General grabbers on xj anyone??!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > General grabbers on xj anyone??!!

KrawlOff-Road.com Sale EventFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! *STOP UNWANTED LIGHT BAR NOISE* with Pandemic LED Light Ba

Unread 11-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
aidenhardcore

General grabbers on xj anyone??!!

I need new tires really bad For winter and found some 235/70/16 general grabbers. I wanted bfg at but there 200 a tire. I found these in same size for 120 a tire but there p rated passenger tire and no load c like bfg. Does it matter? Will they still be durable? I don't do much off-roading but my stock xj need better tires for snow and I want something better and beefier.

Would the p rated be fine? I would be saving 80 bucks a tire or should I say **** it and get bfg. Thanks. And any pics of grabber 235/70/16 on Cherokee please post. Thanks so much guys

aidenhardcore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
lsmurphy

Generals wear fast.

Nitto
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
imthehink
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know they are pricey, but Iv'e been running BFG All Terrains KO's for 10+ years and the wear and over all capabilities are great. Just switched to the KO2's and they are great as well.
Unread 11-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #4
wyowalsh
1999 XJ Cherokee 

generals are low end, I for the money found firestone destination at to be the best quality and value combination, my daughters XJ just had a set put on for around $100.00 ea,

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

my 99 has 4 new BFG AT/TA/KO

Last edited by wyowalsh; 11-02-2015 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: typo
wyowalsh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #5
3Dog

While begrudgingly contributing to yet another "best tire" thread, a question to the OP is: which "General Grabber" are you referring to? HTS, AT, etc? Not enough information. It is akin to asking if "Goodyear Wranglers" are any good, when there is huge disparity between SRAs, Duratracs, and AT-S. Just sayin'.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #6
boykinjw
1999 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on the firestone destination AT, run them on my WK and love them. The XJ has Cooper ST Maxx, I can't speak to the Generals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyowalsh View Post
generals are low end, I for the money found firestone destination at to be the best quality and value combination, my daughters XJ just had a set put on for around $100.00 ea,

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e&autoModClar=

my 99 has 4 new BFG AT/TA/KO
Unread 11-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
aidenhardcore

Thank you to everyone that responded. I don't know how to individual Reply to each comment. When I was talking about tires I met General grabber ats. I've had bfg at and they were fantastic on my truck but I don't know if they're worth the extra hundred bucks on a xj but I guess from what your saying they are . I was looking at the Firestone tires but they are also p rated. Does it matter between P rated and load c? Does The heavier tire in the BFG matter? If it doesn't then I'll just get them thanks guys so much. Your the best .
Unread 11-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #8
beargibson99xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I may be a little late but you may want to check out m astercraft courser c/t's. I have had several sets on my jeeps and one old blazer they are a nice cross between an a/t and m/t. They work good in snow too. Probably cost more than the grabbers and less that bfg's. I think i paid 160 per tire this year. Those two tread designs are not rated for severe snow. Just my .02 cents, but I would not go with either because they are a light duty a/t.

forumrunner_20151103_081756.jpg

cctl_trf.jpeg
beargibson99xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
3Dog

If your primary purpose is snow traction, and aren't going to spring for winter-only tires, then the Firestone Destination AT are rated well and a good choice. Don't worry about the p-rating; in fact, that may be a better choice than a heavier c-rated tire for your intended use. A p rated tire will be lighter, may ride better, and get slight better acceleration and MPGs with less rotational mass.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #10
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Walmart- Goodyear wrangler radials p235/75r16 -$82/each

I have a set of p235/75r15s on my 89 XJ and haven't got stuck in mud or anything else, did have 1 tire pop(think I ran over something crossing train tracks) however I haven't had them in snow yet. Have had them about 6 months on my DD and they don't seem to have any wear on them or not much anyways. Figured they'll do until I can save up $1k for some bfg's
JeepinInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Oops thought we were talking about cheap tires my bad!
JeepinInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
beargibson99xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinInJackson View Post
Oops thought we were talking about cheap tires my bad!
I have a set of those on the wifes blazer. They're ok but too soft for me
beargibson99xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #13
Motorcharge
Bandeded

1991 MJ Comanche 

x3 on the Destination A/Ts. Have ran them on a 2wd pickup and an XJ and they did well in all weather conditions, including a foot of snow. They clean out well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
aidenhardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargibson99xj
I may be a little late but you may want to check out m astercraft courser c/t's. I have had several sets on my jeeps and one old blazer they are a nice cross between an a/t and m/t. They work good in snow too. Probably cost more than the grabbers and less that bfg's. I think i paid 160 per tire this year. Those two tread designs are not rated for severe snow. Just my .02 cents, but I would not go with either because they are a light duty a/t.
I am never heard of them before. Seems like a good tire. I'll have to look more info on it and find out what others say. If there cheaper then the bfgs then that's good. Not paying 200 a tire haha. Even if there good enough. Not worth it so I'll look into it. Thanks dude
Unread 11-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #15
aidenhardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dog
If your primary purpose is snow traction, and aren't going to spring for winter-only tires, then the Firestone Destination AT are rated well and a good choice. Don't worry about the p-rating; in fact, that may be a better choice than a heavier c-rated tire for your intended use. A p rated tire will be lighter, may ride better, and get slight better acceleration and MPGs with less rotational mass.
Yeah I was looking at p rated and it might be better then load c. I don't wanna get super super worse mpg lol. It's my daily driver not trail rig so it matters haha. You are right and I agree. I'll look more into the tires and see. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.