Is a front locker ever detrimental off road? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Is a front locker ever detrimental off road?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 03-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Xride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,260
Is a front locker ever detrimental off road?

I am really battling about putting a lock right in the front of my jeep. I don't DD it, in fact, only drive it to off road it.

So is there times when off road that being locked is worse? Overall would it be a good mod to reduce the need to winch?

__________________
1999 XJ, black, 4x4, NP231 Command Track, 8.25 rear.
3" Old Man EMU, 31" x 10.5" x 15" Cooper AT/3
Xride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #2
Anticanman
One eloquent mother****er
 
Anticanman's Avatar
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ripon, California
Posts: 18,427
Depends on how tightly you need to turn or how much snow is on the ground.
__________________
Luck Favours The Prepared
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Xride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,260
Hmm sometimes there is lots of snow on the ground, or the ground is just icy. Like today.

Would something like this work?
http://northridge4x4.ca/shop/4x4posi...agment-plk-900
Or does that need a different kind of locker?
__________________
1999 XJ, black, 4x4, NP231 Command Track, 8.25 rear.
3" Old Man EMU, 31" x 10.5" x 15" Cooper AT/3
Xride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 01:32 AM   #4
Muddy97Cherokee
Poor College Student
 
Muddy97Cherokee's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mustang, Oklahoma
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Hmm sometimes there is lots of snow on the ground, or the ground is just icy. Like today.

Would something like this work?
http://northridge4x4.ca/shop/4x4posi...agment-plk-900
Or does that need a different kind of locker?
That is for the CAD. It replaces the vacuum actuator with that so you only have to engage the posi instead of worrying about the vacuum not working.
A selectable locker is best. Run $700+ IIRC. A ratcheting locker works but when you need to turn sharp it doesn't help. And you can easily break a shaft while turning sharp and flooring it. And in snow and ice lockers are not good at all. Chains should be used if you're wheeling in those conditions. IMO, the only locker to have is a selectable one.
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
VegasGT
Bolt Snapper
 
VegasGT's Avatar
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Leitchfield, KY
Posts: 3,328
I have an Aussie up front. If youre not streeting it I see no reason not to go for it, mines been the best money Ive spent for the trails. I dont really feel that turnings any harder on the trails, it gives just fine when I need it to, just makes a little noise.

Whatever you do, lock SOMETHING. Trying to wheel any legit trails on open diffs is just pissing in the wind. Hell in a way I think its easier on parts, I dont have to give my rig NEAR the amount of throttle to get where Im going. Things Id have to have momentum or bump a ledge for when I was open, now it just pulls up and goes. No drama.

Selectable would be ideal if it was street driven a lot and snow is involved but that scenario aside I DD mine and dont even know its there at all in 2WD. For what you are doing save your money and go with a drop in auto locker.
__________________
- '99 XJ -
Lifted, Locked, Stiffened
4.5"/35's

July 2013 COTM
VegasGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Xride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGT View Post
I have an Aussie up front. If youre not streeting it I see no reason not to go for it, mines been the best money Ive spent for the trails. I dont really feel that turnings any harder on the trails, it gives just fine when I need it to, just makes a little noise.

Whatever you do, lock SOMETHING. Trying to wheel any legit trails on open diffs is just pissing in the wind. Hell in a way I think its easier on parts, I dont have to give my rig NEAR the amount of throttle to get where Im going. Things Id have to have momentum or bump a ledge for when I was open, now it just pulls up and goes. No drama.

Selectable would be ideal if it was street driven a lot and snow is involved but that scenario aside I DD mine and dont even know its there at all in 2WD. For what you are doing save your money and go with a drop in auto locker.
The ausie is basically the same as the light right, correct?

I have the rear locked, and love it.

I don't street my jeep, just to and hopefully from the trails. Yesterday there was snow and ice (we were on the hard pack of sled trails) and when I fell off the trail I just dug to the ground 18" below. If I had a locker in the front too I could have climbed out, but the tire that needed traction would just sit there while the other one spun, highly frustrating.
Basically the same thing happened earlier, trying to climb a step, rears would just spin in the lose snow, but the fronts were on the dry hard packed dirt.. well the one tire was, the other was in some loose dirt, so again the wrong tire was spinning. Had to hit it with a little speed to make it up.

Was out with my buddy that has open/open, and damn he was getting frustrated.

I just can't justify the 1000 bucks for a selectable (or well at least 700) when the lock right is under 300. I don't really have an issue with pulling it in and out of 4wd a hundred times if I do street it in the winter the odd time. I'd imagine on the highway the front locker would be fine.
__________________
1999 XJ, black, 4x4, NP231 Command Track, 8.25 rear.
3" Old Man EMU, 31" x 10.5" x 15" Cooper AT/3
Xride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
martinfan
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: , South Jersey
Posts: 44
+ 1 For some sort of selectable, the ability to disengage is something you really don't give much thought. I run ARB front and rear. There are times when I unlock the front to give some sort of left to right "traction" ever seen locked front just slide left to right "clawing" for traction? Like on a wet rock or muddy hill? Unlock the front and the rear can push past that point. I will admit after wheeling for years open I had to learn to drive with the lockers.
martinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Xride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinfan View Post
+ 1 For some sort of selectable, the ability to disengage is something you really don't give much thought. I run ARB front and rear. There are times when I unlock the front to give some sort of left to right "traction" ever seen locked front just slide left to right "clawing" for traction? Like on a wet rock or muddy hill? Unlock the front and the rear can push past that point. I will admit after wheeling for years open I had to learn to drive with the lockers.
Being locked front and rear wouldn't the rear push you past anyways?
__________________
1999 XJ, black, 4x4, NP231 Command Track, 8.25 rear.
3" Old Man EMU, 31" x 10.5" x 15" Cooper AT/3
Xride is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
TJ_Tim
Interwebz Specialists
 
TJ_Tim's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wheelersburg, OH
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Being locked front and rear wouldn't the rear push you past anyways?
The rear would eventually but the theory is that unlocked you basically aim the front of the vehicle to where you want it to go. Instead of the locked front pulling you where it can find traction the back can push you straight up.
__________________
1969 Mercury Cougar 351w
1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0
2009 Yamaha V Star 950

Build Thread: Operation Funsized
TJ_Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs, MO
Posts: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xride View Post
Being locked front and rear wouldn't the rear push you past anyways?
Yes and no.

Locking the rear can push you over obstacles that ordinarily might be troublesome. However, it can't always push the entire rig through/over the obstacle - which is where having the front locked so it can pull the front over/through is beneficial.

Sometimes having just the rear locked will cause the back to push the front too far making it difficult to steer through an obstacle.

Like mentioned above, having one of the diffs locked is better than none. Having both locked is arguably better than one. It depends on the driver and knowing how the rig is set-up.
__________________
~Mike~

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Xride
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton Alberta
Posts: 1,260
So by locking both I will create understeer when it's a little slick out. Is that the idea?
As long as it's a bit grippy it'll oversteer?
And lots grippy I'll have chattering from binding.

Is that about right?
__________________
1999 XJ, black, 4x4, NP231 Command Track, 8.25 rear.
3" Old Man EMU, 31" x 10.5" x 15" Cooper AT/3
Xride is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.