Flaming - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Flaming

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Closed Thread
Unread 06-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer98 View Post
I think people should get flamed when asking really basic questions that a search could answer, or when a question like "what color should I paint my skid" or whatever. You cant leave everything up to the mods to handle, so flaming a person about the search function might prevent repeated offenses.
Flaming is never ok and will not be tolerated

Unread 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #17
bushytails

rustwrangler: Umm, see, this is exactly ****ing why I made the comment in the post above that was deleted - it was quite relevant to the topic being discussed, and a directly reply to Keith's suggestion of reporting posts we don't like. The LAST thing this forum needs is MORE moderator actions. Asking people to get moderators involved will just make the problem worse. Like they may start deleting posts with the description of "Pointless to the topic being discussed" even when they're extremely relevant to the topic.

--Bushytails
Unread 06-29-2008, 05:38 PM   #18
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushytails View Post
rustwrangler: Umm, see, this is exactly ****ing why I made the comment in the post above that was deleted - it was quite relevant to the topic being discussed, and a directly reply to Keith's suggestion of reporting posts we don't like. The LAST thing this forum needs is MORE moderator actions. Asking people to get moderators involved will just make the problem worse. Like they may start deleting posts with the description of "Pointless to the topic being discussed" even when they're extremely relevant to the topic.

--Bushytails
Your comment as stated, was not relevant to the topic, in fact it looked to me like a sarcastic response to the admin's suggestion.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #19
bushytails

Being sarcastic does not make it irrelevant. I'm rather patient (and like helping), and will happily write a full page explaining a mistake, but excessive moderator actions are something that is absolutely not tolerable, and thus suggestions of same don't get quite as nice of replies.

Telling users to report posts they dislike is, at best, going to do nothing but piss people off, and at worst, is going to result in even more instances of moderators screwing up threads. Pissed off people are not prone to friendlier responses, just more likely to flame people rather than provide help. And, moderators screwing up threads is _never_ helpful, nor is telling people to expect authority figures to solve all their problems.

Maybe we should run the forum like your average HOA, where neighbors who dislike each other, rather than discussing it with each other, try to find pedantic reasons to get each other's homes foreclosed. That way there won't be any flaming at all! Oh, there's the sarcasm again... Short answer: Neither reporting posts, nor moderator actions, will help any perceived flaming problem.

--Bushytails
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #20
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Short answer: Neither reporting posts, nor moderator actions, will help any perceived flaming problem.

Please, by all means continue with this line of thinking.

I am the curious type tho. Share with us what we can do as a forum to curb some of flaming. We already understand that we cannot eliminate flaming 100% so no need to touch on that point.
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #21
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Short answer: Neither reporting posts, nor moderator actions, will help any perceived flaming problem.
I respectfully disagree 100%. Of course you will say I'm that way because I am a mod here, but I am on several boards of which I am not a moderator and some of them have gotten so bad due to not enough moderation that I hardly post there any more.

I've been a member and moderator here since the forum was new, around 2001, and have seen its progression and growth. Keith has always wanted this forum to be held to a higher standard than most and that is what draws a lot of people here. It is a friendly forum where people should not be fearful of voicing an opinion.

In the years I have been here I have seen that moderation works. Without it, name calling and personal attacks will become more and more frequent. The same thing goes for posting Off-topic stuff in Tech sections or decent threads being over-run with needless banter. On that note, be thankful you now have the Cherokee General Discussion where things can be more relaxed. But that DOESN'T mean there will be no moderator intervention as the rules about flaming still apply.

My short answer is: if you don't like the level of moderation here, there are plenty of other sites you can frequent instead.

Unread 06-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #22
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Being sarcastic does not make it irrelevant. I'm rather patient (and like helping), and will happily write a full page explaining a mistake, but excessive moderator actions are something that is absolutely not tolerable, and thus suggestions of same don't get quite as nice of replies.

Telling users to report posts they dislike is, at best, going to do nothing but piss people off, and at worst, is going to result in even more instances of moderators screwing up threads. Pissed off people are not prone to friendlier responses, just more likely to flame people rather than provide help. And, moderators screwing up threads is _never_ helpful, nor is telling people to expect authority figures to solve all their problems.

Maybe we should run the forum like your average HOA, where neighbors who dislike each other, rather than discussing it with each other, try to find pedantic reasons to get each other's homes foreclosed. That way there won't be any flaming at all! Oh, there's the sarcasm again... Short answer: Neither reporting posts, nor moderator actions, will help any perceived flaming problem.

--Bushytails
The dictionary defines a moderator as one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion. That's what we do here, we watch the forums for activity that should be moderated. The reported posts are very helpful as we can not be all places at all times. Yes, some reported posts are not post that should be reported and as a Moderator it's our job to look at those posts and determine if it requires action. There are several times when it does not, and there are several time when it does.

There are several different types of members on a forum. Some members require only a warning to make them realize that what they are doing will not be tolerated and they stop. Others, who also have problems with any type of authority, require stiffer actions which usually result in bannings. Most moderators aren't very quick to ban, most will try to difuse the situation and get a thread back on track.

As said many times before, if you have a problem with a moderators actions, address it via Private Message rather than on the open forum. The situation will usually have a better outcome for all parties involved.

So to address your last statement, you couldn't be more wrong, if there is a perceived flaming problem, a simple warning to the flamer usually lets them know they are on notice, if they choose not to listen then they get a tamp ban to cool off and think about it. If they come back from the ban and do it again, they are gone for good...problem solved.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #23
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

So on the repeat questions about the same thing over and over, we are forced to answer. We can't tell them to search?
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #24
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaofDoom View Post
So on the repeat questions about the same thing over and over, we are forced to answer. We can't tell them to search?
You aren't forced to answer if you don't want to.
Yes you can tell someone to search, just don't flame them. Usually a brief answer to their question is nice along with a friendly suggestion about the search feature.

If you don't feel like doing that, then just don't respond and let someone else do it. That is what I do when I get impatient with it. You don't think I've seen my share of repeat questions?

Unread 06-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #25
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Yea just making sure thats what you meant. I def. haven't been here as long as you and I've seen the same question 3 time in a day on a few occasions.
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #26
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

Very true, also put yourself in their position. I've been around here for awhile myself and I also belong to several other forums and it's wierd being the new guy on a different forum.

Perfect example, I just got a car last week and I want to research and find out all I can on how to do some pully swaps and different mods to get some more HP. I go on the forum and search around but still don't find what I need. Atleast not in the areas it should be in, so I post a question. About 50% of the answers were "use the search noob". Was that helpful to me? Not in the least, I did use the search and didn't find what I was looking for. Now my opinion of that forum is that there are a bunch of pricks on it and I don't really want to go back, even though I will because I know the nature of forums, but a lot of people don't and could end up being very good contributors to the site.

So like stated above, if it's a repeat question, if you feel like you aren't going to be helpful then don't respond, or give a quick answer to put them in the right direction and then refer them to the search feature.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
Unread 06-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #27
99XJburton
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Agree with alot of whats been said, sometimes i wont even make a post because i know some of these guys will come out with a sarcastic comment about whats being asked, so most of the time i keep it to myself. Yeah theres a search feature..but this is what this forums for..questions etc. If you see a post you dont like..dont post in it
Unread 06-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #28
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

We need a search smiley.
Unread 06-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have noticed that a post will create other posts of simular type. Not just on Jeepforum but on many of the forums out there. Alot of times rather than hi jacking a thread or adding to the thread that is already in dicussion a simular post will be started. I think that educating members on the search function and encouraging members to add to the discussion on a topic that is already posted is a good start to reducing the number of duplicate posts. I believe that this issue will never go away fully do to new members joining all the time. But if we as a group educate newer members in a constructive way we might be able to minimize the amount of multiple posts on the same issue. I am a true believer in helping others that live in your area. If you have a couple hours in your day to show/assist in a project such as a door removal (doorless mod) you will not only make new friends but you will educate others. Why not spend two hours with someone to help show them how to do one door rather watch them struggle online for two days trying to get a couple of bolts loose. I have made many friends this way. It is very tough to try explain something through words online especially if they are new to the wheeling/mechanical world. Everyone had to learn sometime and why not pass on what someone might have taught you or what you have picked up from personal experience.

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:
View Cruzin Illusion's Rig
(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Unread 06-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #30
bushytails

I think we need more stickies... I tried starting a no-start thread with common problems, but it didn't get enough people adding to it. A "click here if your jeep isn't starting" sticky would get rid of 2-3 threads a day...

--Bushytails
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.