gas mileage and top speed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > gas mileage and top speed

ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 11-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
drednme
1996 XJ Cherokee 

gas mileage and top speed

I understand that lifts, monster tires, armor, etc. make a huge difference, but for the guys running closer to stock I was wondering something. I was reading through the 'you know you drive and xj when' thread and I saw a lot of people complaining about crappy gas mileage and struggling for highway speeds. My xj gets upper 20's (28 at the best) mpg, and when we pulled our little travel trailer to texas and back (1500 pounds and wider than the jeep) we had no problem running the 80 mph speed limit with plenty of pedal left. Mine does have a few mild mods, to improve gas mileage and is a 4.0 5 speed with the stock 3.07 gears but back when I used to use my moms 99 4.0 auto it still pulled low to mid 20's mpg which I consider great for a 4x4 suv with gobs of power. Is this just a case of a vocal minority or are my experiences far from typical?

drednme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think any mid size SUV can hit 28mpg. Without being diesel/hybrid.

My 4.0L 5 speed tj could just barely eek out 20mpg driving very gingerly.

Your numbers sound impossible.
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Vocal minority imo. I think a lot of people know 4.0s will run forever with not much more than good oil change intervals so they tend to neglect maintenance elsewhere and lose MPGs over it. How many of those people have never run fuel treatments or seafoam and have never cleaned the inside of their motor, fuel systems, ect. How many have never replaced fuel filters, don't change their air filter often enough, don't rotate tires, ect? How many leave their Jeeps full of crap like tools, tool boxes, winches, roof racks, full size big spares, ect on a daily basis when they don't need to? It's a lot easier to lose MPGs than it is to gain them and it's a lot easier to unintentionally neglect things that negatively impact them.

I keep mine as empty as possible, keep my fuel and air systems maintained and about the only MPG mod I haven't done (yet) is upgrade my fuel injectors and I still get great MPGs for being on 33s and almost all suburban miles. My only power issues come from a not being regeared.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

28mpg is a bit above the norm, but I'm sure Charley3 would like to hear about your mileage improving mods.
You can find him here > My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter Your Jeep in the April COTM Contest... NAOW!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
drednme
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Living in kansas is the biggest one, No hills and no vehicle inspection means you can play fast and loose with the exhaust. I only hit 28 once, but consitantly run 25. I fully tuned up every thing with top of the line parts, 8.8 accel wires and super coil, true cold air, replaced the stretched timing chain, ditched the airplane prop. I am looking for a manual steering box so I can delete the p steer pump, I have collected 4 of the injectors for the swap, and I'm thinking of making a tb spacer when I fix my exhaust leak. My goal is to hit 30 so I can show my wife up in her 4cyl 5 speed fwd vue.
Unread 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

In my wrangler I swear to god I was getting like 8 mpg. My cherokee gets a little more but not much. Its rated at 15.. Im guessing it gets 12 at the most, and I can't really get above 50 mph without white knuckles.
DirtyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

All kinds of **** can effect MPGs. Everything from the oil you run to the air where you live. This thread does a great job of giving you ideas on what to change or improve on for better gas mileage.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/f...-sucks-721394/

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #8
drednme
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRabbit View Post
In my wrangler I swear to god I was getting like 8 mpg. My cherokee gets a little more but not much. Its rated at 15.. Im guessing it gets 12 at the most, and I can't really get above 50 mph without white knuckles.
Mine had a horrible death wobble when I got it, I put on a heavy duty steering stabilizer (old one was completely blown) and a new wheel bearing and at 75 I only have a little tire balancing off. Guess mine must of been pretty well taken care of in previous hands.
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
CherokeePpl
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Old thread, I know, but I get like 12-14 MPG in my 2000 xj. I'll have to check out that thread you posted to see if there's anything I can mess with to try and get a little better.
CherokeePpl is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.