Flaming - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ/MJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Flaming

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Closed Thread
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #31
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytails View Post
I think we need more stickies... I tried starting a no-start thread with common problems, but it didn't get enough people adding to it. A "click here if your jeep isn't starting" sticky would get rid of 2-3 threads a day...

--Bushytails
the problem with more stickies is the same as people not using the search function. the ones that view the stickies like the FAQ sticky almost every forum has are the ones that will take the time to search before they post. the ones that don't search are also the ones who can't be bothered to see if their answer is already in a sticky. it's certainly a great idea in theory but it's only good if people used them.

Cruzin, the problem I have with people building on old posts is that forum goers in general don't pay much attention to the start date of a post. and instead of reading the whole post they start answering the first question over again. so if someone posts a new question on page 2 of a post from last year, half of the replies are going to be about last year's problem and he's only going to get frustrated because people aren't answering his specific question. the better option is to link to the old post in a new thread. it shows that the poster did search and now has a more pointed question based on that search, and it also might jog some people's memories if they read the old post. still, it's only good if people think like that.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #32
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i think as long as theirs constructive criticism in the post, then flaming is alright. but if you go overboard and talk smack about somebodys rig because you wouldnt have chosen to do the same thing to yours is just low.
Unread 06-29-2008, 10:40 PM   #33
Wazzuppiggy156
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
i think as long as theirs constructive criticism in the post, then flaming is alright. but if you go overboard and talk smack about somebodys rig because you wouldnt have chosen to do the same thing to yours is just low.
I agree with what you're saying completely. Looking at someones rig and the way they have chosen to set it up/use it while thinking to yourself "I would have done it differently" or "That's stupid" is WAY different from actually telling the person that their rig is stupid...You may not always agree with what someone has done, but remember, It's their jeep, not yours...

If you don't have something constructive to say, or can't answer the question without saying "USE THE SEARCH NOOB!" is not the way to bring more members to this forum.

I've been here a while so I understand that seeing the same lift, tires, no start threads gets old...but let's try to keep this forum family oriented
Unread 06-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #34
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinal02 View Post
Cruzin, the problem I have with people building on old posts is that forum goers in general don't pay much attention to the start date of a post. and instead of reading the whole post they start answering the first question over again. so if someone posts a new question on page 2 of a post from last year, half of the replies are going to be about last year's problem and he's only going to get frustrated because people aren't answering his specific question. the better option is to link to the old post in a new thread. it shows that the poster did search and now has a more pointed question based on that search, and it also might jog some people's memories if they read the old post. still, it's only good if people think like that.

I agree with you on adding to old posts. I guess I was commenting on seeing the same type of posts on the same day. Many time I see a post brought up on a certain subject and it will proceed with three questions on the same issue. For example there are two posts on the first page of Cherokee Technical Forum for crank but no starts. I have tried to answer one but feel that having to help both of the same questions is a waste of time. I guess if there was a perfect fix for this it would have been implented along time ago. It's tuff enough to get people to post in the correct forum. I still think that if we just kindly show people in the right direction when it comes to the search function that hopefully in the long run it will decrease the multiple posts on the same subject.

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:
View Cruzin Illusion's Rig
(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #35
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

How about build a page something like this to inform people how to use the search function:

Using The Advanced Search Page
There are some features in the advanced search page that will help you get better search results.

To get to the advanced search page, click on the "Search" link found at the top of all forum pages. In stead of typing your search term in the field that pops up, click on "Advanced Search".

The easiest way to narrow down your results to the most relevant threads is to search titles only in stead of the whole thread. Just enter 1 or 2 keywords that are specific to your topic.

The next trick is to only search specific forums. There's no reason to search OEM Tech if your question is about the pinion seal in your Dana 60.

Maybe you're not sure which tech forum your question would go... search all of the tech forums at once. This will leave out the chapter forums, Non-Tech, etc.

Of course, a lot of time you can rule out OEM Tech, but you're not sure whether to search Mod Tech or Advanced Fab... here is how to search both, without searching OEM Tech

Ever have a question and remember that there was a great thread a while back that could answer it, but can't remember what it was titled? You can search by author too!

Now, if you really want to get down to business. Combine all of these tricks, like so:

Search Operators
"Search Operators" are special characters or words that help narrow down your search results.

By default, the search engine tries to find threads/posts will all the search terms in them. This means there is no need to put AND or + in your query. What this also means is that if you want to find threads with one word or another, you'll need to use the "OR" operator.
Searching for trackbar OR panhard will find threads with either word instead of both.

Putting quotations marks around two search words tells the search engine to only find the words together and in that order. Without quotation marks, two search terms could be in completely different paragraphs or even different posts in the same thread! Another use for quotation marks is when you're trying to search for something with less than 3 characters in it. For instance dana 60 will only actually search for "dana" because "60" is too short. Instead, search for "dana 60".

Using the minus symbol (-) will tell the search engine not to return results that contain the word following it.
Searching for coil -spring would find results with the word "coil", but without the word "spring".

The asterisk (*) is a wild card. It's used to substitute unknown letters. For example...
Searching for convert* will return results with the words "convertible", "converter", "convert", etc

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:
View Cruzin Illusion's Rig
(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #36
bushytails

How about a "Reply directing to FAQ" button, with a big dropdown list of FAQs, that writes a polite (but not too polite) form letter pointing them to the proper url?

(or we could be like ebay, and have a robot answering questions, so a human never even needs to look at 95% of them...)

--Bushytails
bushytails is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #37
Keith
Admin

Constructive criticism is not flaming. Flaming is when two or more people start to engage in personal bickering that does not add any value to the topic.

No matter how much you prompt a user to search lots prefer to post a whole new thread before doing so. That will never change. It's the nature of forums and people have been complaining about it since they started.

Your always going to have some OT banter on forums which Moderators can't keep on top of every little comment however if there is obvious flaming such as a back and forth between people or multiple threads were parties are engaged in bickering that adds no technical value and is personal then please report the posts.

Also please use the Ignore function if a user or users are making the forum not as fun anymore. We view which users are on the most people's Ignore lists which is helpful is weeding out bad users.

Glock Forum
Keith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.