Gearing opinion - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2009, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
LeftOfCenterXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Gearing opinion

I just picked up a set of axles for my '88, ratio is 3.55 on them. The 88 currently has 3.07 gears. My question comes in at the fact that I'm planning on running 33's, actually just have to make room and they're in. Anyone ever run this set up? How bad am I gonna be beggin for some gears (4.10, 4.56)?

"Too weird to live, too rare to die"
2000 XJ Silver, 3", 31's DD
88 XJ Blue, 4.5", 33's, Project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
It makes your trolling more credible to be grammatically correct. Lets everyone know you're a legitimate troll, not just one of those poser trolls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-08-2009, 02:54 AM
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

I had 33's and 3.07 gears for almost 2 years. Except for very low speed crawling it didn't bother me too bad. Since my stall speed was so high I found myself feathering the clutch or brake to keep the engine turning when trying to go slow (lower t-case gearing would also help with this). Going up hills or into a strong headwind I often needed to downshift into 4th gear.

I didn't really realize how bad the gearing was until I got new gears. What a great feeling, my Jeep has power again. I can crawl without stalling. Life is good.

To answer your question- You'll want to regear but that setup is doable. With a manual tranny I'd suggest 4.56 or even 4.88 for low speed wheeling, and 4.10 for moderate or higher speed wheeling.

What kind of axles did you get?

'93 Cherokee Sport 4.0 man. 4.5" Black Diamond/ O.M.E., JKS control arms, discos, track bar, rear D44/detroit, 35x12.5 BFGmt's,33x13.5 LTBs,AlloyUSA shafts, oba, Warn M8000 multi-mount
'97 Cherokee Sport 5spd,231, white, stock
'90 Cherokee Pioneer 4.0 auto, 6" homebrew long arm lift, 33x10.5 BFG MT's, etc.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
post #3 of 4 Old 04-08-2009, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
LeftOfCenterXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The axles aren't anything special- 29 spline 8.25 and a HP d30. The axles in the heep right now are a d30 vacuum disco and a d35 w a ton of miles on them.

"Too weird to live, too rare to die"
2000 XJ Silver, 3", 31's DD
88 XJ Blue, 4.5", 33's, Project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
It makes your trolling more credible to be grammatically correct. Lets everyone know you're a legitimate troll, not just one of those poser trolls.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 AM
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There's going to be a difference in feel but if you just let 4th gear wind out a litle longer you could probably cruise pretty easily and I've found myself needing more wheel spin than low speed high RPM crawling. That's an. Dot mind my 4:10s. And I'll be a 35s with them.

Have you looked for some 4:10 geared axles?

-1998 XJ Sport 4.0L-
-6.5" RE/Rustys/RC lift, Custom Y-link LAs, custom shackle relocation boxes, Pro Comp/RE monos-
-315/75/16 Toyo MTs on Moabs-
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.