Found body filler, is this normal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Found body filler, is this normal?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Wolf427
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Found body filler, is this normal?

Hey guys,
I have a 1996 Cherokee Sport 4 door and have been doing some work to it recently. When I got it, it had the trim along the bottom of the doors, they were black rubber strips with a red stripe along them. I took them off because they were peeling on the drivers side, and I noticed when I removed the strips on the passenger side it pulled off some stuff underneath. It appears to be body filler of some sort. Looking at the holes underneath the door, there is solid metal with no rust along the entire door, and underneath the body filler, is fresh unpainted metal.

Is this normal?

Unread 07-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
AKIQPilot

2001 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think body filler in that location is normal. More than likely a little fender bender at some point in the past.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Wolf427
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
I don't think body filler in that location is normal. More than likely a little fender bender at some point in the past.
Hmm. I'm not sure if I should scrape it all off, or leave it.
Wolf427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Based on the RUST damage visible in that pic.. Yes body filler is normal.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Wolf427
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
Based on the RUST damage visible in that pic.. Yes body filler is normal.
So just patch it back up and paint it?
Wolf427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Normal, yes.... Correct way of handling rust issues, NO. In reality the NORMAL way these problems get handled, is spray paints, sometimes there is some sanding involved.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Wolf427
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
Normal, yes.... Correct way of handling rust issues, NO. In reality the NORMAL way these problems get handled, is spray paints, sometimes there is some sanding involved.
Its light surface rust. If removing the body filler completely wont make the doors look weird(change the angle, or width etc), then I'll just do that, clean the metal, and paint it black.

Does your '96 have body filler on the bottom of the doors as well? Where the trim normally is.
Unread 07-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
fredrum
1995 XJ Cherokee 

From what I can see in your picture, the metal underneath looks pretty dinged up. My guess is that there was an accident at some point and someone hammered out the damage as best as possible and smoothed it over with body filler. If you leave it on there it will probably continue to rust underneath because moisture can get under the filler, especially now that there is an opening in it. Fixing it the right way would probably involve replacing the entire door or putting on a new lower door skin. I'd check out the other door/fender/whatever to see if anything else is the same way. I guess it all depends on how long you want it to last and how nice you want it to be.
fredrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:40 PM   #9
Wolf427
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrum
From what I can see in your picture, the metal underneath looks pretty dinged up. My guess is that there was an accident at some point and someone hammered out the damage as best as possible and smoothed it over with body filler. If you leave it on there it will probably continue to rust underneath because moisture can get under the filler, especially now that there is an opening in it. Fixing it the right way would probably involve replacing the entire door or putting on a new lower door skin. I'd check out the other door/fender/whatever to see if anything else is the same way. I guess it all depends on how long you want it to last and how nice you want it to be.
The metal underneath is smooth and unfinished. The damage you can see is from me prying off the bondo. Its just some surface scratches. The picture doesn't really do much justice.
Unread 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #10
Wolf427
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So I ended up cleaning the metal, and repairing it with 2 layers of bondo body filler. After that I sanded it down and sprayed it with black paint, then sanded that and coated the lower halves of the doors on both sides with bed liner. Not perfectly flat, but looks good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.