Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Gas prices caused you to drive your XJ less?

6K views 117 replies 90 participants last post by  charger_340 
#1 ·
I can for sure say that I drive my XJ less now that gas has gone over $3.50/gal. Even with my 4.10s delivering better than stock city mileage, being a college student, I just can't afford it. Luckily I'm close to campus so I can ride my bike to class, downtown, the quicky mart for beer, or walk to the bars. :)

--Dan.

#40 ·
heres a thought, If gas was back down to 2.50 a gallon would you drive more?
or complain about gas prices?

10 years ago gas was 1.19 a gallon and people were complaining then about the price. it will never change no matter how much it goes up or down.

#42 ·
heres a thought, If gas was back down to 2.50 a gallon would you drive more?
or complain about gas prices?

10 years ago gas was 1.19 a gallon and people were complaining then about the price. it will never change no matter how much it goes up or down.
I complained about gas prices a lot less ten years ago... it hasn't been this bad since the last oil shortage.

As it is, I might have to move house, because I can't afford to live away from town anymore - unless I find a much better job, spending the first three hours of my workday paying for the commute just isn't reasonable.

--Bushytails

#45 ·
It costs me $4.09 per gallon now. And I drive only when I have to. Im in the same situation- I ride my bike to school and the grocery store. And Im only getting like 15mpg city with stock gearing :( I also speed and accelerate too fast.

#47 ·
My XJ is the "economical" vehicle in my driveway......

#53 ·
I will second that, I had an '81 4WD with the dual range transfer case, sold at 325000km running great, but dying a slow, cruel, rusty death.

Some of the later model wagons (85-94) also had the dual range case, and they are a better car (OHC engine for more power, larger inside, etc.) I had an '86 ohc 1.8 soob that went 360000kms and was still running like new when I sold it. (30-40 mpg).

I would recommend an 87-up wagon (EFI starting this year, I think) with the 5-speed dual range case. Stay away from the turbo automatics, and the models with electronic suspension.

#57 ·
Just filled up the tank and it cost $78.63 for 20.377 gallons(that's click, click, click and more clicking)...@$3.85.

That's just crazy...I still remember when I started to drive and gas was 99cents. Unbelievable...

I drove around 245 mile before filling up so that's about 12.7 mpg. Correct me if I'm wrong. And that's trying not to go over 2000 rpm while driving.(off the light, stop sign, even merging into traffic)

Maybe something else is going on with the xj that I'm overlooking, I thought I would get a little better mileage.

Still drive the same, just don't take trips to Key West or Naples as often..

#59 ·
Haven't changed anything here. I mostly drive to work and back 7 out of 14 days and do some fishing on local waters so it is not hurting me too much.

#62 ·
I've actually started driving my xj more.... Its the only thing I got that get me 19+ mpg.... I can't really complain..

#63 ·
I drive a bit less, and my driving styles have changed. Now on the interstates when I come up to a steep hill I pull into the super slow lane that is usually only used by 18 wheelers and I feather the throttle just enough to keep in overdrive. But hey, my last drive was 180 miles highway and 80 miles city and I got 20mpg out of that.

#64 ·
I haven't and can't really drive it less, it's my only vehicle. I have, however, changed the way I drive... try not to break 2000 RPMs if I can help it, I let it coast to a stop instead of accelerating to the last minute, try to take more highway routes instead of cutting through congested city areas, I cross into Jersey to buy fuel instead of buying it in PA (I'm a Jersey resident, who lives in PA for school, so when I go home I fill up just before I cross into PA and drive so that I don't have to fill up til I'm back in Jersey).

My mileage still sucks though, 14-16 with a mix of city/highway. I have a cracked exhaust manifold, and it needs a tune up, so hopefully by the end of June once I get some time to do all the maintenance, I'll be back up to 20-21 MPG like last summer.

#65 ·
I have been driving less and walking more since most places i frequent are not far away but I work 18 miles away and theres no bus that goes that way. I tend to just drive slower now and just baby the throttle.

#67 ·
Yup. I bought gas for the first time in 3 weeks today. $20 bucks barely got me 5 gallons. I've been riding my bike a lot lately.

#68 ·
My XJ has been resigned to weekends and long trips. I bought a used 98 Chevy Tracker with low miles and have been using it as my daily driver. It costs around $20-25 to fill up the Tracker from empty and $45-50 to fill up the Jeep from empty and I can go the same distances in each before filling up. The Jeep is paid for so I see no reason to get rid of it anytime soon.

#71 ·
I would have to say I do drive my XJ less it gets about 12-15mpg and it just sucks to pay $70+ to fill up. But I can't say it is really the gas prices that are making me drive less.... I bought a Triumph Speedmaster motorcycle back in Sep and that is way more fun to drive(ride) on nice days. it is just a bonus that it can get 40MPG :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.