Front fender trimming - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Front fender trimming

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #1
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Front fender trimming

So I need to trim my fenders, but I'm not sure how much. I've got a 4.5" lift with quick discos and 33in tires. I've got stock icon wheels with 1.5" wheel spacers. I popped a flare off already without even disconnecting the discos so I know I'm going to have to trim. I've heard on measuring with bump stops or something along those lines but can't figure it out! I'm running the day star extended bump stops right now.

Trainhop91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

The only way to know for sure will be to disconnect and flex it. Mark where it's hitting, then trim. You may have to change bumpstops to get the tire contact completely under control, depends on your setup.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 11:00 PM   #3
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
The only way to know for sure will be to disconnect and flex it. Mark where it's hitting, then trim. You may have to change bumpstops to get the tire contact completely under control, depends on your setup. - Justin
Don't really have a way to flex it out. I'm going to TRY and get something set up tomorrow but I don't think It will be enough to flex it out fully.
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:08 AM   #4
00XJMikey
Broke XJ Lover

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainhop91 View Post
Don't really have a way to flex it out. I'm going to TRY and get something set up tomorrow but I don't think It will be enough to flex it out fully.
Based off my current tire size (31x10), lift height (3.25"), and bumpstops (2" coil seat pucks, 2" ext rear). If you trace your factory flare like I did (removes about 3" of fender), you'll only need to add a 3" coil seat spacer to stop rubbing at full stuff, and gain a small gap between your tire and fender.
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #5
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00XJMikey
Based off my current tire size (31x10), lift height (3.25"), and bumpstops (2" coil seat pucks, 2" ext rear). If you trace your factory flare like I did (removes about 3" of fender), you'll only need to add a 3" coil seat spacer to stop rubbing at full stuff, and gain a small gap between your tire and fender.
I thought about tracing that line but wasn't sure if that was overkill. I've got the daystar extended bum stops so I do t need the seat pucks. Guess I'm going to be tracing the line from where the flares rubbed.
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
00XJMikey
Broke XJ Lover

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I thought about tracing that line but wasn't sure if that was overkill. I've got the daystar extended bum stops so I do t need the seat pucks. Guess I'm going to be tracing the line from where the flares rubbed.
IMO, overkill is when the washer fluid tank is showing. Using the stock flare as a template leaves the fender lip sitting right below the tank.

You still may need coil seat bumpstops. Even with 3.25" of lift, I was still rubbing my fenders. I'm now using 2" coil seat stops with my stock stops, and I have just enough clearance to turn the tires with zero to slight rubbing.
Unread 03-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Vassago
@hot_beef_sundae

2001 XJ Cherokee 

with that set up and 2" bumpstops i trimmed to where the fender is stamped for the flare.

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:19 AM   #8
Muddy97Cherokee
Poor College Student

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bumpstops save! But if you have to, trace the stock flare. It's the best way to do it IMO. Either cut along that line or cut and fold it up to it. The rear has to be cut and folded unless you want to be able to see ground from the inside.
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:26 AM   #9
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have 3" bump stop added up front and 33x12.50s.

My first trim I cut around the bevel to keep the lip because I thought it looked good, definitely not enough. The tires got into the metal when wheeling .

So now I just trimmed around where the top of the flares met the body.. I'll be testing it out April 19th and really hope it's enough.
Unread 03-31-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510
I have 3" bump stop added up front and 33x12.50s. My first trim I cut around the bevel to keep the lip because I thought it looked good, definitely not enough. The tires got into the metal when wheeling . So now I just trimmed around where the top of the flares met the body.. I'll be testing it out April 19th and really hope it's enough.
Well that's the first place I thought about cutting but I guess not ha. I'll be going to where the top of the flares were at. Got a trip on the 5th and 6th so I'll let you know if I rub!
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
00XJMikey
Broke XJ Lover

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Well that's the first place I thought about cutting but I guess not ha. I'll be going to where the top of the flares were at. Got a trip on the 5th and 6th so I'll let you know if I rub!
Good choice, and it looks pretty badass when you follow the factory opening lines.

Unread 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainhop91
Absolutely, keep us(me) posted. It's not that I'm scared to cut more it's that when you want it to look good it takes effort.
Unread 03-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
00XJMikey
Broke XJ Lover

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510 View Post

Absolutely, keep us(me) posted. It's not that I'm scared to cut more it's that when you want it to look good it takes effort.
The easiest way to achieve that is to cut within 1/8th or so of your line (doesn't have to be perfect), then use a flap disc to remove the remaining metal. It takes longer, but the payoff is worth the extra effort.
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:23 AM   #14
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawler510
Well I got one side cut today before I ran outta day light. The angle grinder did a pretty good job, just had to keep letting the compresser build back up! I feel as though I should have made my own line closer to where the door hinges. I personally think I cut back to far but it doesn't look to bad ha. Once I spray some spray on bed liner it will clean it up. I'll get a picture for you tomorrow!
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Trainhop91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a picture of the side I did. You can see the inner well sticks out past where I cut so I know I didn't have to cut back as far. But even before I cleaned it up I think it looks good!
image-2548588204.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.