jeeps for sure. I dont have the money to do a gear change and or all that stuff so im looking for a happy medium until i can afford it. I have a feeling ill always have an Xj around but for now i gotta not break this DD. I live in colorado just about 20 minutes from the base of the range and theres some killer trails out there just need some clearence.

Reading through the forums and hearing about the 8.25 outa the 97 makes me wish i woulda bought a few years newer but i doubt ill stress my rear end that much.

@srmitchell thats a nice pick i like the color of that xj.. im born and raised cali miss it alot haha
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 2in bb on my jeep with 235 km2s. And it does well for daily driving and weekend wheeling. You can see it all in my build thread.
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If I were to start out with a stock XJ again.. I would Lock-it and Armor it first. Lift would be totally dictated by the size tires I choose to run and Type of wheeling expected most often.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #15
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Alright... lockers arent cheap but i know from experience of not having them that it would do a world of good... here again im not a mechanice and not very experienced with off roading. May i ask wich end should i lock out first? gonna cost me what like 800$ an end so will be 6 months between the lockers...

And when u mean armor... are you refereing to dif covers?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.