JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/)
-   -   floor rot (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/floor-rot-1708866/)

lyle147 10-21-2013 06:34 PM

floor rot

Well my jeeps got a crazy amount of floor rot...can i just let it go? Does this affect the strength of my jeep? I was going to buy a lift but this has kind of made me hesitant in the idea. The jeep has 250+ thousand miles...is that too many for the ideas i have for this jeep?

Motorcharge 10-21-2013 06:38 PM

Nah, just throw some duct tape over it and you're good to go. Unibody won't twist at all with half the bottom gone. :rolleyes:

lyle147 10-21-2013 06:50 PM

Come on bud...Its pretty obvious i dont have any knowledge on this kind of stuff...just looking for advice. Ive had a lot of help on here with some previous issues. Im just asking

dmill89 10-21-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyle147 (Post 17033482)
Come on bud...Its pretty obvious i dont have any knowledge on this kind of stuff...just looking for advice. Ive had a lot of help on here with some previous issues. Im just asking

Pics would help, if you haven't already pulled the carpet now would be a good time to do so you get a good idea of the extent of the damage (the factory undercoating is good at hiding rust).

If it is as bad as it sounds you will either need to replace the floor pans or start looking for another vehicle. The floor forms the top of the "boxed frame rails", the rails themselves are U-channel spot welded to the floor, the floor also provides lateral bracing for the rails and attach the body sides to the rails.

Severely rotted floors will significantly reduce the structural integrity and stiffness of the uni-frame and body.

lyle147 10-21-2013 08:51 PM

Ok i would love to post some photos but there too large and i cant get my camera to take a smaller resolution photo to post. I will make my way to pull the carpet asap and ill keep working on the photo issue. Any place major i should be looking for with the rust.

rugsucka 10-22-2013 05:20 AM

Sell your jeep and buy a Corolla. If you can't figure out how to resize photos, you'll never keep up on a rust project.

Get off you butt, grab a screwdriver and start poking around. Pull the interior and see what's under ALL the carpet.

Clearly losing part of the floor is going to lessen the strength.

FYI:
Paint has a little known function called "resize"
So does picture manager.

You don't like to try very hard, do you?

NM94XJ 10-22-2013 07:36 AM

Honestly, whats the point of being condescending?
I didnt realize this site came with a pre-requisite of a knowledge base.
He's looking for help, not an attitude...if you dont like the questions asked, move on and feel good about your superior wisdom.
There is nothing that shows the background of the user; if he was 25 with an engineering degree and a long time Jeep owner, sure you can assume some things. Until then, knock it off. Wow.

JeepN4KC 10-22-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NM94XJ (Post 17046002)
Honestly, whats the point of being condescending?
I didnt realize this site came with a pre-requisite of a knowledge base.
He's looking for help, not an attitude...if you dont like the questions asked, move on and feel good about your superior wisdom.
There is nothing that shows the background of the user; if he was 25 with an engineering degree and a long time Jeep owner, sure you can assume some things. Until then, knock it off. Wow.

To a point I would agree, but the OP's questions included whether or not to let the crazy amount of floor rot go. It doesn't take a deep knowledge base or engineering degree to realize this is something that can not go unaddressed.

Like mentioned above - it has to be fully assessed by yanking the carpets, poking around, and then at least neutralized if not cut out and new metal welded in.

Then things like suspension modifications could begin. If the rig runs well then the mileage isn't relevant as far as lifting it. I'd offer some words of caution: with floor rot being excessive the suspension components are likely going to be a major PITA to swap.

lyle147 10-22-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepN4KC (Post 17046522)

To a point I would agree, but the OP's questions included whether or not to let the crazy amount of floor rot go. It doesn't take a deep knowledge base or engineering degree to realize this is something that can not go unaddressed.

Like mentioned above - it has to be fully assessed by yanking the carpets, poking around, and then at least neutralized if not cut out and new metal welded in.

Then things like suspension modifications could begin. If the rig runs well then the mileage isn't relevant as far as lifting it. I'd offer some words of caution: with floor rot being excessive the suspension components are likely going to be a major PITA to swap.

I know i can do the project...i have lots of welding experiance and the tools i will need...i would have no prob beguining the project with some help from you guys it was just the milage that made me hesitant. Jeep runs OK. I payed 600 for it from an old man down the road i was just curious as to how important it truely was i mean it still has frame rails that are solid. I didnt realize how the whole uni-body system worked. Aside from all the critisism, thanks for the tips. I use a droid bionic to access this site and my phone does not have a resize button or an option in my camera to change resolutions...maybe ill find some sort of app. Or have photos sent from another phone to mine to be posted here. Ill pull carpet and seating tonight

Soldier905 10-22-2013 04:23 PM

You can get floor pans for fairly decent prices last time i checked they was around $40-$150(year ago prices) which should be easy since you have experience in welding .

rugsucka 10-22-2013 10:33 PM

If you plan on keeping it long term, read this thread - the top search result for the query "replace floor xj". I'd probably go with something a little thinner than the author as opposed to stamped floor pans.

I stand behind my original sarcastic and feedback infused post. Curiously, the OP was less offended than others were offended for him.

Hopefully it will just be a few areas and the repairs will be minimal and more like patch work.

RWS61 10-23-2013 08:41 AM

Floor rot

Check out my pictures on my floor replacement. Bought the footwell pans from www.raybuck.com ....cheap.... 82.00 ea if I remember correctly. I had to make my own rear pan out of a sheet of 16ga stock though.... Good Luck !!:thumbsup:

lyle147 10-23-2013 09:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think it might be worse than i thought. I didnt get to the front seats last night because my wrench broke. Ill have one soon.

Attachment 780794

Attachment 780786

Agility 10-23-2013 02:16 PM

yikes! subscribed to watch the resurrection!

PHARIS88 10-23-2013 02:25 PM

oh wow that's pretty bad lol, I think this is going to make me finally fix that ac drain plug in my ZJ that keeps leaving water on the passenger side :shhh: Good luck with the repair!

The time now is 01:22 AM.