Fix my 91cherokee RUST Problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Non-Technical Forum > Fix my 91cherokee RUST Problem?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-19-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
tv91cherokee
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Fix my 91cherokee RUST Problem?

I have just purchased my first Jeep and am new to this forum. I went out and bought a 1991 jeep cherokee laredo with the 4L I6 automatic with 4x4. I only plan to use the jeep to get me through the fargo winter without being stranded. What precautions would you guys take with a jeep that is a 1991 before driving it everyday through a winter. Looks like it needs coolant, oil change, and the rear main seal looks like it could be a bit of a leaker. Surprisingly it doesn't look too bad for what I paid and given the odometer reading of 226,700 miles. Any pointers on what to look for that could be a potential problem come winter would be great. Thanks

tv91cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
tv91cherokee
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Rust Problem Almost Forgot

The driver side door has an astounding amount of rust. Is there anyway in particular I should go about fixing it. I am on a tight budget.
tv91cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #3
Adam
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Do you live near a pick n pull? You can buy replacment doors for 50 dollars. Most older jeeps leak, if its hemorrhaging oil then get the leaks squared away. If it's just a few drops here or there i wouldnt sweat it too much. Stay on top of oil/filter changes and that str8 six will last. We are very visual people here on jeep forum, we like lots of pictures. Sounds like a great cherokee.
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
rsurran

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm surprised you are not talking about a lift with the amount of snow you must get. You can put some larger tires on your jeep without lifting it. You can research the forums for sizes. I would put the biggest tires on it I could. I'd definitly look into remote start! Good luck with it. Will it snow anytime soon?

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv91cherokee View Post
The driver side door has an astounding amount of rust. Is there anyway in particular I should go about fixing it. I am on a tight budget.
Often, you can sand blast, bondo, prime, paint, clear coat. However if the rust is a really bad, you can cut it out and weld a patch in and follow the above list. However, I would just find a new door if the rust is seriously bad. It depends on where its at and how serious.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.